how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

teebob21

join:2009-12-07
Phoenix, AZ

[AZ] Getting 1 Mbps Down/1Mbps Up on Preferred level of service

My internet has sucked for the last two months after moving to North Phoenix (SR51 & Bell Rd area). I thought it was just my wife's computer since mine was still boxed up.

Any advice? I'd really like to avoid a truck roll if possible, since (with the exception of the high downstream lvl) I am 99.95% certain the problem is not at my house. The modem/router worked fine at the old house.

Details:
• make and model of cable modem:
Motorola SB5100
Software Version: SB5100-2.3.8.0-GA-00-NOSH
Hardware Version: 3
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.4

• make a model of router
Linksys WRT54GL

• cox speed tier
Preferred 25 Mbps

• signal levels from »192.168.100.1 at several intervals during the day, especially as the slowness is occurring
Freq: 843 MHz
DS SNR: 36 dB
Level: +16 dBmV (Mighty high. I think my house might be the first one out of an LE/feeder amp.)

Upstream Freq: 36.1 MHz
Xmit Level: 47 dBmV

• if they have splitters and if the cable modem has been plugged into a line directly from the wall (bypassing all splitters and surge protectors)
4-way splitter located in demarc box

• several speed tests to various locations close to where they reside (if applicable, »test.lvcm.com)

LVCM, Speedtest.net, and Playstation Network all report 950-975 kbps down for all tests, occasionally cracking 1 Mbps.

• has the user tweaked (»/tweaks)
None

• are you connected wired or wireless?
Wired, multiple devices

• have you tested speeds bypassing router?
Yes, same result.

• are other services such as phone or tv affected?
Digital Video + DVR unaffected

Anonguy

@cox.net

Re: [AZ] Getting 1 Mbps Down/1Mbps Up on Preferred level of serv

1. You have a modem older than dirt. It needs replacing.

2. You have a router older than dirt . It needs replacing.

3. Those signals can;t be right. I bet the modem is dying and reading incorrect signals. With a 4-way and +16 the tap levels would have to be 25+ once you add in loss...

Find a channel on your DVR that is in the 700mhz. and look at the signal.
CH 1999 on DVR

teebob21

Phoenix, AZ

True on older than dirt, incorrect on dying. The modem is reporting solid data. I commented on the high DS level when the contractor was here and confirmed it with a meter. DVR stats match.

DVR --
Tuner 1: 591 Mhz, 15 dB
Tuner 2: 519 Mhz, 14 dB (looks like good tilt out of that LE)

RDC: 25.75 Mhz, 42 dbMv

QAM SNRs: 37/36 respectively.

Drop length less than 40 feet. Underground RG6.

Full disclosure: I work at a cable company (not COX). SCTE BPI certification (albeit expired). If I still had my ped key, I'd open it up and let you know what tap value is out there.

EDIT: I don't have a channel map for COX's EIA's. Do you happen to know which digital channels might be in the 700 meg band?

Anonguy

@cox.net

said by teebob21:

True on older than dirt, incorrect on dying. The modem is reporting solid data. I commented on the high DS level when the contractor was here and confirmed it with a meter. DVR stats match.

DVR --
Tuner 1: 591 Mhz, 15 dB
Tuner 2: 519 Mhz, 14 dB (looks like good tilt out of that LE)

RDC: 25.75 Mhz, 42 dbMv

QAM SNRs: 37/36 respectively.

Drop length less than 40 feet. Underground RG6.

Full disclosure: I work at a cable company (not COX). SCTE BPI certification (albeit expired). If I still had my ped key, I'd open it up and let you know what tap value is out there.

EDIT: I don't have a channel map for COX's EIA's. Do you happen to know which digital channels might be in the 700 meg band?

I am not in PHX so no.

Likely HD Qams. 1040 and up probably. But if you have 15 on 591 the signal is probably being read right by the modem. Was it always that high? Was the speed always bad? If the Amp is bad feeding your tap it could be the problem.

The only way to rule out a truck roll would be a New modem.
Pick one up at the Cox store. You have 30 days to return it.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to teebob21

your levels are bad, should be between +10 and -10 close to 0 as possible but also you have a modem that is not support for preferred tier or higher

»ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/···00000000

teebob21

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Anonguy

Thanks for your help. Nice to find civil discourse on the web once in a while.

I'll keep my hopes up for an authorized Cox rep to magically find something overnight in the provisioning system or whatever CMTS stats they can access. I wish I had a step attenuator to knock that downstream down to spec.

Failing that, I'll try a COX-issued modem later this week before I buy a replacement. I'm still open to answers from anyone that actually looks at my account. In the mean time, I've got some MLB13 The Show to play.

EDIT: @M8trix: Thanks for chiming in. The link you attached indicates my modem is supported, yet not recommended. I can understand that. Even with a D2 modem on a 25 Mbps plan, I should still be getting the 12-15 Mbps I was getting at the previous residence. (Offtopic: I wish COX was a little more proactive about notifying customers with legacy equipment. One can dream....)

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to teebob21

Also a couple months correlates to the speed increase.

That old modem may not like the need speeds as well. I have seen upgrades kill modems.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to teebob21

said by teebob21:

I'll keep my hopes up for an authorized Cox rep to magically find something overnight in the provisioning system or whatever CMTS stats they can access. I wish I had a step attenuator to knock that downstream down to spec.

those forward levels are way too hot. As a BPI certified tech, you should already know that changes at the CMTS or provisioning are not going to change that.

you have already correlated the cause....you modem worked fine at your old house, and not at the new

the issue is localized to your new location and you need to have a tech come out and resolve.

teebob21

Phoenix, AZ

I picked up a couple step attenuators at work today, and I'll try padding that downstream down by 9 or 12 db tonight. I also grabbed a Docsis 3 modem, which unfortunately is an SBG 6580 gateway. Ugh.

[philosophical_rant]
In any case, I still reserve hope I can get this fixed without a truck roll/appointment. If Cox can send a network tech, I can tell you exactly where to go to check it out. I don't have the opportunity to work from home, so I'd have to take time off. I don't want to pay $50 for the privilege of negotiating with Tier 1 and T2 phone "support", just to tell a Cox system technician to come out and check forward levels on their feeder. I don't want to fight with them to get the charges waived. Imagine if I was a regular customer: If my drop is hitting the house at +23 or more and that's impairing my service, how is that my fault?
[/philosophical_rant]

The install tech/contractor should have done his job properly, but I shouldn't have let him leave with that hot drop.

If padding the input and/or the new modem don't work, that's probably my next stop. More to come tonight...

Ameth

join:2011-07-20

said by teebob21:

I'd have to take time off. I don't want to pay $50 for the privilege of negotiating with Tier 1 and T2 phone "support", just to tell a Cox system technician to come out and check forward levels on their feeder. I don't want to fight with them to get the charges waived.

With bad levels Tier 1 should be able to get you a truck roll. There are evening and weekend times so working shouldnt be an issue. The fee is not up to the phone rep, its up to the tech who comes out to your house. If the issue is on Cox's side its no charge or you can get the wire protection plan, what ever works best for you.

teebob21

Phoenix, AZ

I should have known better and listened to my OTJ experience. A 12db pad helped. Actually, it worked like a 14...

DS receive, 2 db
US Xmit, 54 db

Now getting from 8-9 Mbps down, 2-3 Mbps up. Not what I'm paying for, but better.

Does anyone know the advertised upload on the Preferred 25 Mbps plan? Thanks!!

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

Your upstream power level is way to high, and could easily knock the modem offline. Your upstream power level needs to be around mid 40's. Plus if your using a D3 modem you should be bonding multiple channel's.

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to teebob21

As lilstone said, And you should know this

That TX of 54 is way too high. You may get good speeds but as soon as the real heat comes your gonna be flapping like a fish out of water.

You can buy a Cisco 3010 for $35.00
»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-DPC3010-C···1c9aa24d

And upstream on Preferred is 5mbps.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to teebob21

My upstream on preferred hits over 10 easily.

teebob21

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Anonguy

said by Anonguy :

That TX of 54 is way too high. You may get good speeds but as soon as the real heat comes your gonna be flapping like a fish out of water.

Understood. Without "real" parts and tools, I'm limited on methods to get my downstream in spec without pushing the upstream past 55. I suppose I could use a 100 foot coil of RG6 to attenuate the hot forward through line loss alone.

Remember, at this point, I'm just a knowledgable customer, not a Cox tech. I can't "fix" it myself, but I can slap band-aids on it.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Comcast

It sounds like you may be off an early tap in the cascade. You have fairly high forward levels, without super low TX power.

I'd say a D3 modem is the more of a preemptive fix, but before that a call and TC is the best bet.

If you want to shoot your MAC I can look from this side. It appears the forward saturation is the problem. The attenuation is only lowering the transmit levels for a "few" inches, once past the attenuator it is right back to the original level. The DS might be past the point overloading the tuner in the modem. I'm pretty sure the SB5101 does not use a digital tuner. Digital tuners sometimes have problems with low levels on the high freq input when overloaded with very high input levels on the lower freqs.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to teebob21

Coils of cable sound like an old us west vdsl tv internet tech.

teebob21

Phoenix, AZ
reply to odog

said by odog:

It sounds like you may be off an early tap in the cascade. You have fairly high forward levels, without super low TX power.

This. There is an LE pedestal in my neighbor's front yard. Pretty sure I am on the first tap.

Thanks everyone for your input (and for letting me b*tch about it). I was telling my story to some coworkers today, who oddly enough were familiar with this thread. They pointed me to some folks who can get in touch with some local Cox representatives. I will also install the D3 gateway tonight for now, and go shopping for a SB6141 + gigabit router. I'll post an update and let you know how it goes.

teebob21

Phoenix, AZ

I was lazy last night; didn't get the D3 modem installed. I'll do it eventually. I did swap the 12 pad for a 9.

Problem solved.
DS RX: +6
US XMit: 50

25 Mbps/5Mbps up on a single EIA channel with a D2 modem. Hells yeah.

»speedof.me/show.php?img=13040601···6670.png

Moral(s) of the story: Specs exist for a reason; if you need something done right, be prepared to do it yourself; and my installing contractor was a moron and should be sent to Remedial Clue-stick classes. We can close the thread. Thank you DSLReports.

(My original install took 7 hours while he swapped DVR after DVR out, all with no video. Internet was working the whole time. Turned out there was a modem trap on the drop. )

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to teebob21

said by teebob21:

This. There is an LE pedestal in my neighbor's front yard. Pretty sure I am on the first tap.

I hate that situation..