dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Tristan
join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON

Tristan

Re: Is on-board RealTek audio really that bad?

And most definitely, Asus sound drivers are crap. Almost as bad as their wireless NIC drivers.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

said by Tristan:

And most definitely, Asus sound drivers are crap. Almost as bad as their wireless NIC drivers.

I have to agree there and throw in a tip. I use the drivers available at Windows Update for the Xonar cards (I have 2 of them in different machines). Oddly enough, they work a whole lot better than the driver set on the ASUS website.
Tristan
join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON

Tristan

said by Cthen:

said by Tristan:

I have to agree there and throw in a tip. I use the drivers available at Windows Update for the Xonar cards (I have 2 of them in different machines). Oddly enough, they work a whole lot better than the driver set on the ASUS website.

It's funny you should say that. I decided to go that way with my son's system. Rather than install the stupid Asus specific drivers and control panel interface, I just went with what Windows provided. For his needs, it was good.

It's too bad this card isn't compatible with the kXaudio driver project. I used to use that with my SB Live card, and it worked much better than Creative's own crappy high-latency drivers. Creative didn't even want to support ASIO on this card, so it was either use kXaudio, or ASIO4ALL which wasn't very good for providing true low latency.