This is a sub-selection from Subsidies are good
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

1 recommendation

chgo_man99 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Subsidies are good

financing != (does not equal) affordability.

It makes it easier to obtain expensive device earlier for people with less expendable income. But if people struggle to obtain something even for under $600, maybe they should not be buying expensive gadgets in the first place?

Thats why our economy is in trouble because many people borrow to the hilt whether its for cars, mortgage, student loans. Today interest rates on savings account are useless. Stocks and bonds don't offer the same liquidity and guarantee against loss as fixed assets such as cash.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The iPad Mini was $559 as I bought the one with 4G in it + 32 GB of memory.

I live on a tight budget but I have money for the necessities and some luxuries (like pay TV and Internet). My rent and utilities are paid each month.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

And again- if you could NOT fiance the iPad you could not buy it- meaning you did a "rent to own" option if you will. The point is; this is only going to cause more problems in the long run. It did not help you. It only spread those payments out. You could have still paid for it by saving.

But as we all know- VZW can do no wrong with you as you are their poster child.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I financed the iPad with Verizon Wireless. I still had to pass a credit check and while I might have credit issues in the past, I have good credit with VZW (since I pay them on time each month).
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Was it interest free? if it wasn't would you still buy it on "credit" or wait a few weeks or months to get one?
This is a sub-selection from Subsidies are good