spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dsl33
join:2012-02-02

dsl33

Kia & Hyundai cars recall

»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· all.html

something about the brake lights. Quality going downhill?

KIA=Keep It Away.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Quality going downhill? Compared to what, exactly? At least they're doing this before there's an incident, versus covering it up and instead only doing it after cars running wild down down the highway killing people *coughToyotacough*

My Elantra is not affected.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

There is a relatively small number of Elantras being recalled for an airbag problem. The big recall that involves many Hyundais and Kias is over a brake light switch. All of them used the same switch. "Quality going downhill"? Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about either.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

it doesn't look like either of our vehicles are affected either...recalls don't bother me (especially voluntary ones)...it is simply a company's way of fixing for free what is defective...as Gone mentioned, it's better than the company's that deny any issue and make you pay for them...i'd much rather have a company say "Our part appears to be defective, please bring in your vehicle and we will replace the part at no charge" rather than "Yea, you have a bad sensor, $250 please".

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to dsl33

Premium Member

to dsl33
Strange thing, a brake switch...

What I'd like to know, is how do they determine which models are REALLY affected, as the range is very large across multiple vehicles...

Surely the brake switch supplier is the same for all those vehicles, and I guess they keep production samples for a long time to compare or do testing with?

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

it is quite possible they found a manufacturing defect in the switch...the supplier then went back to determine the switches that were built during that period, which coincides with specific vehicles made using them...while it is quite probable there are likely many switches which work just fine, it is likely much better (safer, cheaper, etc) to replace all affected switches rather than face the legal issues if they bury known problems, or the cost of bad PR if they did nothing...i mean, it's been how many decades since the Ford Pinto?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Oh, definitely... Just curious about the process... A brake switch is a relatively cheap and quick swap, so it's a win-win for Hyundai to replace it...

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i mean, it's been how many decades since the Ford Pinto?

If your Hyundai's brake lights fail to light up because of the broken switch, will the car explode into a raging fireball when it gets tapped by the car behind you?

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

A defective switch could also prevent cruise control from disengaging, which could have more interesting consequences than just the brake lights failing to light up!

It is, in any case, just a switch. Easy to replace.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

A defective switch could also prevent cruise control from disengaging, which could have more interesting consequences than just the brake lights failing to light up!

It is, in any case, just a switch. Easy to replace.

True, but there may be another backup there from the ABS controller which no doubt can sense pressure and return a signal.

Speaking of cruise control, a friend of mine had it go haywire in a maxima... the servo went nuts and locked up full in full acceleration. Lucky he was on the highway with nobody around, and was able to flip it to neutral and pull over... Oddly enough the car was out of warranty but the dealer replaced the parts at no cost...

I wonder if it was some sort of silent recall.

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

*coughToyotacough*

Umm, when the dust settled, any major story that came out ultimately put the blame on the drivers, not Toyota.

»www.caranddriver.com/fea ··· -feature
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to dsl33

to dsl33
said by dsl33:

»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· all.html

something about the brake lights. Quality going downhill?

KIA=Keep It Away.

shouldn't buy a honda or toyota or even a ford either right? cause if you get a ford high chance the engine might catch on fire.

there is your quality lol
LastDon

LastDon to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Strange thing, a brake switch...

What I'd like to know, is how do they determine which models are REALLY affected, as the range is very large across multiple vehicles...

Surely the brake switch supplier is the same for all those vehicles, and I guess they keep production samples for a long time to compare or do testing with?

that is something i'd like to know as well.

like how do they know which models used what etc.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by LastDon:

Never looked at a shop service manual, eh?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Robert4

Premium Member

to Robert4
said by Robert4:

said by Gone:

*coughToyotacough*

Umm, when the dust settled, any major story that came out ultimately put the blame on the drivers, not Toyota.

Those of you old enough to have been shaving for more than 25 years might remember the same hysteria going on with the Audi 5000.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su ··· leration
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by LastDon:

Never looked at a shop service manual, eh?

I meant to say how do they know which vehicles used that same part etc.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Date ranges and serial numbers.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

Possibly a clever way to talk your way out of a speeding ticket! "Sorry, officer! My Hyundai's defective brake switch kept the cruise control engaged!"

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Had that happen on an 86 Tbird with a hopped up 306. The taillight fuse blew and had the cruise set at 70. Came flying up behind a car so hit the brakes. Cruise control drops the throttle----fun stuff.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Same car, three model years newer, and the throttle sensor failed at a high setting point somewhere along HWY 11 on the way to North Bay after passing a car. Zoom zoom zoom!

A few years later the head gasket failed, killing the car prematurely.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Quality going downhill? Compared to what, exactly? At least they're doing this before there's an incident, versus covering it up and instead only doing it after cars running wild down down the highway killing people *coughToyotacough*

Exactly. Recalls are a good thing... It's called being proactive...
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by vue666:

said by Gone:

Exactly. Recalls are a good thing... It's called being proactive...

better than GM... my wifes car a daewoo built chevy is on its third recall for the same problem in 2 years!

myself my pontiac sunfire had a recall on the ignition switch (fire) instead of changing the switch they added a timed relay cutoff under the hood or my grand prix recall that had an issue with the engine catching fire...
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to Robert4

to Robert4
said by Robert4:

said by Gone:

*coughToyotacough*

Perhaps so but Toyota's legal settlements continue... If they are not at fault then why are they so quick to settle?

»news.yahoo.com/toyota-se ··· nce.html

»dolanlegal.com/blog/2013 ··· adaches/

»www.toyotaelsettlement.com/

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by vue666:

said by Robert4:

said by Gone:

*coughToyotacough*

Perhaps so but Toyota's legal settlements continue... If they are not at fault then why are they so quick to settle?

Their legal team likely determined it's cheaper to settle than go to trial.
arisk
join:2001-08-08
London, ON

arisk to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

said by Wolfie00:

Possibly a clever way to talk your way out of a speeding ticket! "Sorry, officer! My Hyundai's defective brake switch kept the cruise control engaged!"

There is still the master switch on the steering wheel.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to dsl33

to dsl33
My car is likely affected but I have no brake light problems. Going to call the stealer and see what they say.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to corster

to corster
said by corster:

Their legal team likely determined it's cheaper to settle than go to trial.

Perhaps and perhaps not....
quote:
"It would seem that Toyota did not want a public airing of the evidence that has been gathered in the lawsuits, so that it can continue to say that there is not a problem," Spagnoli said. "If Toyota felt it could have successfully defended its products in these cases, it would have welcomed a public trial."

»www.usatoday.com/story/m ··· 1851813/