uniqs

devicemanage
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Southampton, PA

devicemanage

Premium Member

[Exchange] Exchange and DNS

I have an exchange server 2010 on top of server 2012 and need some guidance on the dns records needed for exchange.

the local domain name is domain.lcl and the public domain name will be i.e. www.somethingdiffernt.com and the mx record will point to mail.somethingdifferent.com

there are currently records in dns for the .lcl and I would imagine that I need mx and an a record for the public added as well. Can someone confirm or deny this for me please. Thank you!

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

You don't need a MX record in the .lcl zone. You will need records for autodiscover, OWA, and Outlook Anywhere. You'll need those in the public DNS as well as the MX record.
OldAuditor
join:2007-03-24
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor to devicemanage

to devicemanage
And if you are going to send emails to certain overseas countries, you need your ISP to set up a PTR record. Otherwise your email address will not resolve back to the correct server.

Old

devicemanage
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Southampton, PA

devicemanage

Premium Member

ok I have the mx and a records pointing to my ip address at the domain hosting company, set them up last night and they are resolving correctly.

As far as the dns in the local domain, is that where I also create an mx record pointing to mail and an a record for www?

freebird317
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA
Netgear R8000
Netgear R6300 v1
(Software) DD-WRT

freebird317 to devicemanage

Premium Member

to devicemanage
»serverfault.com/question ··· nge-2010

Can help