how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigblackhat

join:2009-06-20
Phoenix, AZ

Bridging Century Link C1000A

Okay how to my Bridge my Century Link C1000A so I can let my ASUS RT-AC66U handle all the wireless operations and web surfing. I just wanna use the C1000A as the DSL model only. Thanks for the help

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

If you are in a PPPoE area, you will need to get your PPPoE username and password from CL to enter in your router.

Log into the modem and disable the wireless radio. Check it a couple times to make sure it turned off. I had to set mine twice, and reboot it, to get it to stay off.

Print out the Connection Status and DSL Status from the Modem Status Page. Go to Broadband Settings on the Advanced Setup Page and set Items 1 and 5 to match (WAN Type, VPI/VCI, Priority). set Item 2 to Auto and set Item 3 to LLC Bridged.

Go to IP Addressing on the Advanced Setup Page. Look through the menu options. If it is available, select Release the WAN IP Address. Under WAN Settings, Change the ISP Protocol to Transparent Bridging.

Be sure to Apply the settings after making changes on each page.

Go to the Utilites Page and reboot the modem. After reboot, you will no longer be able to access the modem from the browser. This is normal.

When in Bridge mode, the DSL light will show connected, the Internet light will not, this is normal.

Log into the router and change the WAN setup to match your area (DHCP or PPPoE). Your router should now have a public IP address.

bigblackhat

Phoenix, AZ

All makes sense so far except for this Items 1 and 5 to match (WAN Type, VPI/VCI, Priority), where do I get these setting froms, and how do I set up my Asus RT-AC66U

bigblackhat

Phoenix, AZ

Also which is a better way to do it ths way »qwest.centurylink.com/internethe···g-q.html

or your way?

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4

Bill's way is just more robust and adds more detail to ensure that it will work the first time you do it.

Most of the steps are the same.

You can do it CL's way if you want. After you are done with that, reboot the MODEM.

Then check the router to ensure that it is setup correctly and that you have a public IP address. If necessary, you may have to reboot the router.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

bigblackhat

Phoenix, AZ

Here is a dumb question can I plug the Asus into the C1000A and use both routers at the same time? So that way I can just have certain devices connected to each router

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4

Yes you can. Just one of many:

»compnetworking.about.com/od/rout···work.htm
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to bigblackhat

said by bigblackhat:

All makes sense so far except for this Items 1 and 5 to match (WAN Type, VPI/VCI, Priority), where do I get these setting froms, and how do I set up my Asus RT-AC66U

This data comes from the Status Pages. It is not necessary, just makes the modem boot a little faster.

The only setup change that is required in the Asus router is to configure the WAN type for PPPoE instead of DHCP.