spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

What do you think... Can a ZyWALL 2 Plus do 50 Mbps?

My Comcast service was just upped to 50 Mbps. I have a Z2+ installed, with only a handful of incoming and outgoing rules, no content management.

Haven't been able to hit 50 Mbps yet and don't know for sure where the bottleneck might be. It could easily be Comcast, but previously I had very little problem filling the pipe at 27 Mbps continuously for long periods. Now, it's inconsistent, peaking at about 44 Mbps in spikes, probably averaging about 35 Mbps.

TBH, it's not that big of a deal, and I'll probably even downgrade the Comcast service at some point to save a few bucks per month. I was just wondering if I'm hitting the throughput limits of the 2 Plus. I also have a ZyWALL 5 lying around that I can play with.

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO

1 edit

Ah... just logged into the Z2+ and can see that the CPU is at 99%. Disabling the firewall allows me to get 55 Mbps continuously at 96% CPU, so I think that answers my question.

Will try the ZyWALL 5 tomorrow.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

Please let us know your results with ZyWALL 5.

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO
reply to JJJohnson

I'm surprised... The ZyWALL 5 isn't much better. It's able to do about 39 Mbps at 100% CPU with the firewall enabled. With the firewall disabled it maxes the 55 Mbps connection at 95% CPU. Very little improvement over the ZyWALL 2 Plus.

Anyone know of a cheap firewall that can keep up with 55 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up? I'm not in a position to spend another $150 on a ZyWALL. Or, I may just downgrade the Comcast service and not be tempted to spend anything.

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
kudos:1

Do you need the UTM features? If not look at P2812, its my go to device at the moment. I just miss 802.11ac ...
--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."

Otto58

join:2001-02-26
Germany
reply to JJJohnson

Have a look at this:
»zyxel usg 20w high cpu use

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO

said by Otto58:

Have a look at this:
»zyxel usg 20w high cpu use

Why? I think I read elsewhere that the ZyWALL USG20 was only capable of about 58 Mbps, so even if I wanted to spend $150, I've crossed it off the list. Having to step up to the $250 ZyWALL 50 to achieve some headroom at these speeds isn't going happen. Looks like I've reached the end of line with ZyWALL. At least until they come out with a reasonably priced line capable of today's home connection speeds.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

USG100+
»ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ZyWALL_USG_50/data···50_6.pdf

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have a USG50, upgraded from a 2+ because of throughput issues. My cable speed went to 30/3 and that was a bit much for the 2+. On download sites that can max out my 30 down link my CPU is about 25% or so on the USG50. I tried the UTM features but the USG50 is a bit underpowered for those.

Even on the the big iron boxes I work on at Chrysler, you would be surprised how much turning on IPS slows the box down. We use small FortiGate units (80c) models for smaller sites and you cannot really use any UTM on those. Kind of a joke really. They sell them as UTM capable but in reality, they are too small for that. We only run IPS on the really large units.