uniqs
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Windows 8 Driver Question

Windows Update is offering AMD Serial ata Driver, Do I need that driver installed? I usually don't install drivers from Windows update, so most likely plan on ignoring that..

Have an HP P6-2133W
AMD based APU System
AMD A6-3620 Radeon 6530D

No new drivers from HP at all

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Unless it is broke - I would not do it and have ignored it on my own machine. I don't ever get drivers from MS only from hardware manufacturer or in most pre-built systems - from the PC manufacturer.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Yes Not updating that--just wanted to confirm for sure.

Appreciate the reply very much

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864

I dont find drivers provided by Microsoft troublesome, as I am using this feature of Windows 7 very often, and have yet see a problem. Those drivers that Microsoft has on their update servers (I think) are tested to work well for the environment they are being installed. The only problem I see could happen is when the hardware being mis-detected for some reason. Yes, the manufacturer of the hardware in question most likely will have newer drivers out on their website, and its good, but, newer isnt always better.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to computerman2

Premium Member

to computerman2
That driver is indeed one from AMD, although it may not be the absolute latest version. It should work either way, so it's up to you if you want to install it. Myself, I'd give it a try (if I didn't already grab it from AMD directly).

AMD's chipset/AHCI drivers can be found here, if you want to match the dates up.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Yeah right think just running Windows 8 Pro built in serial Ata and such drivers, perhaps I should install 13.1 chipset drivers from Amd
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

I have the chipset drivers installed on my A8-3870K machine, it's working great.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Chipset drivers installed

Should've installed these ages ago, but I guess I figured since HP didn't have any on there site for this PC Model, I didn't bother with it, when most likely I should've installed these a long time ago

Thanks everyone for the replies