Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to jmcneill

Re: [DSL] Minimum upstream rate for Bell 50/10

ya your at about what your going to get Your fed by a Stinger they are what they are accept it and enjoy the 50 portion P:0 is my recomendation
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to jmcneill

I don't know what this min 9 up business is all about. It's never been mentioned to me officially. Upload on VDSL has traditionally been an 'upto speed' with no minimum.

I would never abort an install if someone couldn't get their 10 meg up.

Also. I'd like to point out that the OP isn't profiled correctly. He is profiled for 8 meg sync.

I'd bet 5 pennies if his profile was changed to an 11 meg profile for that stinger, his attainables would go up for his upstream.

It's the little known fact with stinger OSLAMs. They have to be set at the higher upload speeds manually to unlock another annex that allows for higher upstream attainables.

I see it all the time on repairs for Bell customers.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
reply to jmcneill

said by jmcneill:

Unfortunately no other equipment involved, it goes: demarc outside, feeds directly into house, into POTS splitter installed by tech yesterday, with phone cable that came with rented Sagemcom from the jack marked "VDSL" on that directly into the brand new rented Sagemcom. The other two jacks on the POTS splitter are unused (in-home wiring is fed from VoIP ATA).

I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days and have reported the issue to Teksavvy. We'll see how it goes, thanks for your suggestions!

Make sure the in house wires are not linked at any point into the bell line. the ATA powering then if it's cross connected into the Filter bell installed would cause an issue like this.

The tech may have accidentally terminated you internal phone wires into the bell lines. (my tech did, I had to re do his work).

Double and triple check for this,
especially if a line tech trouble ticket is made for the modem if it turns out the ATA is cross talking the bell line, Bell would for sure bill you for it.

jmcneill

join:2010-04-06
Canada
reply to urbang33k

I had asked Teksavvy to bump it when I originally noticed the 7M limit, and their reply was "Unfortunately with these stats I would not be able to raise your profile as after calculating it seems the line can only handle about 9.4 megs of upload." Didn't sound like changing to 11M was an option.

jmcneill

Canada
reply to BTC Kevin

Yep I checked, the blue pair from the white cat5e marked "0" goes into the POTS splitter, and the VDSL port goes out directly to the modem with the cable that came with it. Nothing else hooked up.

BTC Kevin

Nepean, ON

hmm wonder if the modem + firmware version he is using isn't playing nice with the Stinger?

jmcneill

Canada

Sagemcom, upgraded itself when it first connected, now shows:

Firmware Version: FAST2864_v6740S
Rescue Version: FAST2864_v7740S
Hardware Version: 2864-000000-002

urbang33k

Canada
reply to jmcneill

This is what I'm getting at though. A stinger OSLAM 'lies' to you when its reporting attainables.

I can have a customer profiled for 8 meg upload. his attainable may be reported as 10 meg.

If i take same customer and reprofile him for 11 meg, his attainable will jump to 13 or more.

Something about increasing the profile on a stinger increases his attainables and I'm assuming it's unlocking higher annex's.

It's like going from 7 meg adsl profile on a stinger with it reporting 10 meg max attainable. then setting it to 14 meg adsl2+ and the same port will report a 21 meg attainable.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

jmcneill

Canada

Is this a change that Teksavvy will normally try to push through, or is it going to take some convincing/harassing?

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

said by jmcneill:

Is this a change that Teksavvy will normally try to push through, or is it going to take some convincing/harassing?

It'll take convincing/harassing since your download is fine.
Worth a try though.

Maybe they put you on a lower profile since you on an OSLAM.
I barely get 9 on speedtests even though it says I synced at 11.
Line Profile: V53952-26944_11328-2048_00011
DLM State: DISABLED | Equip. Type: 7330_REM
Sync Rate: d53923.0/u11328.0 kbps
RCO: d98.0/u39.0%

urbang33k

Canada
reply to jmcneill

said by jmcneill:

I wouldn't know. I'm not a TS employee

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Well myself i think your upload might even be a little high for your connection if your experiencing dropouts to 1meg occasionally, oslams only use vdsl2 12a which pushes alot more signal in alot less Space. than a 17A profile and On top of this Stingers are very Bad at Pushing signal either way.. good luck
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to jmcneill

Check to see what you get at the demarc plugged directly into the modem.

When my 25/10 was first installed, I was getting 25/7 in the house, 25/9.5 at the demarc.

I called my ISP, the next tech that came fixed up some of the wiring and now I get 25/9 in the house, so I'm ok with that. I may venture out in the nicer weather and try a new cable from the demarc to the modem, however I'm not sure if I'll actually be that motivated for .5 Mbps.

If it's 7 Mbps at the demarc, there may be little anyone wants to do about that. I know Electronic Box has a 30 day installation warranty, so you may want to check if Tek has that too and get it taken care of within that window.

BTC Kevin

Nepean, ON

For best luck getting a Bell service ticket approved via TSI, call when your line is syncing down at the 1-3mbps.

When it's up at 8.1 Bell will probably deny a request to TSI, and simply say "oh well, thats what he gets." If you can demonstrate only 1mbps TSI has more leverage to have the line looked at.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to urbang33k

said by urbang33k:

This is what I'm getting at though. A stinger OSLAM 'lies' to you when its reporting attainables.

I can have a customer profiled for 8 meg upload. his attainable may be reported as 10 meg.

If i take same customer and reprofile him for 11 meg, his attainable will jump to 13 or more.

Something about increasing the profile on a stinger increases his attainables and I'm assuming it's unlocking higher annex's.

It's like going from 7 meg adsl profile on a stinger with it reporting 10 meg max attainable. then setting it to 14 meg adsl2+ and the same port will report a 21 meg attainable.

Attainable speeds are based on the current technology being used. ADSL2+ doesn't use the same amount of spectrum of ADSL, so of course the attainable on ADSL2+ will be different...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

urbang33k

Canada

2 edits

said by Guspaz:

Attainable speeds are based on the current technology being used. ADSL2+ doesn't use the same amount of spectrum of ADSL, so of course the attainable on ADSL2+ will be different...

Ya that's kind of the point I was making.

People are assuming with stinger OSLAMs that just because your in VDSL2, the attainables you see are what your going to get.

And I saying that not necessarily the case.

Unlike the 7330 where it shows you attainables based on it's fullest 17mhz spectrum potential (edit: assuming your on a 17a profile), the Oslam doesn't show you VDSL2 attainables based on 12mhz spectrum unless the port is set to a profile that would require those higher frequencies to be used.
--