There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to PToN

Re: Mailbox sizes... WTF...?!?!?!

said by PToN:

We have lowered the attachment size to 10MB, i guess they must be sending multiple 10MB emails.

I uniformly restrict attachments to 2mb because many receiving sites still cutoff at that. For large file exchanges, we use the clients' websites or a cloud solution. Not only does this eliminate a lot of clutter and redundancy in the mailstore and file system, it also frees-up bandwidth across the board, not to mention eliminates the time-wasting calls about "I've tried sending this message 10x and it keeps bouncing with 'too big for mailbox'..."

I also restrict mailbox size to between 2 and 3.5gb. I started doing this after a client was subpoenaed for the emails of specific employees (not the whole organization). This guarantees that a mailbox can be dumped in its entirety at any time to a PST that fits on a single DVD.

said by PToN:

I do agree with the retention policy, but i find it hard to get upper management behind this. They are the ones that use the "Deleted Items" folder store emails...

I know that pain all too well. However, my experience has been that after they've had a few weeks to get the bitching about the tyrant CIO and yet another of his stupid rules out of their their system, you don't hear much, if any, further grousing about it.

One tactic I have used with those hell-bent on misusing the Deleted folder is to send out a notice that routine cleanup on the mailboxes will be performed and that anything in the deleted messages folders will be permanently lost as a result...and that this will be the case from now on to avoid problems with the server. Dump the folder to a PST, delete the contents, and set Outlook to empty it on exit. (Make sure Exchange is set to not purge deleted items until after backing-up.) The user will freak the f* out. "I said this was going to happen." They usually get with the program after that.

Another tactic is to make sure their wastebasket is overflowing (add stuff from others if necessary), hide it before the cleaning crew arrives. Put it back after they're gone. The person will certainly note (and likely complain) that there's stuff in there. Teachable moment: It's the same as not emptying your deleted items folder. Use mail folders correctly and you won't have problems.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."