Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matt3925

join:2013-04-05
Little Rock, AR

[Speed] Should have blast 50 but only receiving blast 30

1) Your location: Little Rock, AR

2) On March 6th I received an email from Comcast stating that they had upgraded my internet from blast 30 to blast 50. I power cycled my modem and instantly started receiving the new rate of 52/10. All was great until that night/the next morning when the cable went out. When it came back, I was receiving my old rate of 35/6. I tested on multiple devices, but still got the same results. I called customer service and was told that they had prematurely upgraded my neighborhood and that the maintenance wouldn't be completed until the 26th of March. So I waited until the 28th, but I was still getting the exact same speed test as I was when I was on blast 30. Called tech support, they checked and said everything was provisioned correctly and that my modem had the correct boot file. So they sent out a tech, and the tech couldn't find anything wrong at the site. When he tested the line, it registered 61 Mbps at the coax connection to the modem. However speed test still show that I am getting 35/6 consistently. I called tech support again and they told me everything was setup correctly and that all maintenance on the neighborhood was complete and they would have to send out a tech to recheck things. I feel like I am starting to get the run around here, hopefully someone here can give me some insight. Thanks

tl;dr: getting blast 30 rates when I should be getting blast 50.

3) The issue is constant.

4) Zoom 5350,

5) Computer is hard wired directly to the modem, some devices are wireless.

6) No firewall and/or anti-virus software.

• I should be subscribed to blast 50.

• Post a Tweak Test: I am running Windows 7.

• Chrome was used to perform this speed test.

• This is a homerun wire from the outside service hookup directly to the modem. Run is 4 years old, and the line to the pole is less than a year old.

CONNECTION:

LOG:

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
Not to play "Captain Obvious", but if the tech is getting 61Mbps at the coax to modem point, there are 2 - 3 things to look at:

1. It has been a known issue that some anti-virus software bottle-necks above 30 - 35 Mbps. Try disabling it temporarily and run speed test and see if this the case.

2. If that is not the case, it may be the modem/gateway.

You didn't say if you are running wireless or not! The Zoom 5350 of course is a wireless gateway...just because it is an 11N wireless device does not ensure that it is properly set up for best performance. Fro example, many routers/gateways by default are at a "mixed" setting to allow for 11G devices, but that can slow performance. At any rate, if you haven't done so, connect via ethernet rather than wireless and see what the results are. If they are still slow then...

3. Try replacing the modem with another one, and test the results.

This is not atypical: A lot of folks have set ups that run fine into the 20 - 30 Mbps range, only to discover that they are not really set up to take advantage of 50Mbps speeds.
--
Deeds, not words

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to matt3925
disregard.

matt3925

Little Rock, AR

1 edit
reply to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

1. It has been a known issue that some anti-virus software bottle-necks above 30 - 35 Mbps. Try disabling it temporarily and run speed test and see if this the case.

No firewall and/or anti-virus software.

said by PeteC2:

The computer that I use to do speed tests is hardwired directly to the modem. Wireless devices are only used to confirm theses results. Even if there was a throughput error on wireless on the high end I would still expect to be able to receive the 10Mbps upload but do not.

said by PeteC2:

This is not atypical: A lot of folks have set ups that run fine into the 20 - 30 Mbps range, only to discover that they are not really set up to take advantage of 50Mbps speeds.

I know the modem can handle the 50Mbps speed as I received it for the one day and it worked flawlessly. I know the simple troubleshoot would be to exchange the modem, but I am in school and don't have that kind of free money laying around.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by matt3925:

said by PeteC2:

No firewall and/or anti-virus software.

said by PeteC2:

The computer that I use to do speed tests is hardwired directly to the modem. Wireless devices are only used to confirm theses results. Even if there was a throughput error on wireless on the high end I would still expect to be able to receive the 10Mbps upload but do not.

said by PeteC2:

I know the modem can handle the 50Mbps speed as I received it for the one day and it worked flawlessly. I know the simple troubleshoot would be to exchange the router, but I am in school and don't have that kind of free money laying around.

No Antivirus or Firewall software? Bad idea. Ask around the security/software forum and get some, quick! There are more then a few good, free ones out there. Not being able to afford it these days, is no excuse for not keeping your hardware protected.

And if you can't afford a new router to keep up with the speeds, you either have 2 choices. Live with your current set up and limited speeds until you can afford to replace the router. Or if downloading things on computer, connect the computer right to the modem and download whatever at your full 50 megs and then hook it back up to the router once done. I have used that technique in verifying speeds and/or issues.

I do hope you find the solution to your speed problems. I myself are having similar problems at the moment.

matt3925

Little Rock, AR
said by Chris 313:

No Antivirus or Firewall software? Bad idea. Ask around the security/software forum and get some, quick! There are more then a few good, free ones out there. Not being able to afford it these days, is no excuse for not keeping your hardware protected.

I've been running without for many years never had a problem.

said by Chris 313:

And if you can't afford a new router to keep up with the speeds, you either have 2 choices. Live with your current set up and limited speeds until you can afford to replace the router. Or if downloading things on computer, connect the computer right to the modem and download whatever at your full 50 megs and then hook it back up to the router once done. I have used that technique in verifying speeds and/or issues.

I do hope you find the solution to your speed problems. I myself are having similar problems at the moment.

That is my fault, i misspoke. I know the simple troubleshoot would be to exchange the MODEM, but I am in school and don't have that kind of free money laying around. There are no extra routing devices on the network. The computer is connected directly to the modem.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
reply to matt3925
Try this »zoom.custhelp.com/app/answers/de···_id/1054

It turns off IP flood detection, which doesn't play nice on Comcast.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to matt3925
said by matt3925:

said by Chris 313:

I've been running without for many years never had a problem.

said by Chris 313:

That is my fault, i misspoke. I know the simple troubleshoot would be to exchange the MODEM, but I am in school and don't have that kind of free money laying around. There are no extra routing devices on the network. The computer is connected directly to the modem.

Then you're very lucky. I hope it holds. I know people who weren't so lucky and could require extensive clean up.

And oh. In that case, I'd continue with the troubleshooting. Keep at it. You'll find the solution. Whatever it is.

matt3925

Little Rock, AR
reply to TriForce
said by TriForce:

Try this »zoom.custhelp.com/app/answers/de···_id/1054

It turns off IP flood detection, which doesn't play nice on Comcast.

already disabled, thanks for the suggestion.

matt3925

Little Rock, AR

1 edit
reply to TriForce
whoops, dbl post. I can't internet today.