uniqs
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to ShadowMeph

to ShadowMeph

Re: Why did my Bill jusmp up 6 dollars?

Telus has caught on to that.

I think you have to sign up with 3 years or you pay rental fees on your PVR/Cable boxes. Same if you want the free goodies.

The cost of only signing up short term is pretty stiff when you include the fees to rent the hardware.

Business wise shaw seemed to make the right move last year. They were trying to compete against telus' intro deals and were losing money. They realized no one profited from it and basically gave it up. Now the intro offers are few and far between.

I agree with the other posters. Both providers are fairly steep. The tiebreak for me is:

1) Telus doesn't have a best of HD package. So shaw works out a little cheaper

2) I can actually get shaw's faster internet speeds

3) No Contracts.

Downside's of shaw:

You have to buy the hardware outright. Once you have the hardware it makes it harder to leave shaw.

I'm not really loyal to one or the other. I already have a gameplan if Shaw goes through with the bump up program (for internet) or keep raising my internet fees. I'll split my services. I'll keep TV with them, but move my internet to teksavvy or telus (whichever has the bigger/unlimited cap.. or doesn't enforce a cap).

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShadowMeph

to ShadowMeph
I ended up going to the biz side and US Netflix while ago. Cable prices are getting ridiculous. Unless someday CRTC enforces them to allow customers to be able to buy individual channels instead of the packs. Even then, I enjoy my US Netflix a lot more than Cable and I spend a lot more time sitting in my chair looking for a show to come on.
ShadowMeph
join:2005-10-09
Abbotsford, BC

ShadowMeph

Wow and again I look at muy bill and it is up another 1 dollor, I know that it isn't allot of money but I am not sure why it keeps increasing, is it the old boiling the frog trick when you put a frog in pot of water and then turn on the heat and the frog slowly boils becasue of how it adjusts to the slow increase of heat?
I am really not liking these increases.
I like Shaw, well except for there POS modem rotor but if this keeps up I just might be forced to change over to some other company

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012

Anon

switch to telus, you don't need to pay more. they have pretty good deals on right now.

»www.telus.com/content/gr ··· t-deals/

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to ShadowMeph

Premium Member

to ShadowMeph
If your only complaint is you don't like the combo router, get it bridged, and use your own router?
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to bucko2012

to bucko2012
said by bucko2012 :

switch to telus, you don't need to pay more. they have pretty good deals on right now.

»www.telus.com/content/gr ··· t-deals/

I have to say that was not a very helpful post. You basically linked to a telus page titled "Great Deals".... lol.

It doesn't counteract any of the arguments of the thread:

1) Telus intro rates are great but you have to lock in for 3 years to get the promo item, and to get your hardware rental for free. You have no price protection after that.

2) Telus only offers channels in small bundles. The HD channels are scattered through all the bundles. If you're an HD enthusiast it becomes much more expensive then shaw because of how many bundles you need to subscribe too. They don't offer a "Best of HD" package anymore, thus can't compete with shaw on HD only type basis.

3) Telus' top speeds are only available it some areas.

Just because Telus has a page that is title great deals doesn't make them great. You really have too look past the 6 month intro deal and see what they'll have you paying the other 30 months of your contract.

Buckaroo2014
@shawcable.net

Buckaroo2014

Anon

FYI zod Bucko2012 is a telus employee previously posting from telus.com and intentions are very clear
ShadowMeph
Abbotsford, BC

ShadowMeph to kevinds

to kevinds

Re: Why did my Bill jump up 6 dollars?

said by kevinds:

If your only complaint is you don't like the combo router, get it bridged, and use your own router?

well I really don't like the idea of having to sit on the phone and wait for them to " bridge " the thing. the other thing is I still have my old bought and paid for modem that I wanted to hook up so that I can directly connect my older Aios media player to but it seems that if I want to do this I also have to call them and sit on the phone just to do this.
Like I did mention though I do like shaw when everything is running good which as os since I upgraded and had to buy a the cisco router I have been having connection problems not allot but some which I had to disconnect everything then reconnect or sometimes just reboot the router .
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by ShadowMeph:

said by kevinds:

well I really don't like the idea of having to sit on the phone and wait for them to " bridge " the thing. the other thing is I still have my old bought and paid for modem that I wanted to hook up so that I can directly connect my older Aios media player to but it seems that if I want to do this I also have to call them and sit on the phone just to do this.
Like I did mention though I do like shaw when everything is running good which as os since I upgraded and had to buy a the cisco router I have been having connection problems not allot but some which I had to disconnect everything then reconnect or sometimes just reboot the router .

Telus doesn't offer a modem only device anymore, and they don't let you put the actiontec modem/router into bridge mode.

I'm not sure why the combos have taken over the ISPs. Probably because it makes tech support easier, but I find it annoying.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

Some providers want to offer WiFi service (some even charge more to enable the WiFi/router built into the modems they sell), it is cheaper to develop/offer one modem that can do it all, then several models

Ordering a single model of modem from Cisco in the quantity of 1,000,000 (with development) is cheaper than 500,000 WiFi router models and 500,000 modem only units.

Development, only one device to deal with for software
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to ShadowMeph

to ShadowMeph

Nevermind that the routers are such cheap crap that if you even attempt to use your connection it keels over. Do anything more complex than a couple of PCs websurfing and it crashes.

Yes, you can get your full 250Mbps, as long as it's all websurfing.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to zod5000

to zod5000

Re: Why did my Bill jump up 6 dollars?

zod: Remember you aren't an average user. The average user wants these things, its the "5%" that don't.

It doesn't help your situation perhaps, but it does clarify.
ShadowMeph
Abbotsford, BC

ShadowMeph

How do I figure out how close I am to what I think is called a hub in my area. I read somewhere that with Telus that the speeds differ because of the distance of the Hub ? for myself I just want fast solid Internet speeds

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

That only applies to DSL connections, not to cable.

Cable signal levels matter, but not the distance.
ShadowMeph
Abbotsford, BC

ShadowMeph

I understand that, I am really thinking of switching to Telus which is why I asked I don't want to switch and then find out that my connection,speeds are not good compared to shaw.
ShadowMeph

ShadowMeph to kevinds

to kevinds
I understand that, I am really thinking of switching to Telus which is why I asked I don't want to switch and then find out that my connection,speeds are not good compared to shaw.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Probably best to ask that in the Telus section then