All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

Is it possible?

Is it possible to drop the motorola hd setop box and just rent a cable card? that would be so much better with hdhomerun because this way I am limited to only 1 device which is living room tv , this way I could watch it in any room I wanted (using ps3 or anything).

Thank you for any info

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Yes, you can do that
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
I have an HD Home Run and use three computers and two XBOX 360's to watch TV. For me, the XBOX 360's use one of the computers to provide the TV service - they are extenders. I think the latest release of the HD Home Run software lets some devices directly watch TV - maybe PS3s. But I have not tried that.

If you are not using the MR DVR, you should not see any change. We use the multi room DVR so I still have Motorola boxes on three TVs. This may change in the future. I am contemplating getting three XBOX 360s to support the TVs.
patt2k

patt2k

wow that is great! one question what do you use to watch it via pc? is it windows media center? because I have Windows 8 and I know microsoft was giving cd keys for windows 8 for free but I just wanna make sure , I hope it's not only windows media center. Thanks!
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

Yes, I just use Windows Media Center. I know that there is a concern around decryption on other platforms, but I do not know the details. For my wife and kids, Windows Media Center is good enough. All of my computers are on Windows 8.
patt2k

patt2k

which one would you suggest? what I will want to do is view live tv on 1 desktop and 1 laptop and a ps3 if I figure out how to because I know it's possible , not sure which box to buy

this (59.99$) with prime »www.amazon.com/SiliconDu ··· dhomerun

or this one

139.99$

»www.amazon.com/SiliconDu ··· dhomerun

Thanks again!
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7

said by patt2k:

which one would you suggest? what I will want to do is view live tv on 1 desktop and 1 laptop and a ps3 if I figure out how to because I know it's possible , not sure which box to buy

or this one

139.99$

Thanks again!

The first one only lets you watch channels from 2-49.

The second when paired with a CableCard lets you watch any channel you paid for so long as you use something that is supported like Windows Media Center.
patt2k

patt2k

said by zippoboy7:

said by patt2k:

or this one

139.99$

Thanks again!

The second when paired with a CableCard lets you watch any channel you paid for so long as you use something that is supported like Windows Media Center.

Perfect! thanks man apperciate it
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45 to patt2k

to patt2k
You can also do it with a Ceton InfiniTV tuner card. I know someone who has BOTH a Ceton card and the SilconDust HD HomeRun with a total of SEVEN tuners and uses used Xbox 360s as remote access devices.

So yes, you can be 100% STB free and just use CableCard enabled devices.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to zippoboy7

to zippoboy7
said by zippoboy7:

said by patt2k:

or this one

139.99$

Thanks again!

--- but the second does not support video on demand.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

Neither one will. You need an STB or DVR from Verizon to get VOD today. We use NetFlix for VOD and so far I have hear no complaints from my wife or kids.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by OwlSaver:

Neither one will. You need an STB or DVR from Verizon to get VOD today. We use NetFlix for VOD and so far I have hear no complaints from my wife or kids.

Check the wording of the response I was replying to. There was no need to point out that the first option did not include VOD because it says "The first one only lets you watch channels from 2-49."
Regarding VOD, it is your perspective -- others don't necessarily share it. IMHO VOD can't really be compared with Netflix (and I use both by the way). Current VOD TV replays are not a part of Netflix; Netflix has movies not offered on premium VOD and includes old TV shows. To me, they are complimentary and rarely overlapping services.
patt2k

patt2k

I honestly don't care about VOD because I don't watch much TV but the reason I want this is to have it on multiple devices , like one of my laptops that is used for movies etc. , my home pc or ps3.

I mostly care about soccer games, and sometimes something else , and for VOD I only have Showtime that is free for lifetime but I can watch showtime online , so I am okay without vod on hdhomerun .
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to zippoboy7

to zippoboy7
said by zippoboy7:

]

You forgot channels 460-549 as well. local subschannels plus the HD feeds are part of limited basic
patt2k

patt2k

silicondust prices change so much... how is this one guys ? »www.amazon.com/Hauppauge ··· +homerun
it was 139.99 now it's 159.99 I hope by the time I need (end of month) price will go down.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by patt2k:

silicondust prices change so much... how is this one guys ? »www.amazon.com/Hauppauge ··· +homerun
it was 139.99 now it's 159.99 I hope by the time I need (end of month) price will go down.

This? Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Dual Tuner Cable Card TV Tuner is 99.99 for me right now.

It's not that silicondust prices change so much. It's Amazon prices that do, based on many factors. A couple of weeks ago I found a great price on a large coffee urn. I got authorization to purchase and when I went back the next morning, price was bumped $15.
patt2k

patt2k

Newegg had same prices such a bummer! the reason I wanted to buy from Amazon because of my free gift cards I will get I hope it changes by end of month.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to dmine45

to dmine45
said by dmine45:

You can also do it with a Ceton InfiniTV tuner card. I know someone who has BOTH a Ceton card and the SilconDust HD HomeRun with a total of SEVEN tuners and uses used Xbox 360s as remote access devices.

I have almost that exact setup. I'm using an InfiniTV 4 and a HDHomeRun Prime for a total of 7 tuners too. Only difference is I only have 2 Xbox 360s and 3 MediaSmart extenders for all 5 TVs. The system works great with a powerful PC, enough storage, and a strong network. With all those tuners this TV heavy family can each have all their shows recorded simultaneously without tuner conflicts popping up.

To the OP:
Here's the page on Newegg that shows all of the available CableCARD tuners that are currently on the market:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· hInDesc=

This one is exclusive to Best Buy and can't be bought elsewhere:
»www.bestbuy.com/site/HAU ··· DCR-3250 &cp=1&lp=1

You can shop around for the best price or wait until a promo or a deal comes up.
patt2k

patt2k

I don't understand the part about tuners.

Does that mean I can run on multiple devices at same time? what is the benefit of 7 tuners?.

I want to (not at all times) run 1 live TV on pc , or ps3 and a laptop (not at all times).

Thanks!

Zero5
Collegeville, PA

Zero5

Tuners allow for either multiple recordings at the same time or multiple devices at the same time. The majority of DVRs have 2 tuners - Verizon's included.

The amount of tuners you need depend on how many devices you'll be watching TV on at the same time and how many recordings will be active at the same time.
patt2k

patt2k

wow sillicondust (hdhomerun) is now at 177$ why are these prices changing so much?? I will be moving in a week so I will order the box in about 3-4 days.. now I don't know anymore which one to get..

can anyone suggest me ? something in 140$ range?

will this work with fios cable cards? Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Dual Tuner Cable Card TV Tuner
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

said by patt2k:

wow sillicondust (hdhomerun) is now at 177$ why are these prices changing so much?? I will be moving in a week so I will order the box in about 3-4 days.. now I don't know anymore which one to get..

will this work with fios cable cards? Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Dual Tuner Cable Card TV Tuner

Anything labeled "CableCARD" will work with FiOS. So yes, the Hauppauge will work.

Zero5
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to patt2k

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

The Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-3250 is currently $150 on sale from Best Buy and it has 3 tuners. The Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 is usually the cheapest around $100 since it has 2 tuners.

There must have been a sale earlier on the HDHomeRun Prime and now that the sale is over the price is back up around its usual.
patt2k

patt2k

I don't have much more left to buy and I need to learn as much as I can.

2 Tuners is fine with me question is Hauppauge tuner let's me for example : wirelessly watch live TV via windows media center like silicondust does? this is what matters to me a lot.

As I will want to watch on my PC,PS3 and laptop not always at same time though.

PC and PS3 will be wired at all times but this is for my mom her laptop has 5ghz bands and my router has a dual band 2.4 ghz and 5ghz.

Thanks guys

Zero5
Collegeville, PA

Zero5

Based on the devices and how it sounds like you want to use your PC, laptop, and PS3 the HDHomeRun Prime would be the only tuner that gives you the kind of flexibility you're looking for.

The HDHomeRun Prime is currently the only CableCARD tuner that can run standalone and support DLNA and DTCP-IP for streaming to other devices like the PS3 without requiring a Media Center PC. Your PC and laptop can use Media Center to view and record TV programs too as the tuners with the HDHomeRun Prime are dynamically shared so any device can use the tuners as they request them.
patt2k

patt2k

thanks Zero got all the answers I needed
patt2k

patt2k

I got so lucky yesterday price dropped to 149$ I quickly chatted them and they gave me price difference refund I got refund of 29$

getting silicondust today , while I am moving on 27th the tech on 27th will have the cable card so I will have a lot of work to do overall in the house.

Thanks guys