share rss forum feed

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to typoprone

Re: [BC] Broadband 100+ sucks; Shaw customer service sucks worse

Ok Let me try to help. OP, you are on wifi A/B/G which maxes out at 54 Mbps!!. You need to use Wifi N or NG or Dual mode N.

Ask the Shaw reps to put your router in bridge mode. Now BUY A GOOD ROUTER. Buy one with a Dual band N (300 Mbps) capable router. This wont be cheap, but it is worth it. Cheap routers cant even handle 100 Mbps on their wired ports! I recommend these:

1. Asus RT-N53 ($63 at FS)
2. Buffalo WZR-300HP ($70 at FS)

From your speeds, it also looks like you are on a CROWDED wifi channel. The new router will definitely have a 5GHz antenna, and not many people have a 5GHz wifi card. Use this band. You will be able to get 100Mbps if you choose your channel correctly.

Getting the wifi signal right is like an art - you have to put some effort into getting the speeds. 100Mbps is very fast but it needs some work.
--
Bell Canada: It is “Preposterous" that consumers should get content they want on their cellphones.

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to Jumpy
The capacity is saturated by poor business decisions.

300 channels of crap that most people don't want -- a dying medium.

Pardon me while I have very little sympathy for government mandated monopolies, industry collusion, severe lack of innovation, and mass media corporation supported garbage.

The world will move forward eventually. A disruptive technology, dying model, and the continually dropping prices of delivering the service will all take their toll.

To address your comment on urban areas being more expensive.

This "problem" you cite of nodes being congested doesn't make sense.

Deploying to high density is simplified. The problem of node congestion is not a problem but the obvious result of having *lots of customers*. High density and congested nodes means a large number of subscribers.

If the provider is overselling their capacity to increase profit margins then they will suffer for that.

said by Jumpy :

Given that cable's RF capacity is consumed, and as a result the capital needed to provide service is increased, by numbers of active subscribers and not location or distance of active subscribers, that statement doesn't really hold. Rural areas do need to have longer cable runs, but you need far less headend hardware to provide service to a given area. In high density areas you aren't running the massive cables everywhere, but you need a LOT more hardware to provide the last mile to higher population of users.

Due in part to the need to carry television on the same wire, and the need to keep analogue television available (can you imagine how many upset retirees there'd be if they couldn't get local stations on their non-digital equipment) at CATV 3+ (~60Mhz+) the capacity available to internet isn't as expandable as a fiber or pure IPTV deployment; you have to segment to expand, which means more expensive gear. That gear needs a home, and the rent for that home doesn't come cheap when you're dealing with urban centers. If you have no more room available you can't segment or offer fast(er) speeds because physics is a nasty old witch.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
The capacity is saturated by poor business decisions.

Like Analog TV stations...?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

crazydevil70

join:2013-04-20
Sault Ste Marie, ON
reply to typoprone
Shaw has been ripping customers off for a long time, they just upgraded me to 100mbps and mine jumps up and down from 80mbps to 16mbps, most of the time its low 30mbps, did live chat and was told in was a node down and would take a few weeks to fix, when I asked when the node went down she said about a week ago. so to me shaw upgraded me knowing they could provide steady speed but charge me anyways, untill I complained, now they wanna down grade me to 20mbps till its repaired.. as for wireless. this is what I learned, as long as all devises connected wireless are using wireless N then you should get the speed your supposed to get, however if you have any device using B/G then the router down grades all devices to that and you get a slower speed, so make sure all wireless devices are N on the network, also you can set the router to N only to make sure.

DarthElvis

join:2013-06-03
v7v1d4
reply to ilianame
said by ilianame:

OP, YOU ARE THE REASON that:

- Shaw hold time is 15+
- Shaw reps are bitter
- Shaw service sucks
- The world is going to hell

There are many things that COULD be better with Shaw, like PRICE for example,
but as long as there are people like YOU to tie up their resources with utmost non-sense, harassment and trolling, their prices will keep growing. FFS use google, do research, and never do speed tests on wireless.

It is because of YOUR mind set and the misguided preconceptions that Shaw ACTUALLY offers these POS combo boxes. If everyone was enlightened and adept with technology, Shaw would be rightly responsible to provide an Ethernet jack to you, with 2 DHCP assigned IPs provisioned, and we wouldn't have to deal with all the useless extras that are put in for people like YOU.

Your post above is an embarrassment and a testament to shed some light on the kind of ignoramuses that exist in the world and how wrongly entitled people can get - THREE Shaw reps told you the same thing, even tried to come up with a half-baked crappy analogy to deliver the message to your liquor drenched brain.

Your argument is moot, your wireless devices should be shoved up your DMZ and all your MACs should be permanently blacklisted.

You nice?

But you right.

KernelKurtz

join:2012-06-25
reply to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

said by fender:

The cost of the last mile is trivial for those of us who live in large buildings where customer density is high.

Again back to my point of urban customers subsidizing rural last miles.

That is a misconception on your part. You still require X amount of ports on a CMTS, supply X amount of channels. The cabling requirement is less, but the device that powers the services still has the exact same requirements.

^this

The cabling is insignificant in urban areas really. Though in those less dense places it matters more.