uniqs

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to rolande

to rolande

Re: AT&T DSL Rebranded as uVerse

I'm referring to the semantics.

AT&T claimed DSL was a dead end product.
»AT&T CEO Calls DSL 'Obsolete'
said by karl Bode :
Speaking at the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners summer meeting in Los Angeles, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson made a rather interesting statement for the CEO of a company that sells DSL service: he called the technology "obsolete. ... Stephenson effectively argued that his own company is obsolete. "
It would be problematic for AT&T to continue selling "DSL" as an admitted obsolete product. So they rebranded single copper pair DSL as uVerse.

A subtle semantic shift, but with uVerse being described to the public as a high-speed nirvana, consumers will think they really are getting something new that is faster, when they aren't.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by WHT:

It would be problematic for AT&T to continue selling "DSL" as an admitted obsolete product. So they rebranded single copper pair DSL as uVerse.

They did not. If you have "single pair" legacy ADSL (ATM+PPPoE), you do not have U-verse.

If you have "single pair" U-verse-only service, you have IPDSL (ADSL2+/PTM/802.1x auth) service (in some rare cases, could be VDSL service), which is very different from legacy ADSL.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

said by NormanS:

said by WHT:

They did not. If you have "single pair" legacy ADSL (ATM+PPPoE), you do not have U-verse.

Again...In Oklahoma you can no longer order the DSL product by name. AT&T only offers the uVerse product, even if it is single pair copper. It was a name rebranding of their single pair DSL.

/edit to add
Buddy of mine had the DSL product for sometime and was listed as DSL on the monthly billing. Around first of the year, the word DSL was replaced with uVerse. He still has the same DSL modem he's had for three years.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by WHT:

Again...In Oklahoma you can no longer order the DSL product by name. AT&T only offers the uVerse product, even if it is single pair copper. It was a name rebranding of their single pair DSL.

/edit to add
Buddy of mine had the DSL product for sometime and was listed as DSL on the monthly billing. Around first of the year, the word DSL was replaced with uVerse. He still has the same DSL modem he's had for three years.

So just what modem does your body have? In the legacy SBC region ADSL2/2+ was never offered. Furthermore, last I checked a former residence, AT&T offered both legacy ADSL and U-verse HSI.

Here is the official FAQ:

»IP-DSLAM FAQ

U-verse HSI is ADSL2+ over a PTM network with 802.1x authentication.

AT&T High Speed DSL is ADSL over an ATM network with PPPoE authentication.

The modems are not interchangeable. The services are as different as a Ford Escalade and a Ford Thunderbird.

Again ... AT&T U-verse HSI is not AT&T High Speed DSL "re-branded"!