Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
reply to koitsu

Re: Is on-board RealTek audio really that bad?

So, what would you recommend?

In terms of audio quality, the Asus sound cards beat the onboard Realtek in this article: »techreport.com/review/23358/asus···reviewed One Asus card uses Cirrus Logic chips while the other uses Wolfson.

I have had good luck with Cirrus Logic, which Apple tends to use them in their Mac lineup (like my MacBook Pro: »www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+···n/9515/2)
--
less talk, more music

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

At least according to that review you posted, the Xonar DGX and the Xonar DSX are two very different cards.

The Xonar DSX has no on-board preamp for the use of headphones whereas the Xonar DGX does. The DSX assumes that you're going to use an external amp for headphones and speakers. DGX has all of what you need work right out of the box, preamp and all.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Ctrl Alt Del

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

So, what would you recommend?

I recommend people go with whatever works for them. Your needs are probably different from my needs.

I'm not doing anything wild/crazy with these cards, I simply use them normally, just that I rely on some features that many implement in broken/wonky ways, or play certain games or run certain applications that do a great job of finding driver-level bugs/design issues. So it's impossible for me to give recommendations to people.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.