IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Locksmith demolished lock

Long story short, we got a new neighbor in the duplex (much better than the previous tenants) and she got locked out. I heard a pounding downstairs so I yelled through the door and verified it was my neighbor and she got locked out and the landlord was unable to come so she hired a locksmith to let her in. The locksmith demolished the lock because I think they are pick proof.

They are the Kwickset SmartKey locks. I am wondering if it is necessary to demolish these locks to get in without a key. Now the neighbor is out $140 plus the cost of a new lock.

Nothing worse than home repair after hours.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 recommendation

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

She won't forget her keys again

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

They are the Kwickset SmartKey locks. I am wondering if it is necessary to demolish these locks to get in without a key. Now the neighbor is out $140 plus the cost of a new lock.

One of the weakest locksets out there... check this video out:

»www.wired.com/video/lock ··· 60734001

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

1 recommendation

Raphion to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I found instructions on picking it with no trouble at all with a quick search.

It's in the interest of the locksmith to destroy a lock rather than picking it though. It's usually much quicker and easier to destroy them than to pick them, and then he gets to sell you a new lock + installation.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to dib22

to dib22
said by dib22:

said by IowaCowboy:

One of the weakest locksets out there... check this video out:

»www.wired.com/video/lock ··· 60734001

Any lock can be defeated pretty easily. They train EMT's, firefighters, etc.how to get into any place FAST. It doesn't matter if it's a commercial door/lock or a cheap residential door/lock. The best money can buy is still weak. They are meant to keep the honest man honest and nothing more. In my younger days I was pretty proficient at defeating locks.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to Raphion

Premium Member

to Raphion
said by Raphion:

I found instructions on picking it with no trouble at all with a quick search.

It's in the interest of the locksmith to destroy a lock rather than picking it though. It's usually much quicker and easier to destroy them than to pick them, and then he gets to sell you a new lock + installation.

^ This

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Interesting. I thought the title "locksmith" implied some sort of professional skill. If destroying the lock is all that was done when there appears to the ability to defeat the lock based on what others have posted, then that makes us all locksmiths, eh?

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 recommendation

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by sempergoofy:

Interesting. I thought the title "locksmith" implied some sort of professional skill. If destroying the lock is all that was done when there appears to the ability to defeat the lock based on what others have posted, then that makes us all locksmiths, eh?

Destroying a $45 lock while getting inside without hurting the door takes some skill. Maybe only the cylinder was destroyed anyway.

I wonder if the Kwikset SmartKey scandal has been dealt with. I am shocked that there was not withdrawal of ANSI 1 certification.
35245635 (banned)
join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA

35245635 (banned)

said by StillLearn:

I wonder if the Kwikset SmartKey scandal has been dealt with. I am shocked that there was not withdrawal of ANSI 1 certification.

I can't find anything about that online. Any references to it? I have a few of those locks and I'd love to read about this 'scandal'.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

Sending PM

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to Raphion

to Raphion
said by Raphion:

Responses like this just reek with nonsense.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to 35245635

Premium Member

to 35245635
said by 35245635:

I have a few of those locks and I'd love to read about this 'scandal'.

I too have a few of those locks on different houses and now I learn about a "scandal" with them.

35245635 (banned)
North Reading, MA

35245635 (banned)

said by Coma:

said by 35245635:

I have a few of those locks and I'd love to read about this 'scandal'.

I too have a few of those locks on different houses and now I learn about a "scandal" with them.

I can't find anything with a 'scandal' just that they take 10-15 seconds to break into vs. 40-60 seconds with other locks. Anyone who wants in can do so in under 60 seconds with any lock. I don't see any real reason to stop using Smartkey locks.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to 35245635

Premium Member

to 35245635
NM

I see you posted as I was typing the same link.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

1 recommendation

StillLearn to 35245635

Premium Member

to 35245635
said by 35245635:

I can't find anything with a 'scandal' just that they take 10-15 seconds to break into vs. 40-60 seconds with other locks.

I can't take issue with that.
said by 35245635:

Anyone who wants in can do so in under 60 seconds with any lock.

I take issue with that. I expect very few going to pick a modern Medico in 60 seconds. I doubt that most lock pickers could pick a modern bump-resistant ANSI 1 Schlage in 60 seconds.

Of course if you are referring to breaking down the door, that is different. But to gain entrance through a lock quietly is is the issue as I see it -- especially if you can't necessarily tell by looking that the lock had been breached.

ANSI should down-certify the locks so that people are not misled. Kwikset should release cylinders with stronger materials for retrofit.

Incidentally, you and I are part of the "anyone" class.
said by 35245635:

I don't see any real reason to stop using Smartkey locks.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed to 35245635

MVM

to 35245635
»Your home deadbolt/locks are totally ineffective.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to Critsmcgee

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

Any lock can be defeated pretty easily. They train EMT's, firefighters, etc.how to get into any place FAST. It doesn't matter if it's a commercial door/lock or a cheap residential door/lock. The best money can buy is still weak. They are meant to keep the honest man honest and nothing more. In my younger days I was pretty proficient at defeating locks.

So what is the definition of "defeat"? Gas saw?

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
My brother did locksmithing for years as his own business. Picking locks isn't as easy as all the posters here like to think regardless of how many youtube how to videos they've watched. How many locks have you people picked? My guess is zero.

If he couldn't get in after a while he'd ask them if he could drill it. He would replace the cylinder though. If they destroy the lock getting it open, the right thing to do is to replace it. If they replaced it and charged them a bunch to do so, they're not reputable.
35245635 (banned)
North Reading, MA

35245635 (banned) to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

said by Critsmcgee:

So what is the definition of "defeat"? Gas saw?

They have forcible-entry training. Most of the time they can get in with common tools any normal person could get. Nothing special required.

35245635 (banned) to Jon5

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

My brother did locksmithing for years as his own business. Picking locks isn't as easy as all the posters here like to think regardless of how many youtube how to videos they've watched. How many locks have you people picked? My guess is zero.

Took a few training classes locally offered by a locksmith years ago. That locksmith could get into any door lock in under 60 seconds. It takes practice but it's not hard. Making a loaf of bread from scratch isn't really hard either but most people can't do it right. Like most things in life knowledge is power.

People just need to realize a lock isn't anything more then a delay. The better the lock the longer the delay. In the end all locks fail.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to 35245635

Premium Member

to 35245635
I am trained in forciable entry... There are few doors out there I can't get through; but our techniques are fast, not subtle.

We don't pick locks, we knock or pull them out.

Halligan bars, k-tools, rabbit tools and sledge hammers are the tools of the trade. When I'm done, you usually need to replace a lot more then the lock cylinder.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to 35245635

Premium Member

to 35245635
said by 35245635:

Took a few training classes locally offered by a locksmith years ago. That locksmith could get into any door lock in under 60 seconds.

The locks he brought to demonstrate on, right? Yeah I'm sure he could. Sorry, I don't buy it. My brother did it for years. It's not like you see on TV.
said by LazMan:

I am trained in forciable entry...

Pulling the front of a house off with a hook attached to an APC doesn't count.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
Based on your avatar, I'm thinking you are a firefighter.

I am thinking of installing a Knox Box on my grandma's house as she is always getting picked up by the ambulance. Fortunately they have not had to kick in her door but I'm guessing the cost of a Knox box will be cheaper than replacing a door, especially since we are getting her a life alert button.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

You'd have to speak to someone at your EMT station or fire hall to find out if they are able to use a lock box for access.

We do - we have a high security lock system that the property owner installs in a discrete spot, and places a door key in... We then can use our key to access that lock box when needed...

Around here, the EMT's don't do forced entry - if the doors not open when they arrive, either the police or fire make access for them...

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

said by 35245635:

I can't find anything with a 'scandal' just that they take 10-15 seconds to break into vs. 40-60 seconds with other locks.

said by 35245635:

Anyone who wants in can do so in under 60 seconds with any lock.

I take issue with that. I expect very few going to pick a modern Medico in 60 seconds. I doubt that most lock pickers could pick a modern bump-resistant ANSI 1 Schlage in 60 seconds.

Of course if you are referring to breaking down the door, that is different. But to gain entrance through a lock quietly is is the issue as I see it -- especially if you can't necessarily tell by looking that the lock had been breached.

ANSI should down-certify the locks so that people are not misled. Kwikset should release cylinders with stronger materials for retrofit.

Incidentally, you and I are part of the "anyone" class.
said by 35245635:

I don't see any real reason to stop using Smartkey locks.

Since you've obviously got some experience with locks .... your thoughts on Mul-T-Lock cylinders?
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

We do - we have a high security lock system that the property owner installs in a discrete spot, and places a door key in... We then can use our key to access that lock box when needed...

That’s a Knox box or an equivalent thereof, the municipality has a common key assigned to the boxes, which allows authorized key holders access to the Knox Box, which within “should” be a key or keys to allow non-destructive access to the premises as needed.

The alternative is a Simplex lock box, which is what I use, this is a basic mechanical push button 4 digit lockbox, which should an incident at my business be dispatched out, provides the responder with an access code of the box and therefore the keys to the castle.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

It's an Abloy based system we use, but yes, very similar to the Knox or Chubb boxes...

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro to Raphion

Premium Member

to Raphion
Click for full size
Reading and doing are 2 different things, I do lock picking for a hobby and it ain't easy, trust me.

Besides these two devices are much quicker, one with more finesse and one with brute force
35245635 (banned)
North Reading, MA

4 edits

35245635 (banned) to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

Since you've obviously got some experience with locks .... your thoughts on Mul-T-Lock cylinders?

They have tools for those as well. As I said anything can be picked it's just a matter of time and skill. The door jam is the weakest point of a door as well so even if you had a 100% pick proof door they'd just kick it in.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 1Zo3uXAw

»www.metacafe.com/watch/8 ··· n_1_min/

Edit: Here's one where you just tap a Mul-T-Lock key that doesn't work while in the lock until it opens. You can defeat it in around 60 seconds.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· MzF60EE&

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ryPPFCLM

Make note how there are ways to 'pick' a lock and ways to 'defeat' a lock. Almost any lock can be 'defeated' in around a minute. The video's show about 2 minutes to 'pick' and around 70 seconds in one video and 20 seconds in the other to 'defeat' a Mul-T-Lock. A professional looking to get into your place would be doing it much faster. They don't care about going slow to show people how it's done in a video.

Given the 2 methods above which do you think a professional would do?
Expand your moderator at work