DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

[Kinda OT] Distinctive Ring no longer offered?

This is OT but since there's no specific forum for VZ wireline phone...

I happened to be nosing around my Verizon services section and noticed that for the "Distinctive Ring" feature it says that if it's removed it can't be put back. A little more nosing around and it says it's no longer available to new customers in my area (copper or FiOS). Any idea when they withdrew it from marketing? Any idea what the rationale was?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I can't remember but do you have copper or FiOS? If it's FiOS, I can move you over to our Vz FiOS forum. Otherwise you are okay here. Let me know.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC

DC DSL

Premium Member

I'm copper DSL. I'd post in FiOS but since it's not expected in my neighborhood until 2014...

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Then I'll just leave you here until 2014.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to DC DSL

MVM

to DC DSL
Interesting I had forgotten about this POTS feature.

»www22.verizon.com/Suppor ··· ring.htm

My guess, I'm making an assumption, is that Verizon would rather sell customers individual lines. Makes sense since lots of folks are dropping landlines so in most locations there is a surplus of unused copper.

/tom

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL
The feature was not very popular as it had a few drawbacks. One issue was even if your roommate had the second number all outgoing calls would show as the main number. There was still only one dial tone if and if any phone on the line was in use the line would still be tied up. In this day and age there are better options like GV or voip for a full second line. Cell phones are also an option for a full second line.

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

rollinraver to DC DSL

to DC DSL
Distinctive ring is just one of SEVERAL basic options (and functions of electronic switching systems) that have been grandfathered by big ugly. This came down about 6 months ago I think. Not so popular, pure profit, so they withdrew them. Sounds about right, ya think?

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

1 edit

DC DSL to norbert26

Premium Member

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

The feature was not very popular as it had a few drawbacks. One issue was even if your roommate had the second number all outgoing calls would show as the main number. There was still only one dial tone if and if any phone on the line was in use the line would still be tied up. In this day and age there are better options like GV or voip for a full second line. Cell phones are also an option for a full second line.

It was never intended or marketed as an additional line solution, just an alias number, like an email account alias. Actually, it has been around in one form or another for decades. I took it several years ago when I decided it was no longer worthwhile paying for the second line I had used primarily for my dialup modem and fax. It's now an endpoint for the Google Voice number I use for business. Beaucoup handy being able to decide if I want to look and see who's calling when I'm not near the phone. I avoid giving out my cell number, and since I got GV I only give out my actual home digits if I deem it absolutely necessary. I am not a huge fan of residential VoIP because it still is not reliable enough, and voice quality can majorly suck. Since I work from home, I must have clear voice and phone availability at all times.
DC DSL

1 recommendation

DC DSL to rollinraver

Premium Member

to rollinraver
said by rollinraver:

Distinctive ring is just one of SEVERAL basic options (and functions of electronic switching systems) that have been grandfathered by big ugly. This came down about 6 months ago I think. Not so popular, pure profit, so they withdrew them. Sounds about right, ya think?

Kinda around the time they put back the requirement for having voice to get DSL. I wonder what the actual uptake for DR was in places that had lots of second lines for modems...versus, say, those old numbers being ported-out?

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL
A lest you will get fios Because where I live I will never get it.