Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to PToN

MVM

to PToN

Re: Mailbox sizes... WTF...?!?!?!

Must be nice.... at my old job, a major corporation, they still restricted users to a 500mb mailbox. Anything above that, you have to store locally. Now, I'm not saying give every users a multi-gigabyte mailbox, but 500mb was painful to work with.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Hall:

Must be nice.... at my old job, a major corporation, they still restricted users to a 500mb mailbox. Anything above that, you have to store locally. Now, I'm not saying give every users a multi-gigabyte mailbox, but 500mb was painful to work with.

Bigger companies tend to have smaller email sizes. I am working for the largest organisation I have worked work for and we have the smallest mailbox size.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Some of their arguments against larger mailboxes were in turn related to the number of users: Larger mailboxes x 10,000+ users is a lot of disk space, # of backup tapes req'd, etc

Realistically though, not every user will max out their quota.

Ironically, we were nailed by Sarbanes-Oxley for data retention, but IT still made it the user's problem to handle.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

They did that at work a few years back and I just made my network drive my "local storage" to piss off the IT director.