Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Any fans of Divinity, or turn based RPGs? Kickstarter

This one has a game that's almost finished, though.

The guys broke off from publishers on their own and have been working on Divinity Original Sin since 2010... the game is almost done, but they decided to launch kickstarter to hire extra people to expand the game a lot more.

Here's the quick version of it:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=D69mFIE6 ··· mFIE6PGw

and the KS page
»www.kickstarter.com/projects/lar ··· inal-sin

RockPaperShotgun also has a good summary up after playing it
»www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03 ··· nal-sin/

Game's estimated for Nov 2013. It can be played solo or co-op. There are two characters... but unlike other RPGs, they made the interaction a bit more interesting here... both characters will interact with others, and themselves. If you're playing solo, you get to talk with yourself! If you're playing co-op, both people will get to influence the conversations, which is a great new addition. Worst thing about playing RPGs with story is that only one person was in charge of that up to to know and it made online/co-op less interesting in these situations...

Another great bit is that they will be shipping out the game with their game-editor... so there will be room for a lot of extra content made by community.

They're also doing their best to keep the requirements as low as possible so people can play it on as many computers/laptops as possible. Co-op with my wife should be great for this.

The kickstarter isn't breaking any crazy records like some of the other ones... but they're 3/4 there with 22 days to go, and only need $400k total to do what they want.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
I loved Divinity II. Will have to check it out.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
From reading the reviews of those that got to play it so far, and considering what they have already implemented and want to implement... if you loved their previous games, then you will really love this one.

And I've usually stuck to the basic digital tiers on KS so far... but this game has me really interested with the two characters/players interaction and the game editor.
Plus their $65 digital tier is freakishly good. 2 Original Sin copies, and 1 copy of Divinity - Dragon Commander (that should be released in the summer and looks super fun.)

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
You're right, I just got the Commander's pledge at $65! I'm going to have to go back and play Divinity II again.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to ekster
They are at $383k with 17 days to go. If anyone hasn't gotten on-board with this one, do it!

The $65 tier gives Dragon Commander away for free, which looks like a pretty cool game coming out this summer.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
The game's guaranteed to be funded (and made... it's already almost finished... they're just improving everything they can now!) and it should be out by the end of the year.

But the stretch goals here are pretty awesome and would make the game even more amazing if it reaches $1mil.

Anyone that loves RPGs and wants to play solo or co-op should get in on this. These guys have done a great job with their previous games, and those that got to play-test the Alpha so far can't help but mention how it's a 100 times better and more fleshed out (and they just got to play a small part so far.).

Plus the digital game on it's own is only $25... but the $65 is really worth it... as you get two copies of Original Sin and 1 copy of Dragon Commander.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
BTW we are FUNDED with $414k/$400k with still 16 days to go.

If people were holding out to guarantee the game comes out, I highly recommend you jump on it now!
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
reply to ekster
Ok I jumped in and pledged $65. Thanks for making me aware of this, can't wait!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
$427k/400k now.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
Ohh shit! Did I type 13000 instead of 65?!!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
congrats!!! you are now an in-game NPC! Hope it's worth it.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
430k+ now. That's an awesome increase since two days ago. The shoutout on their Facebook from Obsidian probably helped a lot.

It's nice to see all these studios actually supporting each other and constantly giving a free publicity to each other on Kickstarter.

RavenX11R6

join:2013-03-02
Mechanicsburg, PA
I'm gonna be a last minute supporter... I went all in for torment so I have to see if I can scrounge up a couple bucks

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
They should have Paypal open after kickstarter ends, so you can always get it then as well.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to ekster
Also, since you guys jumped on the $65 tier (and I'm assuming digital), they had a live stream Q&A with gameplay for Dragon Commander...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-ddgc1 ··· ddgc18mM

It's an hour long though.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Just broke $500k.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Almost at $550k, one week to go.

I watched most of the Commander video, looks like an interesting Civ 5 / RTS mashup.
--

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Already pledged. We need more new blood!

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
reply to Krisnatharok
As of yesterday, their paypal was at about 9.5k... so it's closer, if not already above, 560k now.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to ekster
I loved Divinity II but this is turned based?

Arf.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to ekster
Long overview of both Original Sin and Dragon Commander:

»www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id= ··· ?id=8925

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
They broke $600k! I dusted off Divinity II last night to prepare for this. Apparently I was given the Developers' Edition free since I had vanilla DivII.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
They said that they just spent practically all weekend answering questions, making videos, showing gameplay, etc.

Plus RPG Watch and RPG Codex are having a pissing match and having a fundraiser. RPG Watch wants to have a tower after them, RPG Codex wants to keep them out.
»www.rpgwatch.com/#21826
»www.rpgcodex.net/index.php#8923

And Reddit AMA tomorrow, plus an article by TB and Angry Joe should give a pretty huge boost is the last couple days. I'm hoping they can at least try and reach 800k.

They're at 603k now, plus paypal was at 14k as of yesterday... so a nice 617k (if not more) so far.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

2 edits
And they have now passed the 650k, including paypal. Personality traits and talents are in.

They also added a new stretchgoal at 700k that sounds awesome. Kirill (their musician/composer) will get a whole orchestra to create the music for the game. That would definitely be an awesome experience. He has been very involved with the KS and constantly adding music to the updates, and he's really good at it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Awww nice!

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
And their AMA on Reddit starts now...

»www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ··· ivinity/

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
said by ekster:

And their AMA on Reddit starts now...

»www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ··· ivinity/

I thought this quote by Swen at Larian was promising:

I thought the gaming world had become a more cynical place but then I figured out that was because of all my dealings with the industry side. I decided for myself I'm not going to walk in that trap again. There's too many people in the games industry that don't belong there because they don't care about a) games, b) the people playing games.

--
/)_/)
( . . )
C(")(")

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Larian as a whole has been very promising during their KS campaign in general. While I was familiar with Divinity, I didn't know much about Larian studio...

They were very active (way more active than I ever saw anyone) on KS. These guys are really working for it. I'd see them answering questions in the comments section and making updates on weekend, constantly present in evenings our time.. which must be something like 2-3 am there.

Plus their whole team was constantly active. I'm still amazed at how active their composer and musician is. Usually these guys are just someone a company hires to make some cheap repetitive music, but this guy has been constantly creating music for their updates and events.

I really wish more studios were like them.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
We're at $865k on the KS alone with 6 hours to go!

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
$916k with Paypal... so only $85k to get the final stretch goal.

It's going to be very close, but considering the momentum they've had in the last couple of days, it's still a possibility.