uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Jonathan987

to Jonathan987

Re: MODEM - Options

said by Jonathan987:

great reply TypeS; is there a way of knowing what type of remote you will be on without first going out to find it in your neighbourhood?

what modems do you recommend and why assuming that BYOM goes through?

From what others have posted, the only way to be 100% sure what remote you're on is once you have a VDSL service active and TekSavvy pulls your line stats. Apparently you can tell by the outside chassis holding the remote equipment if you find it, although I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

If you're on a 7330 Remote, these are the modems by consensus:

ZyXEL VSG1432
ZyXEL Prestige 870H-51A v2
Hauwei HG610
Actiontec (Not sure what model numbers, I don't think any were ever posted, but they have a few).

I think BYOM is in the air at the momment. Velcom is started offering BYOM (but that doesn't make the Stinger vs 7330 problem go away), Start has stated they are working to get a separate modem certified (no more details given) and TekSavvy has said you will be able to buyout a Bell modem and they're working on BYOM. As I understand it, right now Bell ties VDSL2 service to a Sagemcom or Cellpipe modem serial number. Maybe Marc's haggling Bell to allow BYOM, who knows. So I would hold off on investing in a modem, renting a Sagemcom is the safe way to go for now.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

the Sagemcom serial isn't actually tied to the service I believe, it's just that Bell registers the serial in their DB and refuses to turn up service without it right now.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Apparently you can tell by the outside chassis holding the remote equipment if you find it, although I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

The physical cabinet is of little help in cases like the earlier photograph that shows a probable 7330 + stinger setup.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by InvalidError:

said by TypeS:

Apparently you can tell by the outside chassis holding the remote equipment if you find it, although I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

The physical cabinet is of little help in cases like the earlier photograph that shows a probable 7330 + stinger setup.

Yeah, that's why I said I wouldn't the physical cabinet as any kind of guarantee what type of remote a person can be on. Renting the first month is probably the best option so a person can find out what remote they're on and troubleshoot any issues before going the BYOM route.

poser2
@teksavvy.com

poser2

Anon

Update on modem purchase???
Jonathan987
join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Jonathan987 to TypeS

to TypeS
thanks for your reply TypeS, yeah it'd be nice to see the BYOM become legit without having to rent.
I've tried searching for the ZyXEL P870M-I1-V2 to no avail; it would be nice to have a unit that is simply a bridge without all the extra ports and wifi, etc.