uniqs
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to PoloDude

to PoloDude

Re: Should I run RG6 or skip it?

said by PoloDude:

No,NO,NO I will tell you right now that putting in splitters in new construction is a last resort. You put in splitters when you can't run an additional coax.

Quite correct!

Basic rule of in building distribution, home run all drops to the point of distribution and only when no other run is possible, split an existing drop.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ
The OP doesnt want it now but maybe in the future a wife, girlfriend, kids, a pet dog may. After the fact installations can be easy or hard. Look ok or be way messy with wire visible everywhere. Built in now it will be neat and clean. Install it to the most logical places a TV would go. It will never be as easy later unless another remodel.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

He should compromise by spending the same amount of $$$ on getting conduits to fewer, but key, locations instead of wiring CATV to every room.

That's more expensive in materials and much harder to do labor wise not to mention the OP already bought the RG6. I seriously doubt they are going to shift gears at this point. Ideally that would be the best way to go but that's insanely rare in new and old construction.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to TheSMJ

Premium Member

to TheSMJ
RG 6 and Cat 5/6 to each room are important to me. When looking at homes, lack of these would affect my offer. If possible drop in some Cat 6.
28727686 (banned)
join:2013-04-08

28727686 (banned) to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ
I'd consider RG6 important to me as well. I wouldn't avoid a house without but I'd certainly reduce the offer I made according to how much I thought it would cost me to install. It's a buyers market and should be for a long time. Until it becomes a seller's market people can and will get away with dinging properties for lack of features like RG6.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

TheSMJ to pandora

to pandora
CAT6 has already been run, terminated and is currently in use. Every room has at least two drops, with the master bedroom having 3, and the family room and bedroom I'm using as an office having 4. It was after I ran it that I realized RG6 might be useful later on down the line.

I plan on only putting in one RG6 drop per bedroom, with two in the family room. The family room is easy w/o drywall. The bedrooms are kind of a PITA, but not impossible.

The living room/dining room are right above the basement, so I'm going to skip them. If I decide I need cable access in these rooms it would be just as easy for me to run RG6 to them then as it is now.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

You don't need 2 or 4 cat 6 runs to each room. Assuming it's not stapled behind the walls, I would tie on a piece of coax to each of the secondary cat6 cables and just pull it through that way. That is how I upgraded all the cat3 wiring in my home (intended for phone) to cat5. It was all strung to the attic and then down to each room. I just tied it off to a piece of cat 5 then slowly pulled it through the house and down into the room. Worked flawlessly.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy :

You don't need 2 or 4 cat 6 runs to each room. Assuming it's not stapled behind the walls, I would tie on a piece of coax to each of the secondary cat6 cables and just pull it through that way. That is how I upgraded all the cat3 wiring in my home (intended for phone) to cat5. It was all strung to the attic and then down to each room. I just tied it off to a piece of cat 5 then slowly pulled it through the house and down into the room. Worked flawlessly.

Which works, assuming you didn't have a careful installer like I did that stapled it the whole way down.