spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdshs

@teksavvy.com

DISA service to change my outbound caller ID?

Hi everyone,

Here's my situation, we use cell phones as our work phone. So when we call someone, it will say for example "JOHN SMITH" 780-788-3847 on the persons caller ID which is fine. We want for some calls to have it show the same number, but show our company name instead of John Smith. I have DISA with voip.ms but it only does number and not name. Are there any services out there ideally pay per use that anyone knows of, where we can call into a Canadian DID number and then make an outbound call having it show a different outbound name/number? It would be the same name each time for each user and not changed on the fly but just wondering what options there might be.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
said by mdshs :

Hi everyone,

Here's my situation, we use cell phones as our work phone. So when we call someone, it will say for example "JOHN SMITH" 780-788-3847 on the persons caller ID which is fine. We want for some calls to have it show the same number, but show our company name instead of John Smith. I have DISA with voip.ms but it only does number and not name. Are there any services out there ideally pay per use that anyone knows of, where we can call into a Canadian DID number and then make an outbound call having it show a different outbound name/number? It would be the same name each time for each user and not changed on the fly but just wondering what options there might be.

I know that voip.ms allows you to change the CNAM for some US DIDs (you need to open a support ticket to get this changed).

Since you are posting from a teksavvy address, I assume you have a Canadian DID. So, you might want to ask if they do this for Canadian DIDs as well.

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH
reply to mdshs
You can't do what you want with a voip.ms DISA.
Voip.ms doesn't allow you to set the CNAM on a disa.

However, if your users have smartphones, you can do a VoIP call via voip.ms, and have the client (such as csipsimple on Android) set the CNAM.

Here's voip.ms' wiki on CNAM in Canada:

"If you will be making calls to Canadian numbers, you can simply pass the Caller ID name from your device or system (if it supports it, most Softphones do). You will need to check for a field on the interface from the device to enter this setting, and in case you are using a more advanced system, get assistance to set the outgoing caller ID name set up."

If your users have plain old flip phones, then another way to do this is with your own Asterisk PBX (About $14/month for a virtual pbx from RentPBX). If you have enough users who want to do this, it will justify the cost.

With Asterisk, you can set CNAM/CID on any outgoing call, eg, "John Smith" <902-555-1212> Of course this will only work when dialing Canadian numbers.

--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
reply to mdshs
AcroVoice can do this but you'll be looking at a minimum monthly charge so it's only economical if you'll have a fairly regular volume of calls.

I'd suggest creating an account here so you can PM me to discuss further, otherwise feel free to mail me at my forum name at acrovoice.ca.
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

mdshs

@teksavvy.com
reply to w1ve
I know that voip.ms doesn't do name, and we dont' want to use a SIP phone we want our cell phones but for whatever reason Asterisk never passes caller ID name to voip.ms for me. It always used to but I've tried literally 5 times in the past few weeks with different installs and it never works. A SIP phone registered to Asterisk does pass caller ID to voip.ms, but calling through DISA on Asterisk or follow me etc never sends the name, it just sends number and I can't figure out why. It never used to do that for me but the standard install seems to do it all the time for me now so I'm at a loss.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
reply to mdshs
Have you submitted a feature request on voip.ms?

mdshs

@teksavvy.com
No I haven't but I can. I asked them about it before in a ticket but they just said it's not supported.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to w1ve
said by w1ve:

Actually, you can. If you set the CallerID Number Override to your voip.ms DID AND you have set the CNAM on this DID, it will work.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
said by crazyk4952:

Actually, you can. If you set the CallerID Number Override to your voip.ms DID AND you have set the CNAM on this DID, it will work.

That setting appears to change both the caller id number and caller id name. So if you set the calledID number override to 212-345-6789, your caller ID will appear like "2123456789" <212-345-6789>.

In Canada, Caller ID names are passed through on most routes.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to mdshs
In Canada (unlike in the U.S. where CNAM info comes from a database that receiving callers carriers dips from) the outgoing carrier sets the CNAM info in the outgoing calls data information.

w1ve
Premium
Hancock, NH
reply to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

said by w1ve:

[att=1]

Sorry, you are wrong. From the Voip.ms Wiki:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Outgoing Caller ID name

The caller ID name is an additional information you can pass along with your Caller ID number. This will also be received on the callee's end and it could be your name or you Business.
For example: "John Smith"<9145551234>
The sample above is a Caller ID, that includes both Caller ID name and Caller ID number, commonly abbreviated as CID and CNAM among other variations.

Is not possible to set any Caller ID name from the voip.ms portal.
------------------------------------------------------------------
See the last sentence.

You have NO WAY to set the CNAM on the portal.

Now, if you connect to Voip.ms using a VoIP device (SIP or IAX), you can pass the CNAM, and if you are dialing a Canadian number, it will go through. However, I've never tested this with DISA, so don't know if that works. That said, the only way this will work is with a SIP or IAX device passing the CNAM, and again, only in Canada.
The OP was speaking of cell phones, which may not be smartphones.

--
voip.ms • Flowroute • Anveo • Localphone • CallCentric • GoogleVoice • Asterisk/PIAF • FreeSwitch • csipsimple • Bria • Blink • GXP2200 • Yealink ... All things VoIP!

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
said by w1ve:

said by crazyk4952:

said by w1ve:

[att=1]

Sorry, you are wrong. From the Voip.ms Wiki:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Outgoing Caller ID name

The caller ID name is an additional information you can pass along with your Caller ID number. This will also be received on the callee's end and it could be your name or you Business.
For example: "John Smith"<9145551234>
The sample above is a Caller ID, that includes both Caller ID name and Caller ID number, commonly abbreviated as CID and CNAM among other variations.

Is not possible to set any Caller ID name from the voip.ms portal.
------------------------------------------------------------------
See the last sentence.

Now, if you connect to Voip.ms using a VoIP device (SIP or IAX), you can pass the CNAM, and if you are dialing a Canadian number, it will go through. However, I've never tested this with DISA, so don't know if that works. That said, the only way this will work is with a SIP or IAX device passing the CNAM, and again, only in Canada.
The OP was speaking of cell phones, which may not be smartphones.

Sorry, actually you are wrong. Voip.ms is able to set the CNAM for some of their DIDs. You would do this by paying a $10 fee and opening a ticket requesting them to change your CNAM. I just did this for one of my DIDs.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
said by crazyk4952:

Sorry, actually you are wrong. Voip.ms is able to set the CNAM for some of their DIDs. You would do this by paying a $10 fee and opening a ticket requesting them to change your CNAM. I just did this for one of my DIDs.

That will update LIDBs so the called party can do a CNAM lookup on the number. That's not the way it works here in Canada - not unless the called party is with a company (likely only VoIP) that offers CNAM dips.

They're talking about setting the name that is sent along with the caller ID number when the call is made.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
said by cybersaga:

said by crazyk4952:

That will update LIDBs so the called party can do a CNAM lookup on the number. That's not the way it works here in Canada - not unless the called party is with a company (likely only VoIP) that offers CNAM dips.

They're talking about setting the name that is sent along with the caller ID number when the call is made.

This is true with Canadian DIDs. However I was responding to the following blanket statement:

said by w1ve:

The above statement is not for all DIDs.

w1ve
Premium
Hancock, NH

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

crazyk4952, You keep trying to prove a point by changing the circumstances.

USA LIDB population does not equal passing CNAM in Canada. Two completely different things. READ THE OP. He is talking about Canada. There is no LIDB database in Canada. There, CNAM is sent by the originating carrier (The voip.ms user, in this case).

LIDB may work for you in the US, but it's certainly not going to the help the OP, who is talking about Canada!

And by the way, my "blanket statement" is still true:
"You have NO WAY to set the CNAM on the portal."
If you are in the US, you have to contact voip.ms support, ask them if they can populate the LIDB for your US number, and pay $10. This is obviously not via the portal user interface.
For Canada, you can only set your CNAM via your equipment, not via the portal.

--
voip.ms • Flowroute • Anveo • Localphone • CallCentric • GoogleVoice • Asterisk/PIAF • FreeSwitch • csipsimple • Bria • Blink • GXP2200 • Yealink ... All things VoIP!

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse
Does anyone know if a caller in the U.S. populates CNAM info in the Canadian manner (where the callers originating carrier passes the info with the outgoing call information) if any U.S. carrier or end-user equipment will ever utilize that CNAM info and display it on the receiving parties Caller ID screen? Perhaps this can or will occur if the receiving party does not subscribe to CNAM via his carrier or if his carrier does not support CNAM (i.e. Google Voice via Obi) or if the LIDB database has no entry for the calling DID or some other circumstances?

[My above question pertains only to domestic U.S. calls.]

===============================

Also, when a call is made from the U.S. to Canada or from Canada to the U.S., how (or does) CNAM info pass on the call -- considering that the two countries use different CNAM technologies?

w1ve
Premium
Hancock, NH
I have both Canadian and US DIDs/trunks.

One of my US DIDs has LIDB populated (FlowRoute DID, which does this for free.)

If I call one of my voip.ms Canadian numbers from that DID, and I'm registered with a Canadian POP, I do not get CNAM, just the number.

If I call through a voip.ms trunk that is at a Canadian POP and I set the CNAM, I do not see the CNAM on my US trunks.

So, no, I do not think the systems cross-populate. At least in my experience and testing. Others may have different experiences.
--

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
reply to josephf
I can answer part of your question. A POTS user (at least in the West) would typically see CITY, STATE as the CNAM for an American call. Since it's so easy to subscribe to a CNAM service, VoIP users will often see the actual name.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse
So what you and w1ve are both indicating is that with cross-border calls between the U.S. and Canada, typically (i.e. with POTS) CNAM does not crossover.

[The first question from my previous post remains unanswered, if anyone might have any insight.]

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to w1ve
said by w1ve:

If you are in the US, you have to contact voip.ms support, ask them if they can populate the LIDB for your US number, and pay $10. This is obviously not via the portal user interface.

Support is contacted via the Customer Portal.

w1ve
Premium
Hancock, NH
said by crazyk4952:

said by w1ve:

Support is contacted via the Customer Portal.

OMG!
--

w1ve
Premium
Hancock, NH
reply to josephf
said by josephf:

So what you and w1ve are both indicating is that with cross-border calls between the U.S. and Canada, typically (i.e. with POTS) CNAM does not crossover.

[The first question from my previous post remains unanswered, if anyone might have any insight.]

Your first question was:
"Does anyone know if a caller in the U.S. populates CNAM info in the Canadian manner (where the callers originating carrier passes the info with the outgoing call information) if any U.S. carrier or end-user equipment will ever utilize that CNAM info and display it on the receiving parties Caller ID screen?"

I populate all my outgoing caller id's with the fully-decorated CNAM + number. As far as I know, If you are travelling on the PSTN in the US, this does not reach any caller. If you are on a VoIP-to-VoIP call, for sure it works. In fact, even though it is set on my outgoing trunks, whatever is populated in the LIDB is what shows up to people I call who are on the PSTN. For VoIP endpoints, there are many alternatives to get Caller Name, and these work well.

As Trev noted, a lot of this depends on who your PSTN is in Canada, and what services you are subscribed to.
--

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse
said by w1ve:

I populate all my outgoing caller id's with the fully-decorated CNAM + number. As far as I know, If you are travelling on the PSTN in the US, this does not reach any caller. If you are on a VoIP-to-VoIP call, for sure it works.

Are you saying that all VoIP carriers will pass along to the end-users device the CNAM populated in the outgoing call (rather than the LIDB) if the callers data has the CNAM info populated?

==========================================

I've noticed when using Google Voice via Obi that a small percentage of incoming calls contain CNAM. I see this from calls originating from some of the major U.S. wireless carriers as well as from some landlines.

w1ve
Premium
Hancock, NH
Josephf,

Sorry to confuse with Apples and Oranges.

Pure VoIP calls, over SIP (or IAX) -- no PSTN involved -- you are going to get whatever is sent by the source of the Call.

In the United States, anybody who subscribes to Caller Name feature from their phone company will get Caller Name from what is populated in the LIDB. When the call reaches your PSTN provider, they do a dip in the LIDB to see if there is a matching name for the number.
If not, you might just get the city and state, or nothing. It does not matter WHERE the call came from, VoIP or PSTN, or what is supplied in the originating SIP (if SIP on VoIP). If a call originated in Canada, you'll get OUT OF AREA, or perhaps the Province.

If your incoming phone comes from a VoIP provider who is providing you a PSTN DID, that provider can do the LIDB dip, for a cost, or they might even provide some other service (there are many). I have an Asterisk PBX, and I use LIDB + 4 other internet-provided services that try to establish who the caller name is.

BOTTOM Line: If you populate your caller name in your outbound call to a SIP/IAX trunk to the PSTN, the only way the other end of a call on the PSTN is going to see it is:
- You are terminating with a Canadian provider.
- The Canadian provider supports passing CNAM (most do)
- The person you are calling is subscribed to Caller Name and is in Canada.

CNAM in North America is really a mess IMHO.

On you Obi -- wierd. I do not know what CNAM Google provides.
Perhaps soemone can enlighten us.
--

josephf

Google provides no CNAM whatsoever. (After all, GV was never designed to be used directly on a telephone receiver.)