Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to trparky

Re: Is on-board RealTek audio really that bad?

said by trparky:

For the average user that listens to occasional music with a decent pair of headphones, would getting a dedicated sound card be even worth it?

Frankly, not really. Some might be able to tell the difference, but it also depends on your source material. If what you usually listen to is streaming radio or 160k MP3s, the it really dosen't matter.

Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy Cable

said by sk1939:

said by trparky:

For the average user that listens to occasional music with a decent pair of headphones, would getting a dedicated sound card be even worth it?

Frankly, not really. Some might be able to tell the difference, but it also depends on your source material. If what you usually listen to is streaming radio or 160k MP3s, the it really dosen't matter.

My answer would be... depends on whether you can hear the system noise in your headphones.

I can hear higher frequencies than the average person, and system noise bugs the hell out of me. Putting the speakers an inch away from my ear drum is just going to make the system sound that much more audible.

I'm 40, so technically my high frequency response should be dropping off soon. The younger you are, the higher the frequency you can hear, in general.