spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rhonda912

join:2010-06-26

upstream SNR low but downstream SNR is normal

I recently looked at my transceiver stats and saw that my upstream SNR dropped from 20 to 6 dB and is remaining there. My downstream SNR has stayed the same at 14-16 dB. My up speed has correspondingly dropped (according to the transceiver stats to 32 kbps; I think it used to be 264 kbps), while my down speed remains the same.

What do these symptoms normally mean and what course of action should I take? I appreciate any responses.

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

usually i see downstream snr and speed do that, but not upstream, although it's possible.

since i am intrigued as to what's going on, post up the full stats page, bar any personal info. i want to see if what i think is going on is similar to what one of my dsl lines has been doing.

Rhonda912

join:2010-06-26

2 edits

Click for full size
current transceiver stats
Since the time I posted, I keep losing connectivity.

EDIT: Now everything seems fine. After disconnecting the modem from the electric outlet for a couple of hours, my upload speed has gone back to 448 kbps (I was mistaken in my first post about normal upload speed) and my up margin has gone up to 19. Still, I'm curious about what caused this glitch.

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

hmmm, i was hoping you had one of the newer modems that reported power levels in the stats. my guess is that it turned down the amount of power it was using to keep the margins up, and thusly dropped the margin too low, then a noise spike came along and caused it to become really slow. this is usually a modem glitch, but i would also suggest keeping the modem well ventilated, as i think they can also do this if overheating.