RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to dave49er

Re: EVGA Announces GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition Graphics Card

said by dave49er:

I have this card in my Early 2008 (3,1) Mac Pro:
MSI N660Ti GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB

Most NVIDIA cards will now work out of the box with native Apple drivers. Soon after an update, NVIDIA releases web drivers that are even better. The only difference is that they don't have EFI so you don't get the boot screen. I'm running on the stock 10.8.3 drivers, as NVIDIA hasn't released the new web download drivers yet.

A long thread with more info is here:
MacRumors

Many ATI cards will also work, but for some reason they cause DVD Player to crash and Valve games on Steam won't work, although almost all of the indie games that I've bought in Humble Bundles do work. Also, like the NVIDIA cards, no boot screen.

Do those NVIDIA cards boot properly and show you the intro screens so you can do things like switch to the windows partition if needed? Most of these alternative non approved graphic cards all miss the proper boot abilities which make them kind of useless.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Did it have EFI compatible ROM? That is usually the difference. You often can't run PC cards in Macs because they only support BIOS. Of course you can reflash them but that is the user's prerogative.

People pay for stability, if they want to junk something together, they can do it much cheaper with a Pee Cee or hackintosh.

I would imagine that spending 10 minutes finding and reflashing the video card would be worth $120 of my time.

Lemme guess, you never open the hood of your car?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

I'm over working on my cars and I'm over rigging stuff up just to save a couple of bucks. I flashed a PC HD4870 I had for use in my MP meanwhile not all of the card worked, particularly the 2nd DVI port (since the Mac edition was DVI .and mDP) And it isn't a 10 minute job. I had to part together a PC to flash the card since there were no Mac utils for doing it.

I'd rather pay a bit more and do it right the first time as I have zero interest in wrenching. That crap was cool when I was 12, but now it is boring. I don't play with GI Joes anymore either.

Meanwhile it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another Mac Pro.

dave49er

join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA
reply to RiseAbove

said by RiseAbove:

Do those NVIDIA cards boot properly and show you the intro screens so you can do things like switch to the windows partition if needed? Most of these alternative non approved graphic cards all miss the proper boot abilities which make them kind of useless.

It depends on what you mean by "boot properly." It comes up to the desktop, which means no EFI boot screen. I can live with that. It's not useless by any means, and that capability is not worth an extra $300 to me. If need be, I can put in my HD2600. If I want Windows, I can switch it the standard way, which is by setting the Start Up Disk, or I use BootChamp (Google it) to boot into Windows. My Mac Pro prefers to spend the majority of its time in OS X, though.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

What about pre boot functions like Internet recovery or OPT for boot (partition) selection? Do those work? With my old flashed card none of it worked. You didn't get anything until you were in OS X.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I'm over working on my cars and I'm over rigging stuff up just to save a couple of bucks. I flashed a PC HD4870 I had for use in my MP meanwhile not all of the card worked, particularly the 2nd DVI port (since the Mac edition was DVI .and mDP) And it isn't a 10 minute job. I had to part together a PC to flash the card since there were no Mac utils for doing it.

I'd rather pay a bit more and do it right the first time as I have zero interest in wrenching. That crap was cool when I was 12, but now it is boring. I don't play with GI Joes anymore either.

Meanwhile it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another Mac Pro.

Plenty of guys can tinker with things and get it right the first time......

And as amusing as you stating that being over wrenching is apparently the same as being over gi joes, the ability to take care of one self is far more of a grown up thing then not being able to.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I can go beat clothes on a rock to get them clean...if I had to just as I could probably still build a wicked GI Joe base using spoons, dirt and a few hours. That doesn't mean I find either fun or interesting. If I had more time than money, sure, I would have no choice. But I have a choice and I choose not to gack stuff together just to save a couple of bucks, especially when it is going into a $3000 box. And yeah, wrenching, O/Cing, running TECs was cool when I was younger but it is boring at crap now. Now I have work to do and prefer to spend time working WITH my machines and zero interest working ON my machines.

Since you bring up cars am I going to buy some cheaper wheels that have the wrong offset and then monkey with spacers or having them milled to make them fit like wheels with the correct offset would? No. I am going to do it the right way even if it is a bit more money.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

My brother is an optometrist and a manager for several eye stores, owns a Corvette, and yet has enough time to tinker with things (Even on the corvette). But he isn't lazy.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I have better things to do with my time.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I would guess the actual chip is similar, but is clocked slower and is power-managed more aggressively... There just isn't any room in that iMac to have an effective heatsink like on a dual slot desktop board.

Maybe if they weren't obsessed with thinness at the edges, lol...

but it is so pretty.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Maybe you should be thankful that the guys who built your house and your car didn't stop 'playing with gi joes' when they were younger. Or what about the guys at Nasa? Cern? All jobs which require the ability to 'play with gi joes'.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Metatron2008:

said by skeechan:

Maybe you should be thankful that the guys who built your house and your car didn't stop 'playing with gi joes' when they were younger. Or what about the guys at Nasa? Cern? All jobs which require the ability to 'play with gi joes'.

--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Don't roll your eyes at me... Equating tinkering with gi joes is an insult to any engineer or anybody who learns by doing.

Some of the biggest names in the world became rich by tinkering with things in a garage... Like Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak..

You know, they could've just bought a computer themselves?

So I wouldn't say it doesn't pay.

And somebody could say they aren't Jobs or Woz, but I'm sure any good/decent mechanic could easily show how many they save on cars, just like anybody on a pc, or any other field.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 recommendation

said by Metatron2008:

Don't roll your eyes at me... Equating tinkering with gi joes is an insult to any engineer or anybody who learns by doing.

Some of the biggest names in the world became rich by tinkering with things in a garage... Like Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak..

And somebody could say they aren't Jobs or Woz, but I'm sure any good/decent mechanic could easily show how many they save on cars, just like anybody on a pc, or any other field.

i don't think he was saying that at all...he was just saying it wasn't for him any more...i'm the same way...i built my first 3 computer systems and had some fun doing it...my last one only ended up being a video card and PS mod...my current one a custom order iMac (meaning, i didn't do anything other than select buttons on the website)...i don't find building and troubleshooting computers fun any more...that isn't to say that people who do that are losers, it just means it's no longer "my thing".
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to Metatron2008

I rolled my eyes because you totally hi-jacked this thread, and felt compelled to give everybody an unnecessary lecture ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Metatron2008

LOL. Get over yourself. Flashing a display adapter is playing with GI Joes...not sending a probe to Mars; talk about insulting. I'm sure the guys and gals at JPL put their work on par with your flashing of video cards.

Typical bench top racer...reading Hot Rod and thinking you are ready for the PSCA.

Let me set you straight sport. It is called opportunity cost. Flashing video cards is a complete waste of my time. That stuff was fun when I was a kid but it is boring as F now. Perhaps because for me, this sort of child's play isn't at all challenging any more. There is no sense of accomplishment in doing something so simple, albeit tedious, nor is $120 worth the compromise of having an inferior result in the end (like losing the partition selection menu or losing one or more video ports).

I have better things to do.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

It's called self-sustainability, and tinkering is exactly why we have things like NASA. You get over yourself. Just because people aren't lazy as hell like you doesn't mean that they are 'ready for the PSCA' or ready to send probes to mars.

What do you have to say about Steve Jobs and Woz? Because all they did at the beginning was design things in a garage. Sometimes the greatest of ideas come from simple tinkering.

And when you break down in the middle of nowhere don't go crying, as your lack of self-sustainability will be what brought you there.

And as for your opportunity cost, I've saved thousands due to know how... But that know how came from learning, which will never happen if you treat tinkering as some kind of child's game.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Metatron2008:

i don't think he was saying that at all...he was just saying it wasn't for him any more...i'm the same way...i built my first 3 computer systems and had some fun doing it...my last one only ended up being a video card and PS mod...my current one a custom order iMac (meaning, i didn't do anything other than select buttons on the website)...i don't find building and troubleshooting computers fun any more...that isn't to say that people who do that are losers, it just means it's no longer "my thing".

It could easily be anybodies thing, the only difference is lazyness.

I have had issues with plumbing that would've cost $200 to sometimes $1000+. I ended up googling the solution and then going to lowes and buying the parts I needed. And I have never been a plumber!

If something goes wrong with my car I google the issue if I don't know what it is. Most of the time, a quick google search can find what is wrong.

I have also done with lawnmowers, electrical, monitors, computers, you name it.

A simple google search has saved me thousands. There's no excuse, anybody who has a basic technical knowhow and isn't completely clumsy can save themselves thousands.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Metatron2008

LOL, I don't have such a short memory. I don't have to beat clothes on a rock every week to remember how to do it. I don't have to build a PC every week to remember how to do it. I don't have to do a valve job every week to remember how to do it. I don't have to reroof a house every week to remember how to do it.

Apparently you have trouble maintaining proficiency. Thankfully I don't.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

I talk about googling things that I have never done, and you talk about doing something every week. I can see why you equate tinkering to toys, you have the attention span of a child.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Says the guy who plays with GIJoes and thinks he is putting a man on the moon.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Quit being condescending, I said the process. Because people tinker, find out things, learn. That is what makes up science.

Again, do you have any answer AT ALL to the fact that Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak was 'playing with Gi Joes' and ended up making the computers that you are using to give your opinion on?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I don't mow my own lawn because I don't have to mow my own lawn. I don't sweep my own pool because I don't have to sweep my own pool. I don't change my own oil because I don't have to change my own oil.

Don't compare ANYTHING you do to ANYTHING JPL, Jobs or Woz has done. You aren't even on the same planet as them.

Good for you that you can change an insinkerator or toilet guts on your own. Here is a cookie. I'm actually more disappointed that you would have to google how to do it.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

I never said what I googled. Quit putting words in my mouth.

Nice method of dodging the question. But you don't know me. And trying to insult me doesn't answer the question.

Unless they have more money then sense, most of the guys I know who can fix things do it. And we know how much we save, esp. over the prices that you pay nowadays.

I seriously doubt that you know anything at all about being self sustaining. If I had to guess, you are some overweight dude who sits on a couch with a beer watching tv all the time.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

And as usual you would be wrong bench top racer.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Care to elaborate? I thought so.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I guess I have to post in Crayon since you have yet to grasp this simple concept of opportunity cost.

I don't mow my own lawn not because I can't but because of the opportunity cost of spending the time to do it. It is the same reason I use a washing machine instead of beating my shirts on a rock at the river. It is the same reason I don't change my own oil. It is the same reason I drive a car to my office rather than walk. I make more "profit", whether actual or in self-enrichment by applying my vast proficiency elsewhere. My time is more valuable to me than other peoples' time is valuable to me. Thus I will pay them to do a task that I have no interest in doing so that my time can be spent doing something that does interest me. Opportunity cost.

Being self sufficient comes with proficiency and you don't have to demonstrate it at every turn to be proficient (evidently you do along with a lot of help from Google). Being smart is in knowing when you should exercise that proficiency versus having someone else do it.

If you still don't get it there is nothing more I can do as you bore me and I have better things to do than continue my obviously futile attempts to educate you.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Metatron2008

Actually I'd say SJ and SW founded Apple (and got rich) because they couldn't "just" buy a computer for themselves.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to skeechan

'Vast proficiency'. Yeah, right. The only thing you are proficient at is being lazy. And twisting words.

No, you don't need to educate me. I can look online real quick and find that non lazy people also say what I'm saying. Go grab another beer and sit back on the couch, I'm gonna go for a run.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

Actually I'd say SJ and SW founded Apple (and got rich) because they couldn't "just" buy a computer for themselves.

The computers at the time were ones where you basically had to put together, as they came in kits, look it up. Jobs and Wozniak enjoyed tinkering (Woz more then Jobs), that is a fact too.