share rss forum feed

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said

join:1999-09-05
North TX, US
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

[Tomato] Dead WAN Port On WRT54GL

We had a power cut tonight due to a thunderstorm tonight (happens a lot around here) and when it came back up my trusty WRT54GL which has been with me through thick and thin started having some issues.

At first it wouldn't turn on at all, then when I removed the power cord completely for a minute or so then plugged it back in, the front lights kept flashing but would do nothing else. When I then powered it off then on for a second time it seemed to boot as normal, however both the Internet port and the first LAN port seem to be completely DOA.

I have tried all the different ports, and while LAN 2, 3 and 4 seem to work fine (the corresponding light lights up on the front of the router and I have access to its GUI through the internal IP address), LAN 1 and Internet definitely seem to have gone to a better place.

From Googling around it seems that this is a very common problem, and at the end of the day I have had this unit for a good five years now so I cannot really complain.

I have read that you can apparently change port configurations around, but do not fully understand how to do this. I am looking to disable the default Internet port and move it to LAN 2 (ideally), and my two wired devices can sit on LAN 3 and LAN 4.

Using Tomato 1.28, can anyone help me to do this? I have found similar things done on other forums, but not with the exact same setup I have.
--
My PC Gaming Blog
»www.gaffonline.com

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said

join:1999-09-05
North TX, US
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Damn, I nearly had it!

Using instructions I found here: »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports I figured out that from the following table:

0  = port 4
1  = port 3
2  = port 2
3  = port 1
4  = WAN
5  = CPU internal
5* = CPU internal default

I needed to do the following:
nvram set vlan0ports="0 1 5*"
nvram set vlan1ports="2 5"

"Success", I thought to myself, before realising that it hadn't worked.

When I telnetted back into the router and checked what the assignments were, they came back as:
vlan0ports=3 2 1 0 5*
vlan1ports=2 5

For some reason it keeps putting port 2 in both vlan0 and vlan1, and I assume this is the reason that it isn't working.

I have tried three times and it isn't a typo; I have no idea why it keeps putting 2 back into vlan0 when I didn't specify that. Maybe it's because these instructions are for DD-WRT but I'm using Tomato? I had read of other people with Tomato doing it fine though...

I am out of ideas and would welcome any suggestions.

--
My PC Gaming Blog
»www.gaffonline.com