spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rbryant

join:2004-06-18
Beaumont, TX

My 2wire dsl modem died whats a good replacement choice?

My 2wire died a few days ago. It was free when I got started with ATT now I need to find a new modem to replace it. I really need a few subjection. I saw the one Att sells but I know I should be able to get a better price than they offer on the ones they sell.

Thanks for any help you can offer

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Same thing happened at my house only the previous 2Wire still had some warranty left. It was replaced with a Netgear 7550, which AT&T currently offers for $100

Even though there are others, no doubt more competitively priced, the Netgear was literally a breeze to set up. It also offers 802.11n (as opposed to 2Wire's b/g), which greatly extended the existing wireless range and signal. Maybe that's why it's on AT&T's shelf?

airmax32

join:2013-04-16
Las Vegas, NV
reply to rbryant
Just get the netgear 7550 as well. At least it has wireless N

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to rbryant
I'd get me a Motorola 3347....it doesn't have N wireless but it's a very robust modem gateway.

JAQUEBAUER

join:2007-09-20
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to rbryant
My 2 wire lasted less than 3 weeks, (installed 4-6-2013-died 4-20-2013) which I used to replace a Westell 2100 that lasted over 10 years-which was the one that Bellsouth used when I signed up for DSL. I picked up a new Westell 6100 on Ebay for $39.00 five years ago to have for a spare and so I placed that in service last night. Of course these old Westells are not wireless, so one needs an external wireless router if you need wireless or have more than 1 wired computer. This posting may be too old to be of help to you but my point was that some money can be saved by picking up old stock that is new/unused. Oh- and 2 wire has a bad reputation for reliable products. I live in the lightning capital of the world-Florida and so I keep spare telecom eqpt. on hand-That's why I had 2 spare DSL Modems on the shelf.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to rbryant
Are you sure it was the modem the died? Quite often it is the power supplies that fail first. Do a search here and you'll find lots of related info if you need it.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to rbryant
Also, with many people moving to U-verse, they are ditching their old modems because they are not compatible. If you have a freecycle list from your area, you might be able to pick one up for free.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
reply to rbryant
I'd Get a Netgear, they have good modems and routers, i have a netgear 7550 from frontier its good modem/router but its a bit outdated.