Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

2 recommendations

shortckt to plk

Premium Member

to plk

why USPS is going broke post ur tracking

Postal service isn't going broke because of the way they route their deliveries, but because of enormous pension and healthcare costs. Their routing is actually quite efficient for their size, and it should be since they spend $$$$ on planning and the computer systems to figure out all that routing and handling.

They also subcontract some of their bulk handling to 3rd party trucking companies, and work with UPS and Fedex to handle some of the 'last mile' deliveries.

In the mountain communities not too far from me everyone gets a free PO box at one of the post offices so USPS doesn't need to pay an employee to waste gas driving around delivering to each house, and they don't have to deal with delivering in the snow. At those mountain post offices local mail is separated out in the office and delivered directly to the destination instead of being sent down the mountain to the sort facility just to be brought back up in another truck the next day.

I'm not in love with the post office, but for their size and the number of items they handle each day they're rather efficient at it, and they're finally getting with the times as far as offering some electronic services. For example online postage, and I can now sign up for email notification when something hits my PO box here in town to save me a trip to the post office just to check if there's mail.

I don't think UPS or Fedex will deliver an envelope all the way across the country in 2-3 days for only 46 cents.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

1 recommendation

Omega

Premium Member

Thank you for that post, shortckt.

I'm going to guess that no one in this thread has a degree associated with logistics or has any experience in logistics otherwise this topic wouldn't exist.

Yes, it may be inefficient for your letter/package to be routed that way. That doesn't mean the whole system is inefficient. The USPS has determined that routing your package via those sorting centers is the best way to do things. They focus on the big picture, not that someone was inconvenienced cause their package took a roundabout trip.

FedEx and UPS do the same thing.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to shortckt

Premium Member

to shortckt
Exactly. Carrying billions of dollars in pension and healthcare costs will make any organization struggle financially.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Omega

to Omega
said by Omega:

I'm going to guess that no one in this thread has a degree associated with logistics or has any experience in logistics otherwise this topic wouldn't exist.

Wait, are you telling me they don't set aside one semi truck for my single package, that mine is mingled with thousands of other peoples deliveries? eww

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to shortckt

Premium Member

to shortckt
Another thank you for thatpost

dud
@sonic.net

dud

Anon

They're going broke shipping my package too fast.

Pete
@sbcglobal.net

Pete

Anon

YEAH, LOOK AT THIS NONSENSE.....I've got a package going to New Mexico, and it's literally gone back and forth from California to Texas twice already and is still not where it needs to be.....UGH!

May 7, 2013 1:12 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility BELL GARDENS , CA 90201 false
May 5, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility DALLAS , TX 75398 false
May 5, 2013 11:41 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility DALLAS , TX 75398 false
May 2, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility BELL GARDENS , CA 90201 false
May 2, 2013 4:24 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility BELL GARDENS , CA 90201 false
May 2, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility BELL GARDENS , CA 90201 false
May 1, 2013 3:13 pm Processed through USPS Sort Facility BELL GARDENS , CA 90201 false
April 30, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility DALLAS , TX 75398 false
April 30, 2013 12:30 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility DALLAS , TX 75398 false
April 28, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility BELL GARDENS , CA 90201 false
April 28, 2013 Electronic Shipping Info Received false
April 28, 2013 12:22 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility BELL GARDENS , CA 90201 false
April 27, 2013 Depart USPS Sort Facility SAN BERNARDINO , CA 92403 false
April 27, 2013 6:50 pm Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility SAN BERNARDINO , CA 92403 false
April 27, 2013 6:28 pm Dispatched to Sort Facility FONTANA , CA 92336 false
April 27, 2013 11:50 am Acceptance FONTANA , CA 92336 false

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Omega

MVM

to Omega
said by Omega:

Yes, it may be inefficient for your letter/package to be routed that way. That doesn't mean the whole system is inefficient. The USPS has determined that routing your package via those sorting centers is the best way to do things. They focus on the big picture, not that someone was inconvenienced cause their package took a roundabout trip.

Everyone wants THEIR package to have special handling and the most direct routing between point "a" and point "b". Sometimes I think that USPS, Fedex, UPS, etc would do better to NOT display such detailed routing information -- they just should indicate "Package is en route and on schedule" or "Package is en route, encountered a delay, and is scheduled for delivery on (fill-in-the-date-here)".

If you want special, direct routing, contract with Fedex, for example and their "Custom Critical" service. After one does that, they'll appreciate how UPS Ground or USPS delivers their shipment on time for the low rate they charge !!