uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad

Re: the weather channel local on the 8s hd, when?

said by telcodad:

said by beachintech:

No, I forsee the Weather Channel going the way of the TV Guide channel just to stay on the air down the line. You can get better information online or with a smart phone.

Yes, I agree. Except for a few hours in the morning, it seems everytime I try tuning in now during the day or evening, there seems to be some kind of non-forecast documentary program on, with some of the latest ones seeming to have only a minor relationship to weather (like "Lifeguard!").

Well, starting this fall, it looks like there will be even more airtime taken up with these type of programs:

Weather Channel Announces Five New Series
Network planning new morning show, enhanced local forecasts for fall

By Andrea Morabito, Broadcasting & Cable - April 3, 2013
»www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···ries.php

"The Weather Channel is planning for 2013-14 to be a season of transformation for the network, which will include 20 primetime series, up from eight in 2012."

As far as what's happening with Local on the 8s, I don't know if the HD version will become available on any more Comcast systems, but the article also says:

"Weather Channel is also investing in its "Local on the 8s" infrastructure to present on-camera meteorologists with more locally relevant forecasts."

and a similar article in the NY Times »mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2···ertisers about the coming changes says:
For instance, there will be a revamping of the forecasts known as “Local on the 8s,” Mr. Clark said, and a customization of coverage so that while viewers in markets affected by severe local weather are watching coverage of that news, viewers in other, unaffected markets will be able to continue watching regular programming.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Wow more series on TWC? Classic case of Network Decay!

They just need to put an on screen prompt to push a button to get weather. I have no issue with that on DirecTV.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by cypherstream:

Wow more series on TWC? Classic case of Network Decay!

They just need to put an on screen prompt to push a button to get weather. I have no issue with that on DirecTV.

I just switched my TV to DirecTV and they put the local on the 8's on at the receiver level as DirecTV uses a single transmission point for the whole country.

Maybe Comcast could push a software update to their receivers so the local on the 8's is put on at the receiver instead of at the headend. Many times the headend is in one city and the customer is in another city. Where I live, the headend is in Westfield but I live in Springfield (MA) and those are separate forecast zones in the eyes of the National Weather Service due to terrain.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to telcodad

customization of coverage so that while viewers in markets affected by severe local weather are watching coverage of that news.

Will that be SD only??

Will dish and directv have alt feed for that?

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I say make it the weather documentary channel and split off a REAL WEATHER channel. I like the documentaries and all but I don't tune into the weather channel to watch documentaries. I tune into the weather channel to watch weather.
Maybe it's time for fox or someone to come up with a real weather channel to take on the weather "documentary" channel?

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

The Weather Channel is more of a low-budget reality channel than a documentary channel.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

There was a website called Jump The Shark a few years ago about TV shows gone from good to bad like MTV going from music videos to Beavis & Butthead or Home Improvement when the boys got older.

The Weather Channels has definitely jumped the shark.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

How much do they actually do live weather? Every time I turn it on I see reality shows.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

The weather channel has gotten so bad that I barely watch it. They play the same rerun of Lifeguard for the 500th time this month.

I watch Fox News and that is better than the weather channel. They could have 24 hour live programming by hiring non-meteorologists to read the weather off a TelePrompTer or a script and use the forecasts prepared by the NWS.