TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

1 recommendation

TypeS to EdT

to EdT

Re: affordable router to handle 150/10?

said by EdT:

Only the wired LAN network is 10/100, the WiFi network is 300Mbps, I didn't care about the LAN connection speed as I am using it for it's WiFi prowess for my Android PCs and didn't want to fork out another $30 for their R20000G. You are not going to find a brand new 600mW N300 WiFi router with dual ultra low noise amplifiers and US based tech support for $69.99 no matter how hard you try ! Almost all of those sub $100 routers have only 50-120mW of power at most and 99.9% of them will never list their actual WiFi tx/rx power anywhere !

They have their older single band gigabit R10000G which has the gigabit WAN/LAN for $129 and their newest top of the line R20000G dual band gigbit WAN/LAN which normally sells for $179 for $99, another dumb price typo on Staples part ! ...LoL

You're missing the point though, at least with the R1000 you pointed out with only 10/100 LAN and 10/100 WAN, the cable modem will connect via that 10/100 WAN port, so it will cripple you to 66% of the speed you're getting on 150/10, so the wire speed really matters there.

I think some of the people pushing the top-end routers have also missed the point of the thread. The OP wasn't looking for the latest and greatest wireless performance but the minimum router that could enable him to use a 150/10 cable connection. Explaining the benefits of 802.11ac is moot, the OP said he wanted to avoid the $200 mark.
Doeboye
join:2006-11-07
Canada

Doeboye

From what I can see, the best deal right now for a router that can support 150mbps through the WAN port, and come in under $100, is still the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 on sale at NCIX (Today's the last day) that I linked to earlier. $70 is hard to beat, and the router gets pretty solid reviews...
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Small net Builder places that at 144 MBPS thruput is the main issue i have with it, So i spent the $89.99 for a WNDR 3700 from netgear got the v3 and installed my ddwrt and did a good old wifi Spectrum anaylsis my strength is damned good now that i have it looks like i killed some other networks trying to run on channel 1 p:)
Doeboye
Canada

Doeboye

said by morisato:

Small net Builder places that at 144 MBPS thruput is the main issue i have with it, So i spent the $89.99 for a WNDR 3700 from netgear got the v3 and installed my ddwrt and did a good old wifi Spectrum anaylsis my strength is damned good now that i have it looks like i killed some other networks trying to run on channel 1 p:)

Congrats on the WNDR3700. I've seen some good reviews on that guy .

That said, could you please link to where you found 144mbps WAN to LAN throughput for the TL-WDR4300? The only review I've seen that mentions WAN to LAN is the uk.Hardware.info one mentioned earlier in this thread by TypeS. In that review, the 4300 is rated at 925 mbps...

»uk.hardware.info/reviews ··· ts-wired
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Rofl i misread its the 1043 i was reading about, My bad sorry there didn;t notice tplink brought out a new set of routers. dd-wrt capable?
Doeboye
Canada

Doeboye

said by morisato:

Rofl i misread its the 1043 i was reading about, My bad sorry there didn;t notice tplink brought out a new set of routers. dd-wrt capable?

Doh!

re DDWRT: Some review sites claim it does support (eg:»www.legitreviews.com/art ··· /1983/5/), but it does not come up in the official DD-WRT Support Database...

»www.dd-wrt.com/site/supp ··· database

Perhaps someone who has this router could comment?...
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

ya i am reading the offical threads on dd-wrt forums wdr4300 Has not yet got offical support because its in Early testing stages builds are not yet ready for public consumption etc.. reading alot of issues for people with it.

EdT
join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT to TypeS

to TypeS
After re- reading the ops original thread. It seems he has or wants a 150/10 internet connection and cheap router to go with it. Geeezz, if he can afford a 150/10 internet connection he shouldn't be fussing around with a cheap router ! ..LoL
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Well 85/month is easy enough to budget in if you;ve cut the cord but a 200+ dollar router purchase can be painful P:) ontop of a cable modem and Install fees etc.
mario9999998
join:2000-08-25
Canada

2 edits

mario9999998 to Doeboye

to Doeboye
I have a TP-Link WDR4300 and it works fine. I'm using the latest version of the factory firmware. I use it solely for 5GHz wireless connectivity (I use other gigabit switches for switching, an ASUS RT-N16 for 2.4GHz, and a m0n0wall box for routing).

OpenWRT is also supported... performance wise for routing 150/10 it's more than fast enough:
»wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp- ··· nkr35995
»forum.openwrt.org/viewto ··· #p187010
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

2 edits

technocar2 to morisato

to morisato
said by morisato:

Well 85/month is easy enough to budget in if you;ve cut the cord but a 200+ dollar router purchase can be painful P:) ontop of a cable modem and Install fees etc.

If you are going with the 150/10 then there is no point in cheaping out on the router because the WNDR3700 is no good if you want to run QoS, run QoS and the max speed you'll get is 80mbps; run OpenVPN and max you'll get is 10mbps. Its your call...but if you are going for 150/10 you'd better build a pfsense machine with enough horse power.

Edit:
Here is what I'm talking about. I've got two OpenVPN connections, one for my torrent server and one for all other traffic. With my torrent server completely saturating my uplink I can still do a speed test and get full speed out my second VPN (private internet access); this is QoS in action at deprioritizing my torrent server. There is no consumer grade router than can handle two OpenVPN connections simultaneously and still have the following speeds. Mind you that all the encrypting and decrypting for both VPNs are being done by my pfsense machine yet it can still handle QoS without giving me an attitude. (All this is on Rogers 150/10 with SB6141)

EdT
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT to morisato

to morisato
I just finished chatting with some friends oversea about their internet connections. I think I flipped on what they are paying and getting.

Hong-Kong and China = 100Mbps/100Mbps cable internet $23cad !!!

Gave him the link to SpeedGuide.net thinking he was mistaken, dam was I ever mistaken, they thought that was the norm and pretty slow ! ...LoL
Doeboye
Canada

Doeboye

said by EdT:

I just finished chatting with some friends oversea about their internet connections. I think I flipped on what they are paying and getting.

Hong-Kong and China = 100Mbps/100Mbps cable internet $23cad !!!

Gave him the link to SpeedGuide.net thinking he was mistaken, dam was I ever mistaken ! ...LoL

Did you ask them what kind of router they were using?

EdT
Saint-Laurent, QC

1 edit

EdT

I did, he didn't know, he wasn't the techie type, but he said it was a cable modem and not DSL. I will ask him again the next time he is online.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6799.png

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
said by morisato:

+1 LOL
I still use my original WNDR3700v1, but am considering a new AC unit for my next buy.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to technocar2

to technocar2
said by technocar2:

With my torrent server completely saturating my uplink I can still do a speed test and get full speed out my second VPN (private internet access); this is QoS in action at deprioritizing my torrent server.

Speed tests for PIA are more than a bit misleading: PIA uses compression on the VPN pipe, and the speedtest.net test data compresses rather nicely, resulting in somewhat unrealistic reported numbers. It's quite possible that the second VPN was only getting half the bandwidth there.
technocar2
Brampton, ON

1 edit

technocar2

said by mlord:

Speed tests for PIA are more than a bit misleading: PIA uses compression on the VPN pipe, and the speedtest.net test data compresses rather nicely, resulting in somewhat unrealistic reported numbers. It's quite possible that the second VPN was only getting half the bandwidth there.

I know what you are talking about; basically you are saying I only downloading half the "data" but its compressed; and once its uncompressed it doubles in size thus showing inflated speeds.

I have heard that argument a million times on these forum, and I'm not buying it because the pfsense WAN graph shows the real speed and it shows ~150mbps on the WAN interface graphs when my VPN connection is saturated on downlink so if it was compressed as much as you say it is then it would show that much less on the WAN interface graph and much higher on the VPN interface graphs. But the graphs are similar regardless of what you think (~150mbps on WAN interface graph and ~140mbps on the VPN interface graph). Until these numbers start being wacky; I'm not going to believe your argument.

Mate if what you say were the case then the WAN interface should show 70mbps and VPN interfaces should show 140mbps but that is not the case.
technocar2

technocar2 to EdT

to EdT
said by EdT:

I did, he didn't know, he wasn't the techie type, but he said it was a cable modem and not DSL. I will ask him again the next time he is online.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6799.png

Correct me if I'm wrong but that speed test's ping is too low and upload is too high, that can only mean its FTTH.
He probably thinks its docsis but he actually has FTTH otherwise his upload won't be that high.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

I am pretty sure it can handle qos and 150/10 i am running ddwrt on it and it seems to be okay so far, also i don;t torrent, so i don;t need it to handle thousands of micro connections like you might. and i had a pfsense box no thanks, if i go that route though i would pick up a raspberry pi.
s0dhi
join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON

1 edit

s0dhi

said by morisato:

I am pretty sure it can handle qos and 150/10 i am running ddwrt on it and it seems to be okay so far, also i don;t torrent, so i don;t need it to handle thousands of micro connections like you might. and i had a pfsense box no thanks, if i go that route though i would pick up a raspberry pi.

Raspberry PI only has a single NIC and IIRC, the NIC is 10/100.

I don't quite understand the statement "i had a pfsense box no thanks". What did you not like about it?

EDIT: Also the RaspberryPi NIC performance is severely limited by being connected to the USB bus.
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to morisato

to morisato
said by morisato:

The way dd-wrt works is if you even just turn on QoS it will dip your speed to whatever your CPU can support regardless of how many connections you have or how many policies you have, max I got was ~100mbps with QoS with just one computer and zero policy but the average was about 80mbps with 4 computers and 10 policies, if you don't believe me then don't. You can try it for yourself and then I'll say I told you so.
technocar2

1 recommendation

technocar2 to s0dhi

to s0dhi
said by s0dhi:

I don't quite understand the statement "i had a pfsense box no thanks". What did you not like about it?

I think the complicatedness and the learning curve turns people away from pfsense. But once you get past it you start seeing the beauty that pfsense is. Its not for everyone I suppose.
s0dhi
join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

said by technocar2:

said by s0dhi:

I think the complicatedness and the learning curve turns people away from pfsense. But once you get past it you start seeing the beauty that pfsense is. Its not for everyone I suppose.

You do have a point there. I can't remember the early days of my cut-over from Tomato/DD-WRT to pfsense, but having stuck with it, I'm content (especially with the VPN and DNS poisoning).