join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Subsidies are good

said by IowaCowboy:

If it weren't for the subsidy, I could not afford an iPhone.

Rent to own companies really want people like you.

Consider the price for a subsidized 32gig iPhone, $299 and $100 a month. Over the course of two years you have paid $2700. Now consider a phone you buy, $750 at Apple, $45 a month with Straight Talk and over two years you have spent $1830. Your two year, can't afford the phone, just cost you an additional $870, the cost of a new phone, again. You have effectively paid for two phones.

Better to save your money for a few months, buy the phone outright, and then go with a prepaid plan.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
And what is the cap on straight talk, they might advertise unlimited but once you hit a gig, you get kicked off the network and lose your phone number. I've had the same phone number since 2009 and I've had the same home phone number since 2007.

Like I said, I'd rather do business with a tier 1 company that owns and controls the network. And with postpaid, you have access to more towers (VZ + partner towers) where prepay you have limited towers (VZ towers only) and I was told that by a VZ employee.

When the iPhone first came out, no subsidy plus two year contract at full price.

If I could buy the phone outright, I'd still go with VZ but on a month to month basis with the freedom to upgrade or switch carriers at anytime.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by IowaCowboy:

And what is the cap on straight talk, they might advertise unlimited but once you hit a gig, you get kicked off the network and lose your phone number.

You get throttled, not kicked off. Your assertion is incorrect. Exceed limits on most carriers, even Sprint, and you will get throttled. The limits are large enough that unless you are streaming video you will likely not hit the limit. Watching video on a phone is torture.
said by IowaCowboy:

I've had the same phone number since 2009 and I've had the same home phone number since 2007.

I have had the same cell number since 2000 and the same home phone number since 1988. What is magical about having the same number? Using Google Voice I can change cell numbers every month if I so desire. Having the same phone number is a non-issue.
said by IowaCowboy:

Like I said, I'd rather do business with a tier 1 company that owns and controls the network.

Your choice.
said by IowaCowboy:

And with postpaid, you have access to more towers (VZ + partner towers) where prepay you have limited towers (VZ towers only) and I was told that by a VZ employee.

Straight Talk uses AT&T towers. Verizon uses CDMA whereas ST uses GSM which is available outside the US. I can travel to another country, buy a SIM, and have phone service while I am in the foreign country.
said by IowaCowboy:

When the iPhone first came out, no subsidy plus two year contract at full price.

So you paid an extra $55.00 a month for two years for nothing.
said by IowaCowboy:

If I could buy the phone outright, I'd still go with VZ but on a month to month basis with the freedom to upgrade or switch carriers at anytime.

As long as your phone will support GSM and CDMA. Otherwise you will be limited to switching to carriers that only support the protocol that your phone supports.

Had Verizon offered a phone, unlocked, full price, with a prepaid contract for $50.00 I would have taken it. But Verizon did not offer such at the time that I made the switch. All Verizon offered was a subsidized phone at $100 a month as a data plan was mandatory. Tack only all the extra "recovery" fees (ie profit) that Verizon adds and the cost with Verizon can get pricey.

If you want to spend twice what a phone costs over two years, and continue paying that price once the contract is up, it is your choice. Rent-to-Own companies really like people with your way of thinking. Paying double what a product actually costs the retailer provides nothing but profit for the provider.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
ST also uses Verizon towers for the CMDA phones. Yes, they have both.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to raythompsontn
said by raythompsontn:

If you want to spend twice what a phone costs over two years, and continue paying that price once the contract is up, it is your choice. Rent-to-Own companies really like people with your way of thinking. Paying double what a product actually costs the retailer provides nothing but profit for the provider.

One way to solve that problem would be if everybody did this and stick to them, upgrade your phone exactly every 2 years or earlier whenever eligible for upgrade. Because once contract expires and still you continue to pay a full price each month, they rack up profits like crazy. Even worse so for unlucky souls who got hooked up on share mobile plans. They are not cheaper than plain old individual/family plans but tradeoff valuable GBs for unlimited talk and texts who in this modern age of Skype and iMessage, etc no one needs anymore. Plus $10 extra for each tablet is insulting, kinda defeating the primary purpose of share plans. Unless you want argue with me their primary purpose is for making fat profits.