IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

1 Gbps is overkill

1 Gbps is overkill for residential use. Most residences can function with a 50/10 connection.

The only time you would need 1 Gbps and above is for a data center or a server (which is prohibited in residential TOS).

My computers function fine on the Blast 50/10 and I have at least 5 devices connected to the Internet at any given time (DirecTV Cinema Connectiom Kit, Wii U, iPad/iPad mini, iPhone, Mac Mini, 2 MacBook Pros) although not all devices are online all at once.

The burglar alarm just uses a plain old Verizon landline. Some burglar alarms connect via Broadband. I think for an alarm system, a landline is more reliable as it does not rely on premises power.

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Asus RT-AC87

N10Cities

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

1 Gbps is overkill for residential use. Most residences can function with a 50/10 connection.

The only time you would need 1 Gbps and above is for a data center or a server (which is prohibited in residential TOS).

My computers function fine on the Blast 50/10 and I have at least 5 devices connected to the Internet at any given time (DirecTV Cinema Connectiom Kit, Wii U, iPad/iPad mini, iPhone, Mac Mini, 2 MacBook Pros) although not all devices are online all at once.

The burglar alarm just uses a plain old Verizon landline. Some burglar alarms connect via Broadband. I think for an alarm system, a landline is more reliable as it does not rely on premises power.

My horse works just fine for getting me place to place...what do I need that new fangled auty-mobile for? Way overkill....

My icebox that the iceman comes by every other day to fill with ice works just fine keeping my food cold. Don't need that new-fangled electricity to run stuff...way overkill....

Wonder how many people have said stuff like that in the past when new technology came out to make our lives easier?

moddestmike
join:2009-01-26
Houston, TX

2 recommendations

moddestmike to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Why is this still a talking point. First off, you cant determine what someone else NEEDS. Secondly, who's to determine what you can and cannot have within your home. I wouldn't call my home setup a data center but is certainly NOT just a server.

Some of us absolutely need and will take full advantage of a REASONABLY priced 1Gbs connection. I currently have 8 VM's folding, the larger the pipe the more VM's I'd spin up. This is just one of the MANY ways I'd take advantage of fiber access.

I live in the 4th largest city of the USA (downtown might I add) and I can't get anything other than Comcast or U-Verse. No fiber...anywhere..in the entire footprint of the 4TH LARGEST CITY IN THE UNITED STATES...its retarded.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What you are using is not the typical residential use of an Internet connection. And like I said yesterday about the grandma getting kicked off Comcast for too many calls, is not typical of residential use.

If someone needs a heavy dury connection for servers and data centers, then they should purchase a business grade connection.

As for faster speeds, DOCSIS 3.1 looks to be promising.

The days of companies and power users paying more for telecommunications is nothing new. Call centers have to pay the phone company more than a residential user and its been this way since the phone was invented.

I use about 30 to 50 GB per month.

To sum it up, it boils down to the contract that the user has with their ISP, if it says normal residential use then you can't use it for a data center or server although most (if not all ISPs) will gladly sell you a business grade connection with no caps and more open ports.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

silbaco to moddestmike

Premium Member

to moddestmike
Even Google Fiber won't let you host servers unless it is for a game or something. If you can't host servers, I really don't see how anyone could even come close to using Gigabit pipes. They don't want you to actually use the pipes they are providing, because providing gigabit pipes for $70 per month and allowing them to use it isn't economical.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9

Downloading movies at 1Gbps would be soooo nice... all the computers in my home have gigabit ethernet ports, my router does, my switches do, and even my Docsis3 Modem has a gigabit ethernet port. Why should my Internet connection be the bottleneck? Because they don't offer it? Waiting for a file transfer should be a thing of the past.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I think you would be hard pressed to find a server capable of delivering 100mbps, much less 1gbps.
silbaco

silbaco to coma9

Premium Member

to coma9
Double post.
coma9
United State

coma9 to silbaco

to silbaco
Torrent files will upload as fast as the seeders have. I'm not suggesting illegal files, but there are penty of legit and legal files for the taking at gigabit speeds to those capable of it.
I still wouldn't mind paying $120-160 a month for a gigabit connection. Smooth sailing everywhere I go.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

buzz_4_20 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
As was 7mbps DSL when it first came out.

Cloud Storage sounds much better when I've got a gig pipe to it.

Steam Game install time?

doing an ONLINE backup and having it complete before the data is out of date?

Many homes/people get buy with 10mbps just fine, but some people want to do more, plus how will you know what to do with it when you can't get it?

Build it and they will come.
coma9
United State

coma9

said by buzz_4_20:

Build it and they will come.

+1. I'd be willing to take my game up a notch. I feel that if everyone already had a 1gbps connection, imagine the online gaming experience. No more bitching about lag! hahaha
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to silbaco

to silbaco

symmetrical 1 Gbps for residential is just right

How exactly is it not economical for a remote backup to transfer 50GB in 8 minutes once a week @ 1Gbps, vs. completing the same transfer over the whole day (or even multiple days), still once a week?

If anything, not all backup software is dumb, and transferring 50GB at night at 1Gbps will probably be cheaper for the ISP (on a large scale) than transferring the same 50GB during the day time and the peak times (again, on a large scale; think hundreds or thousands of users).

It's complete bullshit that people don't need 1Gbps residentially, or that it's overly expensive traffic-wise.

You don't have to be running servers for uploading pictures to Google+ or facebook. I don't get how 10Mbps is better than 1Gbps, if the price to deliver 1Gbps to a non-business is obviously very far from astronomical, and without price gouging and the lawsuits from the incumbents, 1Gbps can be had for 100$/mo or even less.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Because more likely than not, that backup is going to be done during primetime. That is after all why prime time exists, because it is the most convenient time to do things. With higher speeds also comes higher usage.

You really seem to think it is cheap to offer gigabit internet. It isn't. Especially if you let people use it. Google Fiber is an exception to the rule, not the rule. And they are almost certainly not going to turn a profit on the service.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

said by silbaco:

Because more likely than not, that backup is going to be done during primetime. That is after all why prime time exists, because it is the most convenient time to do things. With higher speeds also comes higher usage.

Why on earth would you be doing backup during the primetime? You like your computer to be slow when you're actually on it, using it?
said by silbaco:

You really seem to think it is cheap to offer gigabit internet. It isn't. Especially if you let people use it. Google Fiber is an exception to the rule, not the rule. And they are almost certainly not going to turn a profit on the service.

Yeah, right, all those companies that offer 100/100 under 100$, and 1000/1000 at between 100$ and 300$, they all are exceptions, and Gigabit internet isn't cheap.

Whom are you kidding? They aren't offering 1000/1000 at a loss; even Google Fibre at most eats out the loss only of those households that haven't subscribed to the service yet.

Dane of Sonic.net mentioned that bandwidth consumption and internet speed aren't all that related at all. If I had a 1Gbps pipe, which I absolutely do need, my overall traffic consumption won't be all that much higher than with the crappy 20/2 (or whatever) that I have.

I had 100/100 back in my office at the university. It didn't change my total consumption all that much from the 20/2 (or whatever) that I have at home, or 1000/1000 at work.

Heard of Linode? They're offering unmetered 1000Mbps downstream to everyone, and they're doing just fine.
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000 to N10Cities

Premium Member

to N10Cities

Re: 1 Gbps is overkill

Great comment.
Core0000

Core0000 to coma9

Premium Member

to coma9
True! At least it would be manageable, as opposed to the crap that happens now.
Expand your moderator at work

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I do have the option of 105/20. When I first got online in 1997, all we could afford at the time was WebTV. I finally bought a computer in 1999 and it was an iMac 333 MHz. My Internet connection was (in 2001) 1.5M/128k, now my MacBook Pro is 2.3 Ghz and my Internet is 50/10 so Internet connections have kept up with technological advances. And when I was young, everyone had one computer (like my mother's generation had the one phone on the kitchen wall) and ISP TOS allowed one computer. Now people have multiple computers.

The real issue with broadband is the digital divide where many people are stuck on dial-up as they live in areas that Cable/Telco won't wire for broadband. My attitude is basically be glad with what you have as many people don't have. I live in an urban area and we have DSL and Cable, but if you go into the rural areas of western Mass, they are stuck at 56K. So my thinking is we should get basic broadband to unserved areas that are still on 56k than bringing Gigabyte connections to areas that have 1 or 2 usable broadband connections. I grew up in Iowa (in the Cedar Rapids metro area) but I am well aware of issues facing rural areas, such as long response from emergency services or lack of infrastructure. I went to summer camp in Monticello (IA) and I did not like the water as it came from a well (I am used to and prefer city water). My late uncle lived in rural Maine back in the early '80s and had the choice of a $10,000 backyard satellite dish or a $10,000 to the cableco for a plant extension. Only if he could see 30 years into the future he should have taken the cableco option as they would have had HSI whereas he took the dish and those are now obsolete as they now have the small directv dishes today.
Expand your moderator at work

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to N10Cities

MVM

to N10Cities

Purely bad hyperbolic analogy. Horse ... ice box ... these went the way of dial-up Internet. Having 1 Gbps Internet is like having a Formula One racer for daily driving needs, when a Ford Taurus or Smart Car will "get 'er done".

Evo
@zaq.ne.jp

Evo

Anon

It will do for now. But will it in the future? If we build the infrastructure we pave way for faster development. Why should we bother developing anything that actually needs a 1Gbps connection if no one can use it?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Evo :

It will do for now. But will it in the future? If we build the infrastructure we pave way for faster development. Why should we bother developing anything that actually needs a 1Gbps connection if no one can use it?

Using an automotive analogy, Ford's Model T cost $850 in 1909, but only $260 in the 1920s. Increasing production volume brought the price down.

Perhaps as more experience is gained with deploying fiber, the installation price will drop such that ROI can realistically be met at $70 for 1 Gbps. But even then, I would take Sonic.net 100/100 fiber at $39.95 over their $70 Gig Internet.
Winterman
join:2009-10-29
Wasilla, AK

Winterman to N10Cities

to N10Cities
Bad comparison. More like, I want a car that goes 500mph, a walk-in freezer.

At 50/10 you can have 25 HD streams, at 1 GB you can have 200.

Bigger is not necessarily better. How about quicker? Cheaper?

Mikey
@adp.com

Mikey to NormanS

Anon

to NormanS
Come on. You have no imagination if you think 1Gbps is like a formula 1 race car. Let's do a very quick imagining of all the reasons you'd like to have 1Gbps speeds on your local LAN. And there are lots of good reasons for a small office and/or home network to have this. Now just think about being able to share those same services with your friend who lives across town, or a family member who lives in France. Not to mention all the business ideas that we haven't yet thought about that could be offered over the Internet, but only with reliable high-speed throughput. Or just think of all the opportunities to create supercomputer like capacity out of all the idle cycles of computers with this extra bandwidth that could be used for research purposes. Or perhaps in the future you could even rent out the spare cycles on your machines to businesses that needed temporary access to supercomputer power but didn't have the capital or space necessary to build one. Come on people just use your imagination a little bit.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Your point?

Let's see, i'm given the choice between a service of 70 bucks a month for a gigabit connection that guarantees the internet connection on my end will not be the bottleneck for the foreseeable future. Or a slower connection at the same price or higher.

I wonder what i should pick...

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mikey

MVM

to Mikey
said by Mikey :

Come on. You have no imagination if you think 1Gbps is like a formula 1 race car.

Okay, but you lost me there. The original simile compares horse and buggy with Gig; both that and mine were very imaginative. But the point is, I am not about to spend $70 on Internet when I can get serviceable speed for less than that. There is need, want, and afford. I need protein. I want Chateaubriand. But I can only afford chicken.
michael2l
join:2013-04-05
Atlanta, GA

michael2l

Same Mikey as above replying here.

My objection to the F1 reference, is the F1 car is extremely expensive and exotic in terms of what goes into it, and it's highly tuned to meet the needs of very specific race situations.

My counter-argument is that what goes into 1Gbps is very pedestrian. None of it represents cutting-edge tech. And the use-cases for your everyday person are very easy to imagine. But the telcos and cable companies, however, have a vested interest in limiting the supply of bandwidth, which allows them to charge higher prices. So they get to charge $70 for 50Mbs, rather than for 1Gbs as Google and others are doing.

I understand for the end-user they have to make choices about whether they want to pay $70 for 50Mbs versus $15 for 6Mbs, and those sort of choices are good to have available to consumer. My concern is with the artificial restriction of the overall supply of bandwidth by companies who have either a monopoly or duopoly on providing these services. In cases like this, the government needs to play a more active role to encourage development.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

That is the problem with car analogies. I usually avoid them; but the contrast between horse and car is no less ridiculous than the F1 reference.
coma9
United State

coma9 to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Purely bad hyperbolic analogy. Horse ... ice box ... these went the way of dial-up Internet. Having 1 Gbps Internet is like having a Formula One racer for daily driving needs, when a Ford Taurus or Smart Car will "get 'er done".

Why not a formula one? Everything could be done way faster... except hooked up to a trailer, so I can haul everything at super fast speeds.
klui
join:2001-11-08
Castro Valley, CA

klui to NormanS

to NormanS
F1 is quite exotic and if you were to associate it to networking it would be more along the lines of 40 Gbps, if not 100 Gbps in today's terms. After all everything on an F1 is custom built. Gigabit interfaces are now standard on commodity hardware. Heck you can get a good router with gigabit interfaces for $100. »www.ubnt.com/edgemax