join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

[OS X] Time Capsule USB Drive

Hi:

I have 2X3TB Time Capsules one is my router, but both do TM backups in alternating fashion. I back up a 256GB iMac with a 4TB thunderbolt Raid 5 attached, a 750GB rMBP, and a 128GB MB Air. The TCs are starting to fill up. If I attach a 4TB USB drive to each of them, is there a way to increase the capacity of each TC making them essentially 7TB TCs?

I have added a seagate 4TB USB drive to one, and it just shows up as another network drive. I would like it's capacity to be added to the TM "Data" not as a separate drive. Can this be done?

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Nope, you can't join them to form a big TC drive...

If you want large, expandable time capsule storage, you need to get a NAS like a QNAP.
--

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
That's too bad! Apple is selling 4 and 5 TB thunderbolt Raid add-ons, and only 3TB TCs for Time Machine. That's not a lot if you want to keep a year's worth of history in TM. Guess I will just get a couple more 4TB Seagates, hang them off the TCs, and divvy up the sequential backups between the 4 drives. Or an NAS; but that seems like a very expensive option.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

If you want large, expandable time capsule storage, you need to get a NAS like a QNAP.

Just have to make 100% sure that the NAS *will* work with Time Machine.
--
Start Communications Forum

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
said by MichelR:

said by HiVolt:

I have been following this discussion. It seems like about 90% of folks who are having corrupted TM backups are using third party NAS machines, and Synology seems to be the prevalent vendor.

I got interested in the thread last year when I had a corrupted spares bundle on one of my TCs. The fix was to hard wire the TCs with ethernet. No trouble since. But folks with other NAS TCs are having big troubles.

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
I didn't know about that particular problem. Early on (when I got my iMac last summer) I saw a lot of reports of Time Machine simply not backing up to various NAS devices anymore (especially through SMB, which Apple screwed up bad anyway).
--
Start Communications Forum

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MichelR
said by MichelR:

said by HiVolt:

Yeah, QNAP supports them. I have restored from one at work a few times...

In fact the functionality of restoring is identical to a genuine TC, I've even restored a 10.6 Snow Leopard machine from a boot CD over the network. No problem.
--