how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

september

join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL

Temporarily moving to a new location, will comcast charge me

I will be moving out next week to a new location for about three months, it's only 4 miles away and my modem works fine there. Will comcast want to charge me a fee and send a tech out when I notify them of the address change? Should I even notify them if it's only a temporary move? After the temp move I will move to my new house.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

If the line is already active, you can request a self installation, which there is usually no charge.

If a tech has to be sent out, there will be a charge.

Call and find out.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to september

It sounds as though you are permanently vacating your current address (correct?) Living in a temp location and then setting up service in a new home? If so, you would want to terminate the current account in order for new resident to set up Comcast service.

(I hope you have already ensured your new house -in three months- is in the Comcast database and ready for service.)

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to september

If you look on your comcast.com account page there is a link for moving service.
since you are hooked up and working fine at the new address, I would think the $1.99 account change fee would be all that was needed to end service at the old address and start it at the new (change of address)
while you MIGHT be ok not telling them
1} someone (landlord/ new tenant/new owner) might convince them that no one is using that account
2} something requires service
3} your new location gets disconnected at the pole

MIGHT cause you to lose service with NO quick and easy solution

Much better to tell someone (on the PHONE, is best) what and why you are doing this.

september

Chicago, IL

1 edit
reply to september

Alright so I am at the new address and the internet is working fine. Went on the comcast chat to change my service address..they started me off with a $34.99 tech fee..no go..so later they mention a $5 self install fee. The guy starts processing the order, but tells me he can't do it because the address is not self install ready. According to the database the line at this address has been disconnected in 2011 and they tell me I must be using another provider. I then tell him someone must have reconnected the line and there are no other cable providers here, he starts mentioning that being illegal, making a report etc. This went nowhere. So because the database tells him the address is not self install ready I have to get the tech out and pay the $34.99 "install" fee.

What can I do not to pay this ridiculous fee on an already working line? I can't leave it at my old address because as someone mentioned it could get disconnected by the new tenants.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

Well, at least Comcast did not also accuse you of stealing your own modem the way that they did the last time I moved a Comcast account to a new address.

You might have some luck contacting your local franchise authority (as I did when Comcast refused to allow me to use my "stolen" modem), but it probably won't do any good since Comcast is probably operating within the terms allowed by the franchise agreement.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

AnonMan

@comcast.net

Talk to retentions. Ask if they will credit it back to your account if you allow it otherwise you want to cancel and will get a Telco provider since they seem to not value your business.

They should see that your connected and the system can tell you are in a different location based on the CMTS being different. That said chat agents generally suck also sadly, try calling or the direct forum. I would not let them send anyone because once they do you cant fight the charge as they can say they had to do something lol

obckilroy

join:2011-11-16
reply to september

said by NetFixer:

You might have some luck contacting your local franchise authority

Why?

@ September Call comcast and skip the online chat reps. Tell the phone rep you want to transfer, and that the line in your new house is already active. They can move the boxes to the new account.
Most disconnects are contracted out, yours might have been "done" from a coffee shop.

taz291819

join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL
reply to september

When I moved, the line at my new place was already active. Comcast didn't charge me anything to provision the modem at the new address.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by taz291819:

When I moved, the line at my new place was already active. Comcast didn't charge me anything to provision the modem at the new address.

The problem is that Comcast is not a monolith. Every franchise (and even every employee of every franchise) seems to be totally autonomous and free to do whatever they wish with any national Comcast plan or policy. Ask ten Comcast employees the same question and you will get ten different answers.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to september

said by september:

I will be moving out next week to a new location for about three months, it's only 4 miles away and my modem works fine there. Will comcast want to charge me a fee and send a tech out when I notify them of the address change? Should I even notify them if it's only a temporary move? After the temp move I will move to my new house.

I don't care how illegal (its not, just against Comcast's TOS which is illegal itself). I wouldn't have said a word. Just keep it the way you have it now and never mention it again. You'll just be creating trouble for yourself bro. Just my input, good luck.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits

The problem with leaving it the way it is is if a new customer moves into the apartment he moved out of he goes offline. Since the computer says his new address is discoed he will be left without service until he gets a install at the new address. Much easier to straighten out now than later. I doubt very much your old apartment sits vacant for more than a month at best.

My suggestion would be to call back and hit the downgrade or cancel prompt on comcasts phone tree (use your old address for this). Explain it to them. They can override it but they may not want to do to you may not have a proper connection at the pole. Just for shit and grins care to give us your actual signal strength at the new address. 192.168.100.1

Can you follow your line to see if its not some willy nilly connection that may not even work for long?

Really shouldnt be much of a issue at all if no signals are in the red. If downstream, upstream or snr is red on there end its probably not going to happen.

september

Chicago, IL

2 edits

I can't leave it as it is because I met the soon to be new owners of my condo and they will be installing comcast.

My singal looks good I think

Channel ID 2 5 6 8
Frequency 657000000 Hz 675000000 Hz 681000000 Hz 693000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB 36 dB 35 dB 35 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
5 dBmV 6 dBmV 5 dBmV 5 dBmV
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 11 10 12
Frequency 29500000 Hz 36400000 Hz 24200000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 7634 7634 7634
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec 5.120 Msym/sec 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level 41 dBmV 42 dBmV 39 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
[3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success Success Success

Received a call from the executive office today (866 594 1234) about my situation. The lady told me the same thing about the install fee. It being a procedure and that's what I have to do. That it's a hot tap and pretty much telling me that it could get disconnected any moment. Kept asking why I have to pay an install fee on an active line and just got the same reply over and over, asked about the self intall fee, went back to procedure. So I just told her I'm not paying the fee, she said ok, do you have any more questions end of call.

I'll try calling comcast later today and see if I can reach a reasonable human being.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19

The line may be scheduled for tap disconnection after previous tenant. Perhaps that tenant moved out and didn't cancel, similar to the situation you described in your first post. (thinking of not transferring). Comcast reps can't give you all the info because it is confidential.

I would explain you are moving in a few months and again having Comcast service, and as a good customer would like the install fee waived.

september

Chicago, IL

This new temp address is with my family, they've lived here for 8 years and never had comcast, but cable tv always worked.

september

Chicago, IL

1 edit

I just called them to move my service.
The nice lady on the line gave me a 6 month deal on basic digital cable and blast internet for $50/month with no contract or any fees at all! I was paying $65 for performance before this. I'm happy now. Worked out better than I thought.

Edit:

For some reason my post with the signal levels disappeared after I edited it.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2 5 6 8
Frequency 657000000 Hz 675000000 Hz 681000000 Hz 693000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB 36 dB 35 dB 35 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
5 dBmV 6 dBmV 5 dBmV 5 dBmV
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 11 10 12
Frequency 29500000 Hz 36400000 Hz 24200000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 7634 7634 7634
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec 5.120 Msym/sec 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level 41 dBmV 42 dBmV 39 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
[3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success Success Success

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to september

said by september:

This new temp address is with my family, they've lived here for 8 years and never had comcast, but cable tv always worked.

Agreed, Comcast never comes out to disconnect the service unless they are 1. Already in that area working or 2. They are coming out to a nearby house. And sometimes some areas have sales reps that will disconnect if they notice you are on. So yes NightOwl2 Comcast schedules everyone for disconnection after they cancel but less than 35% are ever actually disconnected.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."