spc
uniqs

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

1 edit

BTC Kevin

Re: [DSL] Minimum upstream rate for Bell 50/10

Between 7-10Mb technically speaking is acceptably good sync rates on VDSL. Not sure how Bell is able to claim 9Mb guaranteed but suspect it comes with a nice little * clause attached to that.

I suspect TSI as a TPI only gets a commitment of "Min. 3 Mbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds." for all 10Mb uploads from Bell. The 9Mb commitment from Bell is probably for FTTH not FTTN.

Tom17
join:2008-11-26
Whitby, ON

Tom17

For my address, the smallprint says this:

For 15/10:
"Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell: min. 10 Mbps and max. 15 Mbps down speeds; Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds."

For 25/10:
"Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 3 Mbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds. "

For 50/10:
"Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell : min. 46 Mbps and max. 50 Mbps down speeds; Min. 9 Mbps and max.10 Mbps up speeds."

I wonder how this is determined, as surely all three of those tarrifs should be on VDSL2...

jmcneill
join:2010-04-06
Canada

jmcneill to BTC Kevin

to BTC Kevin
The "min 9" is in the fine-print cause, see their product page for more info.

Power cycled the modem a few times, now I'm only getting anywhere between 3 and 5 Mbps up. Not sure what's going on.

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

ouch ya 3mbps is kinda low

jmcneill
Canada

jmcneill

The worst: »speedtest.net/result/262 ··· 5842.png
The best: »speedtest.net/result/262 ··· 5773.png

If I could get 7M consistent I'd be happy (of course more would be better!)

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

if modem is rented. ask for a new one. if bought from TSI ask if can get a replacement under warrantee. eliminate the modem as a fault.

and I'd ask to open a ticket for line trouble shooting with bell. based on the fact the sync jumps around from 1-8 mbps. 1Mb is def an issue.

if you can. I'd try disconnecting the internal telephone lines in the house. a BAD telephone even with a filter can mess up a DSL modem.

I had a Walmart cheep telephone that when plugged in completely wrecked my sync. had to replace the phone. lol

jmcneill
Canada

jmcneill

Unfortunately no other equipment involved, it goes: demarc outside, feeds directly into house, into POTS splitter installed by tech yesterday, with phone cable that came with rented Sagemcom from the jack marked "VDSL" on that directly into the brand new rented Sagemcom. The other two jacks on the POTS splitter are unused (in-home wiring is fed from VoIP ATA).

I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days and have reported the issue to Teksavvy. We'll see how it goes, thanks for your suggestions!
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

ya your at about what your going to get Your fed by a Stinger they are what they are accept it and enjoy the 50 portion P:0 is my recomendation

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to jmcneill

to jmcneill
said by jmcneill:

Unfortunately no other equipment involved, it goes: demarc outside, feeds directly into house, into POTS splitter installed by tech yesterday, with phone cable that came with rented Sagemcom from the jack marked "VDSL" on that directly into the brand new rented Sagemcom. The other two jacks on the POTS splitter are unused (in-home wiring is fed from VoIP ATA).

I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days and have reported the issue to Teksavvy. We'll see how it goes, thanks for your suggestions!

Make sure the in house wires are not linked at any point into the bell line. the ATA powering then if it's cross connected into the Filter bell installed would cause an issue like this.

The tech may have accidentally terminated you internal phone wires into the bell lines. (my tech did, I had to re do his work).

Double and triple check for this,
especially if a line tech trouble ticket is made for the modem if it turns out the ATA is cross talking the bell line, Bell would for sure bill you for it.

jmcneill
Canada

jmcneill

Yep I checked, the blue pair from the white cat5e marked "0" goes into the POTS splitter, and the VDSL port goes out directly to the modem with the cable that came with it. Nothing else hooked up.

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

hmm wonder if the modem + firmware version he is using isn't playing nice with the Stinger?

jmcneill
Canada

jmcneill

Sagemcom, upgraded itself when it first connected, now shows:

Firmware Version: FAST2864_v6740S
Rescue Version: FAST2864_v7740S
Hardware Version: 2864-000000-002
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to jmcneill

to jmcneill
Check to see what you get at the demarc plugged directly into the modem.

When my 25/10 was first installed, I was getting 25/7 in the house, 25/9.5 at the demarc.

I called my ISP, the next tech that came fixed up some of the wiring and now I get 25/9 in the house, so I'm ok with that. I may venture out in the nicer weather and try a new cable from the demarc to the modem, however I'm not sure if I'll actually be that motivated for .5 Mbps.

If it's 7 Mbps at the demarc, there may be little anyone wants to do about that. I know Electronic Box has a 30 day installation warranty, so you may want to check if Tek has that too and get it taken care of within that window.

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

For best luck getting a Bell service ticket approved via TSI, call when your line is syncing down at the 1-3mbps.

When it's up at 8.1 Bell will probably deny a request to TSI, and simply say "oh well, thats what he gets." If you can demonstrate only 1mbps TSI has more leverage to have the line looked at.