morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit

[Cable] DCM476 Does it Assign DHCP Internal Ips and Route?

I realize its not a router but its weird they call it a modem/gateway so i am curious if i plug in a 8 port gigabit switch and Just hook everything up to that will the modem Assign me Ips and manage it? I cannot find a webgui of the ip or any specific information on the Technicolor page etc.. anyone with said modem able to weigh in?

Decided i don't care if it does i like my netgear now if only i can find a way to make it support more than Dyndns .
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
This is what my Motorola SB6121 states:

quote:
DHCP Server Enabled
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range.

I've never seen the webGUI for the Thompson/Technicolor modems but sounds like it's the same type of deal. Take a look in the GUI or the manual.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Its in the mail P:) heh oh well will stick with my new netgear it seems to be working and i found a dd-wrt for the v3 so now i am satisfied.
--

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
it won't do any routing/sharing, it's a bridge device that will pass through the DHCP requests. you will be able to get two IPs on Rogers territory I believe.

the only thing you can do with the modem is connect to 192.168.100.1 and see the stats.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

if i plug in a 8 port gigabit switch and Just hook everything up to that will the modem Assign me Ips and manage it?

No. It will assign only ONE IP (okay, well maybe two) address to the first PC that asks, and no more. And it will not provide any kind of firewalling, so everyone on the internet would be able to directly attack that PC.

Needs a proper "router/firewall" between the modem and the switch.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Thanks figured that might be the case just so many devices are routers now wanted to double check if it was going to do the job or if i needed a new router going with 150/10 so gigabit upgrades required.
--

mkay

join:2008-04-13
Kingston, ON
reply to morisato
192.168.100.1 is the default gateway to the web ui.

it only has status/stats/log

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jmck
I'm not sure about the Thompson modems, but I know the Motorola SB612x will in fact assign DHCP private addresses and act as a router. Though of course it doesn't have an SPI Firewall and many other features. Quick frankly most hardware firewalls in consumer routers are junk to begin with anyway, so it's not much loss if you don't need stuff like QoS or other features.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by TypeS:

Quick ["quite", not "quick"] frankly most hardware firewalls in consumer routers are junk to begin with anyway

That's an interesting assertion. Based upon what, though?