uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

[Network] Trying Out 2 TB Time Capsule

Haven't had an Apple product yet, but since home networking success seems to be very hit-or-miss, figured I'd give the product a shot. Folks seem to be content with their purchase and it'd be worth the money to not have to cycle power every other day to my router. So far, so good...haven't had a wireless hiccup yet and disk write speeds are faster.

Question though...is there a dynamic dns solution that works with the router? I used to have DynDNS Free, but that doesn't seem to be compatible with this product. Any suggestions for service?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I'm not sure if it does, I have my time Capsule in bridge mode so i'm not sure if it's showing me all the options at this moment...
--

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Thaler

I have not used this with my airport extreme, but am posting here in case it helps!

»dyn.com/support/airport-time-cap···mic-dns/

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Thaler

Guh. Thing seems to lock up occasionally. I can't get it via the Airport Utility, pings, IP renewals, etc...have to cycle power to it. When I do, it's beyond warm to the touch. I have no other appliances near it, and it's on a book shelf. What might be causing heating issues, or did I pick up a dud?

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

said by Thaler:

Guh. Thing seems to lock up occasionally. I can't get it via the Airport Utility, pings, IP renewals, etc...have to cycle power to it. When I do, it's beyond warm to the touch. I have no other appliances near it, and it's on a book shelf. What might be causing heating issues, or did I pick up a dud?

You picked up a dud. Mine has been on for over 6 months with heavy usage with none of these issues.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Ah, so the hot Time Capsule is abnormal? I mean, I expect appliances to generate some heat, but this was in the "my old gaming laptop used to seize up" kinda temperature range.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to Thaler

It is normal for them to get quite warm and you should actually get an error message if it's overheating. Though it sounds like yours is behaving a little erratic. Are you using a PC or Mac to configure it? It's not too unusual for it to not always show up in airport utility on a PC. When this happens you can try to access it through File->configure other. It will prompt you for the IP address of the router. By default this will be 10.0.1.1.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

On a PC...just would seem odd that I can't bring up the Airport in the "Browse Network" option just as all internet connectivity to the house seizes up.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to kitsune

said by kitsune:

It is normal for them to get quite warm and you should actually get an error message if it's overheating. Though it sounds like yours is behaving a little erratic. Are you using a PC or Mac to configure it? It's not too unusual for it to not always show up in airport utility on a PC. When this happens you can try to access it through File->configure other. It will prompt you for the IP address of the router. By default this will be 10.0.1.1.

I have never had that problem either. It always shows up in airport utility for me. I guess mine is one of the few that actually just works?

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

On a PC...just would seem odd that I can't bring up the Airport in the "Browse Network" option just as all internet connectivity to the house seizes up.

"Browse Network"? Do you mean the network section in windows explorer? Does it show up their normally? I ask because depending on your OS the default workgroup may not be same which would prevent your windows computer from seeing it there. (The Time Capsule uses WORKGROUP by default). Though from what you have described so far something is definitely a little funky Have you tried performing a factory reset? You hold the reset button for 10 seconds starting with it unplugged. If it's still doing that after a factory reset I would call it in or take it to a local Apple retail store.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Browsing the network via the Airport Utility, I mean.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Gordo74

said by Gordo74:

said by Thaler:

You picked up a dud. Mine has been on for over 6 months with heavy usage with none of these issues.

I haven't had any of those problems with mine either.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Thaler

Alright, picked up a replacement from Best Buy today. See if this one does any better.

And yeah, still having the same problems. Woke up to all household equipment not seeing any available WiFi networks. Scan and scan again, bubkiss. Unplug, replug in Time Machine and the network reappears.

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to Thaler

That sounds like wireless interference. How many other wireless networks are available in your area? What other wireless devices do you have in your home?