share rss forum feed

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1

EVGA Announces GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition Graphics Card

»www.macrumors.com/2013/04/03/evg···mac-pro/

1. NVIDIA GPU Boost Technology - Dynamically maximises clock speeds to push performance to new levels and bring out the best in every game.
2. Support for four concurrent displays; two dual-link DVI connectors, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.1
3. NVIDIA SMX Engine - Brand new processing engine which delivers twice the performance/watt compared to previous generations.
4. NVIDIA CUDA Technology - Unlocks the power of the GPU's processor cores to accelerate the most demanding tasks such as video transcoding, physics simulation, ray tracing and more.
5. OpenGL 3.2 (4.3 in Windows) Support - Support for the most widely-used open graphics standard in the world.
6. OpenCL Support - Supports the latest standards in GPGPU computing.
7. Boot Camp Support - Full support for Microsoft Windows operating system in Apple Boot Camp.

$600 on NewEgg
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130912

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130768

$460

What is so special besides "for mac"

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Good question.

Also why cant the normal one be operated on a Mac? If Nvidia makes a .dmg with Mac drivers it should not make a difference should it?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to mromero

how is this one different from the one in my new iMac?

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

It's about 10 times thicker than your entire iMac.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

Your iMac uses a mobile graphic chipset, which is no doubt a lot slower than the desktop counterpart.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

It's about 10 times thicker than your entire iMac.

i see it now (i didn't look at the pics)...looks like the GTX 260 Superclocked i have in my old PC...not only is it massive (it JUST barely fit in my tower), i had to buy a new PS to power it...when i play some intense games, it also doubles as a small furnace and vents out a TON of heat.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by dirtyjeffer:

Your iMac uses a mobile graphic chipset, which is no doubt a lot slower than the desktop counterpart.

yea, mine is the GTX 680MX...still seems to work well though.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

I would guess the actual chip is similar, but is clocked slower and is power-managed more aggressively... There just isn't any room in that iMac to have an effective heatsink like on a dual slot desktop board.

Maybe if they weren't obsessed with thinness at the edges, lol...
--

metrodust
Hey Thats Mine

join:1999-12-10
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike

bios support. specifically uefi

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to mromero

I'm still kinda digging Sapphire's Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

$460

The same thing that is special in for Mac ram.... nothing.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Metatron2008:

said by Mike:

$460

The same thing that is special in for Mac ram.... nothing.

Well they do come with 2 "mini display ports" cutting down the need for adapters, and as someone already mentioned bios support. specifically uefi
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

newegg.com, search for video cards with mini display ports. It's become fairly common, even on pc cards...

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Metatron2008:

newegg.com, search for video cards with mini display ports. It's become fairly common, even on pc cards...

said by Metatron2008:

Did you happen to notice that it was common on AMD cards, and not Nvidia cards which is what we were discussing?
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

the mac edition 680 doesn't have a single mini display port...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

According to the specs it includes a DP to mini DP adapter dongle.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

I had one that included that, and it didn't cost me $120 extra just because it is 'for a mac'...

dave49er

join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA
reply to mromero

I have this card in my Early 2008 (3,1) Mac Pro:
MSI N660Ti GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB

Most NVIDIA cards will now work out of the box with native Apple drivers. Soon after an update, NVIDIA releases web drivers that are even better. The only difference is that they don't have EFI so you don't get the boot screen. I'm running on the stock 10.8.3 drivers, as NVIDIA hasn't released the new web download drivers yet.

A long thread with more info is here:
MacRumors

Many ATI cards will also work, but for some reason they cause DVD Player to crash and Valve games on Steam won't work, although almost all of the indie games that I've bought in Humble Bundles do work. Also, like the NVIDIA cards, no boot screen.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Metatron2008

Did it have EFI compatible ROM? That is usually the difference. You often can't run PC cards in Macs because they only support BIOS. Of course you can reflash them but that is the user's prerogative.

People pay for stability, if they want to junk something together, they can do it much cheaper with a Pee Cee or hackintosh.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to dave49er

said by dave49er:

I have this card in my Early 2008 (3,1) Mac Pro:
MSI N660Ti GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB

Most NVIDIA cards will now work out of the box with native Apple drivers. Soon after an update, NVIDIA releases web drivers that are even better. The only difference is that they don't have EFI so you don't get the boot screen. I'm running on the stock 10.8.3 drivers, as NVIDIA hasn't released the new web download drivers yet.

A long thread with more info is here:
MacRumors

Many ATI cards will also work, but for some reason they cause DVD Player to crash and Valve games on Steam won't work, although almost all of the indie games that I've bought in Humble Bundles do work. Also, like the NVIDIA cards, no boot screen.

Do those NVIDIA cards boot properly and show you the intro screens so you can do things like switch to the windows partition if needed? Most of these alternative non approved graphic cards all miss the proper boot abilities which make them kind of useless.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Did it have EFI compatible ROM? That is usually the difference. You often can't run PC cards in Macs because they only support BIOS. Of course you can reflash them but that is the user's prerogative.

People pay for stability, if they want to junk something together, they can do it much cheaper with a Pee Cee or hackintosh.

I would imagine that spending 10 minutes finding and reflashing the video card would be worth $120 of my time.

Lemme guess, you never open the hood of your car?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

I'm over working on my cars and I'm over rigging stuff up just to save a couple of bucks. I flashed a PC HD4870 I had for use in my MP meanwhile not all of the card worked, particularly the 2nd DVI port (since the Mac edition was DVI .and mDP) And it isn't a 10 minute job. I had to part together a PC to flash the card since there were no Mac utils for doing it.

I'd rather pay a bit more and do it right the first time as I have zero interest in wrenching. That crap was cool when I was 12, but now it is boring. I don't play with GI Joes anymore either.

Meanwhile it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another Mac Pro.

dave49er

join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA
reply to RiseAbove

said by RiseAbove:

Do those NVIDIA cards boot properly and show you the intro screens so you can do things like switch to the windows partition if needed? Most of these alternative non approved graphic cards all miss the proper boot abilities which make them kind of useless.

It depends on what you mean by "boot properly." It comes up to the desktop, which means no EFI boot screen. I can live with that. It's not useless by any means, and that capability is not worth an extra $300 to me. If need be, I can put in my HD2600. If I want Windows, I can switch it the standard way, which is by setting the Start Up Disk, or I use BootChamp (Google it) to boot into Windows. My Mac Pro prefers to spend the majority of its time in OS X, though.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

What about pre boot functions like Internet recovery or OPT for boot (partition) selection? Do those work? With my old flashed card none of it worked. You didn't get anything until you were in OS X.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I'm over working on my cars and I'm over rigging stuff up just to save a couple of bucks. I flashed a PC HD4870 I had for use in my MP meanwhile not all of the card worked, particularly the 2nd DVI port (since the Mac edition was DVI .and mDP) And it isn't a 10 minute job. I had to part together a PC to flash the card since there were no Mac utils for doing it.

I'd rather pay a bit more and do it right the first time as I have zero interest in wrenching. That crap was cool when I was 12, but now it is boring. I don't play with GI Joes anymore either.

Meanwhile it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another Mac Pro.

Plenty of guys can tinker with things and get it right the first time......

And as amusing as you stating that being over wrenching is apparently the same as being over gi joes, the ability to take care of one self is far more of a grown up thing then not being able to.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I can go beat clothes on a rock to get them clean...if I had to just as I could probably still build a wicked GI Joe base using spoons, dirt and a few hours. That doesn't mean I find either fun or interesting. If I had more time than money, sure, I would have no choice. But I have a choice and I choose not to gack stuff together just to save a couple of bucks, especially when it is going into a $3000 box. And yeah, wrenching, O/Cing, running TECs was cool when I was younger but it is boring at crap now. Now I have work to do and prefer to spend time working WITH my machines and zero interest working ON my machines.

Since you bring up cars am I going to buy some cheaper wheels that have the wrong offset and then monkey with spacers or having them milled to make them fit like wheels with the correct offset would? No. I am going to do it the right way even if it is a bit more money.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

My brother is an optometrist and a manager for several eye stores, owns a Corvette, and yet has enough time to tinker with things (Even on the corvette). But he isn't lazy.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I have better things to do with my time.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I would guess the actual chip is similar, but is clocked slower and is power-managed more aggressively... There just isn't any room in that iMac to have an effective heatsink like on a dual slot desktop board.

Maybe if they weren't obsessed with thinness at the edges, lol...

but it is so pretty.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell