Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to LightS

Premium Member

to LightS

Re: Cheaper iPhone

It could be a VZW issue as the other half of VZW is CDMA and CDMA is a battery killer. Sometimes my phone connects to EVDO instead of LTE (especially in the Northampton/Amherst area and up in Maine). GSM is gentler on batteries than CDMA.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

It could be a VZW issue as the other half of VZW is CDMA and CDMA is a battery killer. Sometimes my phone connects to EVDO instead of LTE (especially in the Northampton/Amherst area and up in Maine). GSM is gentler on batteries than CDMA.

Sprint is CDMA as well.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
It's not that CDMA is that much more of a battery killer for Verizon phones, but that most Verizon's LTE phone's with the exception of the iPhone are always connected to both CDMA for voice and LTE for data.

GSM phone's only connect to LTE, and drop back to HSPA+ for voice and data at the same time when calls are received.

CDMA/LTE can't do that because unlike HSPA/LTE which is based on the same GSM ancestor, CDMA/LTE is a cobbling together of two completely imcompatible networks.

engage16
@myvzw.com

engage16 to LightS

Anon

to LightS
gotta use at&t in western mass and all of new england. I have NO issues with battery life after being now on my 3rd iphone over the years. the download speed is also a LOT faster. I know they don't have a huge LTE market here yet but the hspa+ is sure as heck quick enough for email, web surfing, etc.