TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

Disney Shuts Down LucasArt

»kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-luc···68473749

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts, Cancels Star Wars 1313 And Star Wars: First Assault
Disney has laid off the staff of LucasArts and cancelled all current projects.

Staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects--Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313--were cancelled. Disney will still use the LucasArts name to license games. Hypothetically, the company could license First Assault or 1313 to a different developer, but those would be different games entirely.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”

This comes after weeks and months of rumors involving the studio, which was acquired by Disney last fall. In September, LucasArts put a freeze on all hiring and product announcements, which many staff saw as the beginning of the end. Today, it's official: the longrunning studio is no more.

The company was acquired as part of a mega-merger last year where Disney acquired LucasFilm and its sibling company from Lucas. Maniac Mansion, one of LucasArts' first self-published titles, introduced the "SCUMM" game engine driving several well known point-and-click adventure titles the company published into the 1990s. The Secret of Monkey Island, created by Ron Gilbert and co-written by Tim Schafer (both now at Double Fine), is one of the publisher's best-known graphical adventures using the engine.

The publisher's apogee was certainly in the 1990s, when a wave ofStar Wars-themed titles for the PC—such as Dark Forces, X-Wingand Rebel Assault—were supplemented by games like the strategy titleAfterlife, the Sam & Max series, and Schafer's Full Throttle.

In the 2000s, the company became more reliant on its Star Warsproducts and licenses sold to other developers as new efforts likeFracture failed to take hold. The decade's most notable successes—Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Battlefrontwere both externally developed, by BioWare and Pandemic Studios, respectively. LucasArts' last title to see mainstream success was 2008'sStar Wars: The Force Unleashed. A 2010 sequel didn't live up to expectations. The last game published by LucasArts was Kinect Star Wars for the Xbox 360 last year, a game widely panned by critics.

GCoop

join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA
So what does this mean to my dreams of someday playing a refresh of the X-Wing / Tie Fighter PC games......

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

1 recommendation

said by GCoop:

So what does this mean to my dreams of someday playing a refresh of the X-Wing / Tie Fighter PC games......

Your dream is probably fucked.

GCoop

join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
said by TigerLord:

said by GCoop:

Agreed.

But I will still hold out hope for Disney to license the IP out to some developer that is hopefully NOT EA.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to TigerLord
On one hand, I can't blame them and I'm not surprised. LucasArts hasn't made anything worthwhile in a long while... on the other hand, it's a lame way to go about... the people working there definitely had the talent to do good games, they were just burdened with bad decision making by the execs.

They should've just tried a new formula... but then again, not like most of Disney's current games are anything special either (AFAIK... I'm not keeping track of the billions of things they've acquired of late), so my hope of playing a new awesome X-Wing or Tie-Fighter are pretty much dead now.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
said by ekster:

On one hand, I can't blame them and I'm not surprised. LucasArts hasn't made anything worthwhile in a long while... on the other hand, it's a lame way to go about... the people working there definitely had the talent to do good games, they were just burdened with bad decision making by the execs.

They should've just tried a new formula... but then again, not like most of Disney's current games are anything special either (AFAIK... I'm not keeping track of the billions of things they've acquired of late), so my hope of playing a new awesome X-Wing or Tie-Fighter are pretty much dead now.

Expecting risks from Disney is like expecting EA to mend its way. Not gonna happen.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Yeah... I'm guessing there will be a couple of rated G platformers that no one will remember about 5 seconds after learning of their existence, and a couple of big on-rails FPS titles that no one will remember after finishing once. :\

Energystream
Premium
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord
There is a lot of irony in Disney crushing your dreams.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to GCoop
said by GCoop:

said by TigerLord:

said by GCoop:

Agreed.

But I will still hold out hope for Disney to license the IP out to some developer that is hopefully NOT EA.

I think it depends on how much money Disney is offered for a license to reboot those games.
There'd have to be enough people/fans to make it worth the development costs to do such a game.

I'd pay for a modern copy of X-wing and Tie Fighter. Both were fun.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to TigerLord
I sense a disturbance in the force! As if a trillion lights in young peoples eyes were all snuffed out at once.

RIP Lucas Arts, thanks for the fun.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to Snakeoil
You can still buy the games and there are patches at fansites. Some of the games have the official patches for windows applied that were from Lucas Arts.
X-Wing Alliance is the newest installment for X-Wing and Tie Fighter games.

»www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&···0fighter
--
Let them eat FIBER!

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
said by gaforces:

You can still buy the games and there are patches at fansites. Some of the games have the official patches for windows applied that were from Lucas Arts.
X-Wing Alliance is the newest installment for X-Wing and Tie Fighter games.

»www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&···0fighter

I found my X wing vs Tie fighter disk. I just need to do a Dosbox type of thing.
But I haven't had that much of an itch as of yet.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
Same here. Now I just need to find a floppy drive

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

Mine are on CDs.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TigerLord
This is like a really bad April Fool's joke.

I was really looking forward to Star Wars 1313.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to TigerLord
There goes any hope of a real Kotor 3

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to TigerLord
Maybe licensing is for the best if it gets some fresh blood working on Star Wars games.

I mean whoever was running that place were clearly idiots, how can you fail so hard at Star Wars video games? A boatload of IP in your pocket, a long history of successful titles across a bunch of different genres. How long have people wanted a modern version of the classic Xwing and TIE fighter? They don't even need to write new story or missions FFS. I guess the beginning of the end was their massive fail at an MMO. I don't like those anyways, it was a dumb idea for a star wars game that seemed like it was pushed by a greedy bean counter jealous of WoW money.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Agreed. I hope studios more capable of executing a AAA game will take on 1313 and X-Wing/Tie Fighter. Bioware/CD Projekt Red/Obsidian/Arkane are obvious contenders for 1313, and perhaps RSI will take a look at X-Wing/Tie Fighter as a mod for Star Citizen, or perhaps a standalone game using the SC engine?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ratman_84

join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA
reply to TigerLord
Loom will always hold a special place in my heart.

The Dig too.

Not to mention Grim Fandango.

fatpipe

join:2011-10-02
Austin, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

This is like a really bad April Fool's joke.

I was really looking forward to Star Wars 1313.

Yeah, I was too. I realize these things happen when ownership changes, but 1313 seemed to have alot going for it.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
I don't don't know were if on a forum or on FB someone said or reasons for the shuttering that possibly 1313 was too mature. I quiped "what, you haven't seen ABC nightly lineup of shows!?"

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Have they never heard of M-rated games?