Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

How many Cd-r's or DVD's have you burned so far?

In my current job alone over the past 5 years I have burned no less than 6000 cd-r's (Software duplication and distribution is one of my jobs.) Outside of this job I have burned maybe another 500 for various reasons though having a thumb drive has cut this down a lot lately.

So how many have you burned?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Maybe another question might be when was the last time you burned a CD/DVD? I have stacks and stacks of blank media but since flash drives have become so cheap everything goes on them. It's probably been over a year since I burned anything.
--
FINAL FOUR, BABY!!!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Aranarth

Probably lees than 150...

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Aranarth

In the last year? One.

I have a RW that I'll throw a movie or video on that I want to take downstairs and throw on the TV so my wife and I can watch together.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Aranarth

I couldn't say how much, but I do burn now and again. I had a 10-disc CD changer until I got another vehicle which has a 6-disc CD changer included. Whenever I get in the mood, I burn a music CD. Unfortunately, my current cd changer does not play mp3 .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Aranarth

Well the duplicator spat out 40 cd-r's yesterday and 10 more today.

Luckily we have moved to downloads as our primary means of distribution but there are still people who still even conceive of how downloading software works and demand a cd. Even if you explain it to them they sound confused...

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Aranarth

Fairly frequently still, I have machines that I can't get to boot off of a live Linux USB key, so those have to get booted on disk, especially if I can't update the bios allow USB booting.

EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Fat City
Premium
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia
reply to Aranarth

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Aranarth

said by Aranarth:

In my current job alone over the past 5 years I have burned no less than 6000 cd-r's (Software duplication and distribution is one of my jobs.) Outside of this job I have burned maybe another 500 for various reasons though having a thumb drive has cut this down a lot lately.

So how many have you burned?

About a dozen in the past year, mostly firmware updates and various software distributions that come as ISO's.

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

1 edit
reply to Aranarth

Since my first burner in 1998, easily over a couple thousand, mostly work related.

Lately, very few. I used to archive my system backups (in spanned format) to optical media but abandoned that in 2006.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to Aranarth

I got my first burner (an HP internal) in 98 or 99. Since then I have burned at least a few thousand CD's/DVD's.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

I couldn't say how much, but I do burn now and again. I had a 10-disc CD changer until I got another vehicle which has a 6-disc CD changer included. Whenever I get in the mood, I burn a music CD. Unfortunately, my current cd changer does not play mp3 .

New BMW's have a USB port for music-in.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12

Aranarth has me beat. According to our records we've sold about 3750 since I've been on the staff. I probably only personally burned about 2/3 or 3/4 of those. I changed departments a year and a half ago and someone else took over my old job.

longgone

join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Many American vehicles have that USB feature like my 2008 Ford Fusion.

I've burned several thousands since late 90s, but thanks to flash drives and much larger capacity storage Drives, ISO mounting, cloud computing and streaming media, then over recent years came some major reorganizing by moving, cleansing and disposal has resulted in having less than 100.

Maybe did 10 burns in 2012 and this year 1 Linux Live Distro DVD and 1 BD-R.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to Aranarth

Man! I would love to have your job. If you do not mind, how much are you getting paid per month?

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to Aranarth

Many hundreds until I had 9 years on the internet. My first burner, a HP 2X, cost me $360 and if you could find them, disks were $2.50 after rebate.

The burner died after 5 years.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ
reply to Aranarth

Probably close to 2000. I still burn DVDs, usually copying movies from Netflix.

This will hopefully end this year. I plan on building a NAS with 12TB+ of storage. Then I will be able to put all my media on hard disk.
--
What smells like blue?

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
reply to Aranarth

I don't keep track of such things. Not very many, I guess I could count the ones I have in my CD cases. I just tossed (made reflectors) a hand full of them.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

said by jadinolf:

Many hundreds until I had 9 years on the internet. My first burner, a HP 2X, cost me $360 and if you could find them, disks were $2.50 after rebate.

The burner died after 5 years.

I still have my $900 SCSI-based Creative DVD-Ram drive. 5.2GB @ 1x!

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Aranarth

I first started burning CD's while working on a project in the mid-90's that required a "gold build" be used to setup PC's at all the customers global locations. Once the build was certified I would burn copies on an external, SCSI CD burner that cost a small fortune and blazed along at 1x speed. The blank disks cost $7 EACH in 1994.

Oh yeah, in those days it was quite common for something to hiccup during the burn process, causing it to abort and thus creating a $7 coaster.

In total though, I would guess that I've only burned a total of perhaps 500 or so CD's and DVD's since then.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

As well as most after-market music systems, I'm not planning on getting rid of my care anytime soon, because I love it still, so I'm just going to get a good 3rd party sound system.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have