spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrFreeze

@spcsdns.net

Big mistake

I work in the city and I repair cut fibers almost every week. NYC's underground infrastructure is in a terrible shape and backholes, trenches are dug all over the place. Althought Verizon should already know this unless its some type of new managment decision.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

said by MrFreeze :

I work in the city and I repair cut fibers almost every week. NYC's underground infrastructure is in a terrible shape and backholes, trenches are dug all over the place. Althought Verizon should already know this unless its some type of new managment decision.

I'm not that familiar with outdoor runs but damn, that doesn't look like a great idea. Did you see the video?

Road repairs? Sidewalk repairs? In one part it looked like it was run through a wooden deck. What happens when/if the road shifts (all the time here in New Orleans, not sure about NY).
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

Having a shallow trench is much better than what happens in the Washington D.C./NoVa/MD area; fiber is just thrown on the ground in the woods behind houses. It's ok though, coax is also just thrown around like that...

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to MrFreeze

The vendor came in to give us a class on this not too long ago. Its primary purpose is to bring fiber into buildings with old collapsed ducts or buried cable. This is to save money from the normal deep-trenched duct that would need to be installed in such situations. Besides the problem of it being only inches below the surface, the fiber they intend to pull through that duct is difficult to work with; the individual strands are smaller than normal and, even in bright light, it is hard to distinguish the colors or even handle it. I don't predict this will turn out well.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

My biggest thing was how they did it in the roadway. What happens when the mill that road to repave it.