how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

postmortem

join:2006-04-28
Cedar Rapids, IA

"Put me on your do not call list" = "whatever&quo

Can these sales calls about selling phone services or VIP packages be stopped? I get them with frequency of one per week to one per month. I've clearly stated each time that I am not interested, and I've also said that wanted to be put to do not call list. Which worked for a while, and it obviously does not work anymore.

Great way to get rid of your existing customers.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117

Re: "Put me on your do not call list" = "whatever

I've got that taken care of for you! It can take a little while for the do not call feature to populate all lists.

postmortem

Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to postmortem
Thanks on the fast response, but for now I'll mute the phone

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
No problem. Let me know if you need anything else!

Tehrasha

join:2004-12-15
Vinton, IA
If only the opt-out on the 404 redirect was as permanent...

After several months of being blissfully MIA it has reared its head again. My IP address has not changed in over a year, yet I have had to reset the preference in Feb, Mar and Apr...

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Hello Tehrasha,

All signals look good on this end. I did send a signal over to your modem that should have caused it to reboot. Please let me know if this gets rid of your 404 redirect pages.

postmortem

Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to postmortem
Well you did not help. I got another call today from the same number.
This is nothing but a harassment, so I will be dropping all your services.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
said by postmortem:

Well you did not help. I got another call today from the same number.
This is nothing but a harassment, so I will be dropping all your services.

Lemme guess you will also sue for mental suffering? I guess good news for you once you have no business with Mediacom they have to honor the do not call request.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I did let you know that it should take some time to go through. I do apologize you received another call.

Klarth

join:2005-09-16
Oronogo, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to postmortem
Huh, they let you opt out of the incessant calling about phone service? Sign me up too, then. Does that also include the junk snail mail you guys send almost every week as well? I have to say from a marketing standpoint, sending letters with "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT" plastered on the envelope, only to see another letter begging me to sign up for a service I didn't want the first 100 times you asked is not really going to make me want to use Mediacom even if we did need a landline.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Tehrasha
said by Tehrasha:

If only the opt-out on the 404 redirect was as permanent...

After several months of being blissfully MIA it has reared its head again. My IP address has not changed in over a year, yet I have had to reset the preference in Feb, Mar and Apr...

Are you using the mediacom DNS? If so change it. Changed mine and don't get the redirect to mediacom crap.

Tehrasha

join:2004-12-15
Vinton, IA
said by CappinHoff:

Are you using the mediacom DNS? If so change it. Changed mine and don't get the redirect to mediacom crap.

Nope, Ive been using a combination of Google's DNS and OpenDNS servers for over a year.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I've got that taken care of for you Klarth. I know it is to stop the calling, I'm not sure about the mail though.

CappinHoff

Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Tehrasha
said by Tehrasha:

said by CappinHoff:

Nope, Ive been using a combination of Google's DNS and OpenDNS servers for over a year.

That is odd. I've been using OpenDNS since I went with mediacom and only get O-DNS's redirect.

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
If you guys want to fix this its simple.. I setup my account and gave them my phone number then later i got a new cell provider and a new phone number, but never gave MC my new number, ignorance is bliss... Change your number and dont tell them the new one... LOL

You can still access your account no problem, when you call them you just enter or tell them the old number and no problem. But now they can't call me night and day with offers to upgrade me to BLAH BLAH BLAH.. That was too much.

StreatorTech

join:2009-12-02
Streator, IL
reply to postmortem
I know this is old, but Chad did take care of you. According to the time stamps on the forum posts, you posted this the following day from Chad he would take care of it. Most things of this nature take 24-72 hours to complete.

jrodson69

join:2012-10-02
Independence, IA
reply to kb0nly
Precisely what I do and not just with Mediacom. It's a good idea for most companies.

Klarth

Oronogo, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to postmortem
Though Chad did seem to be effective in stopping the incessant calls regarding their garbage phone service, I got home today to see a letter from Mediacom in a gold envelope with "Account Status Notification / Examine and update immediately" stamped on the front. After anxiously opening it right away thinking it might be related to Mediacom forcing people off of grandfathered data plans onto their cash-grab capped plans, I see that it is once again, another attempt to get me to sign up for phone service. These come in every few weeks or so anyway, but this one was just so odious that I just had to vent a little. I'm guessing Mediacom just picked up their new marketing whiz that got an online degree from Phoenix University who received a phishing e-mail from a Nigerian prince and decided "huh, that's a good idea for the masses". This tactic is just pathetic and shameless, even by Mediacom standards.

I realize social media team members are probably lower on the totem pole than where these decisions are made, but please, just pass it on. I really, really don't want your phone service and trying to trick your customers into seeing more advertising is probably not helping. Thanks!

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I have heard a few other reports on this. I'm looking into it.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1
reply to Klarth
sorry to age an old post, but when i read this i thought "nah, mediacom cant be THAT scammy could they?" then i realized, since roco took over they went down hill, so yes, yes they can be. for any one not lucky enough to have gotten hit by one of these yet, here ya go!

envelope_front

envelope_back

insert_front

insert_back

letter_front

letter_back

i find the part about E911 hilarious, especially if you read the terms on the mediacomtoday website, which reads.

You can report police, medical, fire and other emergencies by dialing 911 and be connected to a live emergency operator.

However, if there is an extended outage, or if Mediacom's network is inoperable, your Mediacom phone service will not operate, including the ability to call 911.

We do recommend maintaining alternative service such as a cellular phone in case of a power outage or an outage on Mediacom's network. If you are not able to maintain another phone service, and do require 911 access at all times due to health problems or something similar, it may be better for you to consider a more traditional type of phone service that is suitable to your needs.

(emphasis added)

even more hilarious is the "low cost cell backup" when they tell you to keep a cell as a backup...

so i figured heck, their fine print says to have a cell as a back up, why not just switch it to a cell and save. so i did.

when my promo ran out i called them and asked to extend it, they refused, i politely told them id port out other wise as i could get these same features cheaper by just adding a line to my cell, that would all so include voice mail. they refused.

so i called up my cell provider and arranged a switch, called mediacom up once more to try to keep the promo, advised them of the switch out date and no attempt was ever made to keep me.

then of course, the calls started, and the letters. even had some one knock at my door wanting me to get there phone service. sorry, but as ive told them countless times before, unless they give me that phone service for not one penny more than im paying to have it as an extra line on my cell, including voice mail, for as long as my cell provider offers that rate. and pays the etf, there is no way in hades there getting me back. not with the issues i had with that service. like the fact that after "maintenance" many times it would not reconnect the phone and it took me resetting it my self, and even then it wouldnt dial out until you called in from another line. no idea why it did that but it did.

but really, this here is just flat out scammy.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Yes I got one of those two as well I opened it up read it and thought aww man I want the last five minutes of my life back

I want to stop to Chad

Klarth

Oronogo, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Anyone seen that latest scam letter from MediaCom that they just sent out? This one has "Notice of Service Enhancement" plastered on the front. What enhancements? Improved stability and reduced outages? Maybe better speeds, or removal of the ridiculously greedy artificial data caps? No, of course not. What do I see when I open it but another pathetic attempt to get me to buy a phone service I don't need or want. This practice has gone beyond pathetic, and I'd really like to see if the social media drones MediaCom employs could at least do some research to look at sales statistics to see if these spam letters are actually increasing phone service agreements, because I just can't imagine who would buy into this rubbish, and it's clear they have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1
yup, just got it to day and was debating about scanning and posting. all i know is people are going to start tossing letters from mediacom in the trash, sooner or later mediacom will send something important, people will think its junk and tos it. then mediacom will have a hissy fit. and i hope when that day happens people sue them in to oblivion for there marketing practices. i mean if all you ever get is "important service changes" that are spam, then when you finally GET an "important service change" what the hell do they expect people to do?

seriously, who evers in charge of marketing needs to be fired.

CappinHoff

Des Moines, IA
reply to thedragonmas
How is it scammy?

Klarth

Oronogo, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to postmortem
Sorry for the late response, but as today the latest scam mail came in today with "Account Decision Pending" stamped in ominous writing, it's a good time. Here, let me dictionary.com that for you:

scam
[skam]
a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle.

swin·dle
[swin-dl]
to obtain by fraud or deceit.

de·ceit
[dih-seet]
the act or practice of deceiving; concealment or distortion of the truth for the purpose of misleading;

If I were to put an advertisement for my unnecessary service (not even going into fact that they themselves admit it's not supposed to be treated as a reliable service for emergencies and that you should have a cell "backup") and put it in an envelope stamped as if it were from the IRS and drop it into your mailbox, would you be unhappy at the time wasted or perhaps the worry it might cause? Is it so worth defending this company that this kind of behavior is OK? Are any of their statements legally lies? Maybe not, but it's undeniable the deception involved. Each one of these letters talks about saving money. How am I really saving money if I am spending more money and getting zero gain? This particular letter talks of loyalty bonuses. I'd really like to see some confirmation from Chad about these "bonuses", and what criteria they used to decide I'm a "preferred customer" deserving of this offer.

At least they had the courtesy to attach a name to the letter this time, and it appears this asshole is the one responsible for adding to America's landfills: »www.linkedin.com/in/davidmcnaughton

I apologize for an earlier post where I assumed their marketing whiz went to an online university. Looks like it was Southern Methodist University. My bad.

I'll tell you what, I'll stop complaining about these when he lists his title as what his LinkedIn profile states (SVP of Marketing) instead of the more innocuous "Mediacom Preferred Accounts" on the letters. A little truth in advertising would be nice for a change.