Premium
join:2007-04-06
Nicaragua
Reviews:
·deltathree

1 edit

Mail Server

Good day all:

I hope this is the right place to ask but if not, I would appreciate the mod to move this post to the corresponding place.

I have a long time without setting up an mail server.

I need to install and set up a mail server from zero with 3 different domains and this needs to be secure.

Can I ask - what would you recommend in terms of O.S. ? Any online set up guide recommendation?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
You did not mention any requirements to your prospective mail server. How many users, how many domains, what protocols it should support, spam protecting options, etc.

From my experience I may recommend to look at hMailServer. It's free email server for Microsoft Windows. It's very stable and you can make it secure. My clients always connect to this server using SSL. It 's very flexible and you may set configuration for supporting multiple domains, accounts, aliases, etc. as well as use a lot of different tools to protect users form potential incoming spam.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

margioa
Premium
Nicaragua
Reviews:
·deltathree
said by OZO:

You did not mention any requirements to your prospective mail server. How many users, how many domains, what protocols it should support, spam protecting options, etc.

# of users: ~ 60
# of domains: 3
protocols: POP, SMTP
spam protection: need recommendation plz.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
I've used hMailServer and you can use built-in anti-spam methods or use built-in links to clamav or spam assassin (install these separately and hMailServer will set up links).

I've gotten good results with the built-ins and can post screens of values I used to "rate" spam to get you started.
--
Why are they called "progressives" when their policies are from 1917?

OZO
Premium
reply to margioa
said by margioa:

said by OZO:

# of users: ~ 60
# of domains: 3
protocols: POP, SMTP
spam protection: need recommendation plz.

You can get it all with hMailServer.

I don't use any additional anti-spam tools, except what is offered by hMailServer itself. In Settings | Anti-spam | DNS blacklists I've added two entries: zen.spamhaus.org and bl.spamcop.net. And in Settings | Anti-spam | SURBL servers I've added multi.surbl.org. That effectively allows me to block 99.9% spam. You may search hMailServer forum. They have a lot of good advises there.
--

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to margioa
For ~60 users that's pretty much business level.
May be really worth looking into Exchange and have all the bells and whistles...

OZO
Premium
How much licensing would cost for running Exchange server with 60 users?
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by OZO:

How much licensing would cost for running Exchange server with 60 users?

Depends a lot on how much Microsoft kool-aid you already drink to determine what licensing agreement level you're at. All pricing below

Basic pricing for Exchange CALs are $70/user or device. Software assurance probably would be another $35-40 on top of that. Exchange Standard is $625-1000. On top of that you'll also need a Windows Server license ($400) and a Server CAL ($20) for each user or device if you don't already have server CALs for your user. While not required, you pretty much must have Outlook to make use of the full functionality of the Exchange server and that's $70 each user or device unless you already have it as part of an Office package. All this doesn't include the cost for the server(s) and add on features and services. MSFT discontinued Forefront Security for Exchange and has some built in antispam/virus/malware, but I believe it's fairly basic and not an "enterprise" solution without add ons. This also doesn't include the cost for training or administrating the server. It's not rocket science, but it's also not trivial either, especially if something goes wrong or your setup deviates from cookie-cutter.

Microsoft use to have SBS that was good for up to 75 users/devices but they ditched that in favor of going "to the cloud" with Office365 and related services. There hosted Exchange starting at around $4/user/month and going up depending on what your needs are.

If you are a non-profit you can get cheaper pricing through TechSoup, but it doesn't sound like that's likely the case.

OZO
Premium
So it's like $1,400 for server part and additionally for 60 users $200*60 = $12,000. That's $13,400 total. Pretty steep price for some "bells and whistles"...

Thank you, cdru See Profile
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
said by OZO:

So it's like $1,400 for server part and additionally for 60 users $200*60 = $12,000. That's $13,400 total. Pretty steep price for some "bells and whistles"...

If you're starting from scratch, yes, it's a very steep price. If you already have other Windows servers, the server CALs are already purchased.

If you're looking JUST for a mail server, for 60 people I wouldn't even consider Exchange. If you're looking for the whole shebang with calendering, public folders/mailboxes, delegating access, integration with AD, large multi-server deployments with load balancing and high availability, then Exchange can be great. Even for just basic calendering, there are a few alternatives but nothing that really comes as close to a solid product as what Exchange offers.

margioa
Premium
Nicaragua
Reviews:
·deltathree
said by cdru:

If you're looking JUST for a mail server, for 60 people I wouldn't even consider Exchange.

Only mail server is required. What would you suggest?

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
reply to OZO
doesn't pretty much every business already have the Windows servers and associated CALs? Isn't Office already part of the business tools used? If so you are only looking at a minor cost for adding Exchange, and that minor cost is absolutely worth it IMHO...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to margioa
said by margioa:

Only mail server is required. What would you suggest?

As other's have suggested, hMailServer if you are Windows Server based.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

If so you are only looking at a minor cost for adding Exchange, and that minor cost is absolutely worth it IMHO...

Define minor cost. $70 a user just for the exchange user CAL, which would NOT already be purchased puts your cost at $4200 before you even factor in the Exchange server license, Windows server license (which running exchange on it's own dedicated server is strongly encouraged if not required for the latest version) plus realistically a few thousand for decent server-grade hardware. If any of those users are external users, then the server CALs may not have been purchased.

I priced priced out a Exchange setup for my wife's work of ~35 people. Even with them qualifying for non-profit pricing through TechSoup for Microsoft, they were still looking at too much of a bill for them to easily swallow. They could absolutely make use of Exchanges features and even just their calendering alone would be invaluable enough to justify it if they had the money laying around. Not every company just has the money sitting there.

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
said by cdru:

Define minor cost.

You're presumably already spending $500 for a computer + $200 for Office = $700. That's $42k before even factoring in the cost of servers, support personnel, DR procedures, internet access and even salaries for those who work... And you're actually adding a productivity tool... I don't think any of the freebies have an actually usable web interface so you can access mail from anywhere or mail push for mobiles... what you pay is what you get...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
said by cowboyro:

You're presumably already spending $500 for a computer + $200 for Office = $700. That's $42k before even factoring in the cost of servers, support personnel, DR procedures, internet access and even salaries for those who work... And you're actually adding a productivity tool...

All those are valid points. Yet it doesn't change the fact that it's still can be a large cost that hasn't previously been budgeted.

I don't think any of the freebies have an actually usable web interface so you can access mail from anywhere or mail push for mobiles... what you pay is what you get...

OP explicitly stated he just needed a mail server. Web interface, push for mobiles, etc I see as enhancements that go beyond just a mail server. Yes they can be helpful, useful, whatever. But they also may be completely unnecessary.

As to getting what you pay for, I guess exim, postfix, sendmail, and all the other open source mail servers must be crap since you don't pay for those either. Just ignore that any one of their market shares are as big if not bigger than Exchange's.

Exchange is a great product that has an extremely extensive feature list. Such a feature list comes with a price, and that price is paying for a lot of things that likely would not be used for just 60 users.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to margioa
you can setup an mail server in linux like Ubuntu with iredmail free edition.