Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

adamtech78

join:2006-01-25
Chicago, IL

looking for thread w clean wiring

Hi.
Sometime ago I've seen a thread with photos of slick wiring at home.
Ethernet drops, coax drops, splitters, ...
and a Comcast tech that came in and said I don't work with this stuff.

While I'm not ready to wire up the house now I think soon I'll be building up a partition in the basement which will hose computes, switches, router, modem, and all the IT spare parts etc.

This setup mentioned above had really cool photos.

I recently scored a wall mount swing away rack I can't wait to get mounted...

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

I have several threads of wall mounted racks....
Not sure if those are the ones you are looking for.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
reply to adamtech78

I've had techs not touch wiring that is Neatly racked, i don't know if I posted pics of that setup but I have done posts here of the newer stuff. Again most techs won't touch for fear of messing with stuff, But I've had some ask what wires are where, or terminate new wires then have me hook them up to the panel how I wanted them.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to adamtech78

is this it?

»[Rant] Tech didn't want to do work because of homerun install....

i dont remember seeing pics, though.

adamtech78

Chicago, IL

(but) I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
(U2)

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

said by adamtech78:

(but) I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
(U2)

Maybe this one?
»My Structured Cable Wiring Project and Home Network!

I know is not this one but it can help
»Network Upgrade..
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

adamtech78

Chicago, IL

That's not it.
I remember close ups of coax patch panel and coax amps.
Each room had one or two drops, but not all drops were active.

I think it may have been in the comcast HSI forum and I've looked in there but it must have gotten burried...
:-(

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to adamtech78

I've sitemarked some but posting every single link here would take time...

maybe this?

»My 1927 bungalow home structured wiring project

when I get home tonight, I might post a screenshot...

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to adamtech78

I ended up going from a 24 port to a six port plate with keystones, since the majority of my equipment is now wireless connected to two A/P's in our house (Netgear WN802T-200 & Trendnet TEW690ap).

All I am using is a 18" shelf to hold my 2-wire 3800HGV-b for U-Verse on, along with a Cirago NUS2000 USB Storage Link, and Netgear GS-108 switch..

I have a Trendnet TEG-S50g (Version v3.0R) 5-port for standby if I need it.

With it coming down to wireless has now become better than what it was five years ago, and especially with Wireless-ac out now, you really are going to see less wired networks for majority of the equipment on the premise.

Another thing that is also becoming more of the norm over HDMI over ethernet wiring, is HDMI over ethernet. Takes a bit of a learning curve, but it is coming of age, that you will see that topology become more common over the older technology of baluns & Cat-5e or Cat-6 wiring.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

wired will always be faster than wireless, IMO. wireless is getting better, obviously, but i still prefer wired if possible.

of course it is all relative and it does depend on the application.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

said by tomdlgns:

wired will always be faster than wireless, IMO. wireless is getting better, obviously, but i still prefer wired if possible.

of course it is all relative and it does depend on the application.

Not anymore. Wireless is now getting faster, especially with Wireless-ac.

Only things wired in my place, are the three U-Verse boxes, the Ted5000, a IP camera, and my two above listed A/P's. Everything else in our house is wireless (thermostat is wireless-b, one camera wireless-g, everything else wireless-N). The PS-3 & our HP Officejet 4500 is setup off of the Netgear, everything else on the Trendnet.

When you start seeing 900meg for Wireless-N, and now Wireless-ac at over 1.3gbps throughput, max rate of over 2gbps, it is actually surpassing wired at this point.

medbuyer

said by old_tech:

When you start seeing 900meg for Wireless-N, and now Wireless-ac at over 1.3gbps throughput, max rate of over 2gbps, it is actually surpassing wired at this point.

by then, wired speeds would have surpassed 2gbps also...right now you can achieve 1gig easily, it's the hardware sometimes that limits that. but if you buy the right equipment, you can get it.

wireless ac isn't widely available and compatible with a lot of systems. it's still technically a draft but there are available systems with it...

»lifehacker.com/5988340/what-is-8···i-faster

I'll never rely on wireless...it's great to have but I'll go for wired since everything in my house is wired anyway as planned when built.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

1 edit

bingo...wired is always ahead of wireless.

of course i did mention that you have to consider the application and need of a faster network.

running new cable might not be worth it/cost effective.

these will be affordable for home use in a few years (same with the switches to go with it).

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33615005

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

said by tomdlgns:

of course i did mention that you have to consider the application and need of a faster network.

these will be affordable for home use in a few years (same with the switches to go with it).

Incorrect, you have it backwards. Wireless is now ahead of wired, if you read what I stated.

»www.merunetworks.com/collateral/···nges.pdf

Netgear's whitepaper on Wireless-ac »www.netgear.com/landing/80211ac/···WiFi.pdf

Cisco's »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···103.html

Wikipedia article »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac
Info on current & proposed 802.11 wireless standards »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 Notice that Wireless-ad is proposed up to 7gbps streams

Current IEEE 802.11 timelines »grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11/R···ines.htm

So again, wired has just been killed by the newer wireless standard and proposed standards.

medbuyer

1 edit

said by old_tech:

said by tomdlgns:

Incorrect, you have it backwards. Wireless is now ahead of wired, if you read what I stated.

Netgear's whitepaper on Wireless-ac »www.netgear.com/landing/80211ac/···WiFi.pdf

Info on current & proposed 802.11 wireless standards »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 Notice that Wireless-ad is proposed up to 7gbps streams

So again, wired has just been killed by the newer wireless standard and proposed standards.

of course, he shows links from networking companies....they're trying to push their products...

what about links of products that work seamlessly with it...

even your links says it's still a draft, with final working approval by 2014.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to old_tech

"Notice that Wireless-ad is proposed up to 7gbps streams"

did you see the network card i posted?

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
reply to old_tech

said by old_tech:

said by tomdlgns:

HAHAHAHA!
You must be joking and I hope you are. Wireless will not surpass wired.... At least in the next 10 years they wont. (Might be a stretch but wireless has a lot to catch up.)
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to tomdlgns

said by tomdlgns:

"Notice that Wireless-ad is proposed up to 7gbps streams"

did you see the network card i posted?

Did you happen to look at what it is used for. Maybe read the info about the product, before posting links about it, that you do not know what it is about.

That card is used for Backplane app's, like Blade servers. The equipment alone that is used with 10gig cards cost more what any consumer would pay, along with the fact, that there is no need for it in a home environment.

Here, to help you a little, since you did not read the disclaimer, this is what it states at that link "Solarflare offers a family of single- and dual-port 10GbE server adapters that deliver high bandwidth, industry leading latency and power, with stateless offloads that minimize CPU utilization. The Solarflare server adapter product family supports both SFP+ and 10GBASE-T media. The SFP+ adapter supports optical modules or direct attach copper twin-ax cables, while the 10GBASE-T supports Category 6A, 6, 5E cabling types which are compatible with existing data center infrastructures for distances up to 100 meters."

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

that equipment will be cheaper in the years to come (for home use).

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to old_tech

duplicate post

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to tomdlgns

said by tomdlgns:

that equipment will be cheaper in the years to come (for home use).

Again, there is no need for 10gig in a home environment, whatever you think

medbuyer

said by old_tech:

Again, there is no need for 10gig in a home environment, whatever you think

maybe not yet, but then again you started posting about wireless having great speeds and believe it will be faster than wired.

I can't understand you...you started saying things that wireless is faster and all that even trying to justify that it is faster than wired but then you backtrack and say 10gig isn't needed in a home, which all of this discussion started...

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

exactly...

who knows how media will be in the years to come. it is obvious everything is going to streaming. internet connections are becoming faster, media compression/buffering isnt great, but has greatly improved from years ago, so we are making a step in the right direction, but just when you think they have it, something will change.

i have heard that the 1080p format will stick for a while, but you never know when that will change.

all i am saying (to old_tech) is that wifi is getting better, but so will wired.

and forget i posted the 10 gb card...maybe they release a 5 gb card for home use? who knows...

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to medbuyer

I am not backtracking on the fact. Again, 10Gbe will never be in a home environment, because of the type of application that it is used. In the home & SoHo environment, since we are a mobile society, you are seeing wireless surpass wired environments.

That means that less devices will be wired in the home, because the equipment to connect back to your router will be fast enough, and the fact, that the majority of the equipment people use now, like tablets, notebooks, smartphones, etc. do not need a wired connection.

Even with items like Blu-Ray players, Smart-Tv's, gaming systems, you are seeing Wireless-N built into them, which even in five years, you will start to see the higher speeds in them, vs. the standard Wireless-N 150mbps that is in most that have been built in the past year or twol

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to tomdlgns

Media Compression is better, in the next five years, the nextgen 4k chipset for h.265 will be coming out. That is why standards are changing.

BTW, there will never be a 5gig card released for the home, because only way it would be, is if it is wireless standard, not wired. Face it, wired is old school, wireless is now the new standard.

People need to get out of this five years ago thinking, that wireless is not going to be the best way to go, when it actually is now, since the new chipsets have been coming out in most newer devices, and showing its colors, that it can serve up media.

With Wireless-ac, you can send 1080p video on your network, with no artifacts. Maybe you need to read the info, instead of shooting off the hip.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to adamtech78

Ford...Chevy

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to old_tech

said by old_tech:

With Wireless-ac, you can send 1080p video on your network, with no artifacts. Maybe you need to read the info, instead of shooting off the hip.

you do realize that current wifi cards/routers say they can support 1080p (but when tested it works like crap)...

regardless of what you or the white papers say, it will always be a cat and mouse game.

something will get better that will require more bandwidth from wifi.

anyway, to each their own.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

Actually not all can support 1080p, at most, most can only support 720p. You really need to read on this stuff, before making an opinion.

Again, with Wireless-ac, you can now send 1080p to devices with no compression or artifacting during playback.

As for bandwidth, you need to read the information again, than making a statement that you cannot stand behind.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to adamtech78

I'd be inclined to agree with you that 802.11ac had surpassed wired networks if 1.3gbps wasn't not only the theoretical top speed currently, but also the full duplex speed. Current wired speed is 2gbps full duplex (1gbps each way) andwitha powerful enough cpu or a hardware offload network card, both of which are par for the course now a days, you will see full saturation.

Right now out of all the current 2x2 and 3x3 802.11ac hardware, we aren't seeing over 0.20 of the advertised lock rate of the hardware, or roughly 1/8th of current economical residential gigabit wired networking.

»www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wi-···-10.html

Here is what I will give 802.11ac. While it is somewhat better as far as transfer speed that the previous generation of wireless, it is FAR superior at distance that previous generations, thanks to the standards native beamforming.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to old_tech

said by old_tech:

Actually not all can support 1080p, at most, most can only support 720p. You really need to read on this stuff, before making an opinion.

Again, with Wireless-ac, you can now send 1080p to devices with no compression or artifacting during playback.

As for bandwidth, you need to read the information again, than making a statement that you cannot stand behind.

all i am saying is that everything is going to evolve and improve, that is a fact. they are not going to stop tweaking/improving wired networks because wifi has better speeds. that is the part that i think you are missing.

also, wireless being the new standard and wired being an old standard is your opinion.