uniqs

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

Seasonal Tire Swap - Ottawa

Does anyone know a decent place to get a tire swap done in Ottawa?

Both sets are on their own rims... bought the winter tires from Costco but don't want to deal with their whole first come first serve circus to get them swapped - especially since they don't even do them for free anymore.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Costco swaps for free here. Are you sure? Besides, it'll be FIFO no matter where you go.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

They charge $6/tire out here.

And I don't know any other tire shop that makes you be there an hour before the store opens just to have a chance of having your tires changed sometime that day. I'll gladly pay a few bucks more for the ability to make an appointment.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to corster

Premium Member

to corster
My mum has been using Parker Auto Care for years for her tires and they're pretty fast for the change and you can book an appointment there.

Parker Auto Care
891 Bellevue Avenue
(613) 722-0896

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to corster

Premium Member

to corster
You don't have to be there early. It, like any other shop, depends on how busy they are. It's a coin toss at times.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to corster

Premium Member

to corster
If they are already on rims, why not do it yourself??
Edit....... if you think they may not be balanced any longer that would certainly be a reason to pay a bit at a place to get them done.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Anav:

If they are already on rims, why not do it yourself??
Edit....... if you think they may not be balanced any longer that would certainly be a reason to pay a bit at a place to get them done.

They're balanced - just have no space to do it myself. No driveway, no garage, etc.

The joys of apartment living...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I've known guys in apartments doing engine swaps in the parking lot surely you can change some tires.

Or come to Peterborough and we'll use your car to have a timed Nascar challenge of swapping tires on your car.
mekyle
join:2000-09-23
Beamsville, ON

mekyle to corster

to corster
Have you priced it at your dealership? The local ford dealer down here does it for $20ish, the local tire place is in the $30 range.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to corster

to corster
Active Green and Ross.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to corster

Premium Member

to corster
Just curious---where do you get your car care otherwise?

Oil changes and so forth.

Is there a gas station (service station) that you deal with for minor repairs?

-----

And what about these guys?

Mobile tire changers.

»www.tirechangers.ca/

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

3 edits

corster

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

Just curious---where do you get your car care otherwise?

Oil changes and so forth.

Is there a gas station (service station) that you deal with for minor repairs?

Bought the car (2009 Fusion) from a Ford Dealer in December, been using the dealership for the few minor things that have come up since (I have a Ford ESP on the car so they've all been covered)... I haven't found a good independent mechanic yet, unfortunately.

Part of the problem is that here in Quebec, winter tires are mandatory, which makes tire changes all the more aggrivating because everyone in the province is trying to do them at the same time.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

All the more reason to make it a DIY job.

Buy a nice pair of mechanics gloves, a 24" breaker bar and a 3/4" impact nut....and beer to celebrate your accomplishment. You can use the factory built POS jack, however for the minimal cost of a hydraulic bottle jack the job will go much faster.
Just my 5 cents.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Mobile tire changers.

»www.tirechangers.ca/

Interesting and niche business concept. Probably would only be profitable in larger centres or Quebec though.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by peterboro:

said by PX Eliezer1:

Mobile tire changers.

»www.tirechangers.ca/

Interesting and niche business concept. Probably would only be profitable in larger centres or Quebec though.

you would be surprised how common these guys are in the montreal area,a guy i knew in highschool with generous vacation time takes 2 weeks a year just for his tire change business on the side, one in spring, one in fall. he does it in peoples place of work, driveway, you name it. He even has a machine to mount and balance in his trailer.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to corster

to corster
Hopefully Ontario mandates winter tires and this would be a viable part-time enterprise in the GTA.