share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to koitsu

Re: Is on-board RealTek audio really that bad?

And it's confirmed by a staff member at MalwareBytes that Web Site Blocking does indeed cause these audio issues when combined with specific hardware combinations.

I have to admit that this has got to be one of the most exhausting and lengthy troubleshooting experiences I've ever had to deal with.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
Now this is what I like to see...

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
My guess is that because whatever is in MalwareBytes' Web Site Blocking calls for a DPC that takes longer than it should, it causes the processor to spend more than it should on a single task. At least, that's what I seem to understand. DPCs, or Deferred Procedure Calls are rather technical.

Because of the nature of audio and the fact that it requires near real-time processing, anything that can cause the CPU to lock itself up doing something else will cause an audible audio dropout.
--
Tom

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
said by trparky:

My guess is that because whatever is in MalwareBytes' Web Site Blocking calls for a DPC that takes longer than it should, it causes the processor to spend more than it should on a single task. At least, that's what I seem to understand. DPCs, or Deferred Procedure Calls are rather technical.

Because of the nature of audio and the fact that it requires near real-time processing, anything that can cause the CPU to lock itself up doing something else will cause an audible audio dropout.

Now back to the original subject.

That is really why a lot of gamers, audiophiles, enthusiasts, etc prefer a real sound card over onboard audio (including myself). Most times (but not in all cases) onboard audio will use your processor rather than being able to support it's own functions.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
For the average user that listens to occasional music with a decent pair of headphones, would getting a dedicated sound card be even worth it?
--
Tom

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by trparky:

For the average user that listens to occasional music with a decent pair of headphones, would getting a dedicated sound card be even worth it?

Frankly, not really. Some might be able to tell the difference, but it also depends on your source material. If what you usually listen to is streaming radio or 160k MP3s, the it really dosen't matter.

Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy Cable
said by sk1939:

said by trparky:

Frankly, not really. Some might be able to tell the difference, but it also depends on your source material. If what you usually listen to is streaming radio or 160k MP3s, the it really dosen't matter.

My answer would be... depends on whether you can hear the system noise in your headphones.

I can hear higher frequencies than the average person, and system noise bugs the hell out of me. Putting the speakers an inch away from my ear drum is just going to make the system sound that much more audible.

I'm 40, so technically my high frequency response should be dropping off soon. The younger you are, the higher the frequency you can hear, in general.