sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

New Thunderbolt dock includes optical drive

The optical drive, an option, can be configured with either Blu-ray or a DVD writer.

Other features include front and back USB 3.0 ports, a drive bay for 2.5" or 3.5" HDD/SSDs, FW800, front and back audio IO ports, 2 eSATA ports, Gigabit ethernet, and of course Thunderbolts (as in more than one).

Not cheap by any stretch, but then I can't imagine how pricey it'd be if offered by Cupertino.

Read more about it from Topher Kessler's MacFixit column: »reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57···MacFixIt

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

$400?

It's not for consumers.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Rofl, more thunderbolt stupidity pricing... My god...

And wtf, the thing is HUGE!
--

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to sfogliatelle

with Intel releasing Falcon Ridge next year for TB, i am not sure I'd want to invest a huge amount of money right now in TB.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to sfogliatelle

Rather ugly. If I had a sleek new iMac I'd probably hide that somewhere under the desk.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to sfogliatelle

It may just be my age showing, but that's not exactly what I imagine when someone says "dock".

That said, I'd have put one Thunderbolt port on the front or side. Mainly to prevent the need to either reach around to the back or leave a cable routed around to the front at all times in order to plug in.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by stonhinge:

It may just be my age showing, but that's not exactly what I imagine when someone says "dock".

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

said by not quite right:

said by stonhinge:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it ...

Me, too.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to HiVolt

Well it does have room for a 3.5" internal HDD, an optical drive and a ton of connectors all over it. Seems like a legit desktop dock for a MacBook user.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Count Zero:

Well it does have room for a 3.5" internal HDD, an optical drive and a ton of connectors all over it. Seems like a legit desktop dock for a MacBook user.

Maybe if it came with a 2TB or 3TB drive it would be a good deal...

It's clearly priced with the Mac tax applied...
--

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

I do agree the price is too high but the unit's size isn't that unreasonable.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to HiVolt

Also "cutting edge" tax as well. They had to develop this monster and that doesn't come for free.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by rugby:

Also "cutting edge" tax as well. They had to develop this monster and that doesn't come for free.

Sorry, I don't buy this "cutting edge" stuff 2+ years after it came out in consumer machines.
--

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

said by HiVolt:

said by rugby:

Sorry, I don't buy this "cutting edge" stuff 2+ years after it came out in consumer machines.

Ok, you can "not buy it" but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Does anybody else make a dock like this? Do you know for sure there are no development costs in producing a brand new product like this?

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your premise that there's no "Apple tax", I'm also stating that the first to market is ALWAYS more expensive as they paid to blaze the trail.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

When one takes into consideration the fact that many current Macs have been stripped of a number of options (like optical disc drives) and ports (direct ethernet on an Air), for those who still choose to make use of that hardware the Sonnet would at least eliminate a tangle of external devices and wiring. Say what you will about your perception of its physical footprint but consider what stacking drive enclosures would look like by comparison.

Most of the reviews of competing products complain of not enough TBolt ports (meaning, there's only one). Add the fact that even the most streamlined and svelte of these would still require additional piggybacking of even more cables.

Personally, as one who isn't ready to fully embrace a main device less an optical drive, with my mid-2010 MBP the Sonnet isn't a buying option. If however I owned an Air or retina laptop, the Sonnet's options would certainly hit a lot of my hot buttons.