Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

iMessage "impossible to intercept"

I guess this is good news to any aspiring criminals, terrorists, etc., but..

quote:
Apple's iMessage encryption trips up feds' surveillance
Internal document from the Drug Enforcement Administration complains that messages sent with Apple's encrypted chat service are "impossible to intercept," even with a warrant.

by Declan McCullagh and Jennifer Van Grove
April 4, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

Encryption used in Apple's iMessage chat service has stymied attempts by federal drug enforcement agents to eavesdrop on suspects' conversations, an internal government document reveals.
An internal Drug Enforcement Administration document seen by CNET discusses a February 2013 criminal investigation and warns that because of the use of encryption, "it is impossible to intercept iMessages between two Apple devices" even with a court order approved by a federal judge.
The DEA's warning, marked "law enforcement sensitive," is the most detailed example to date of the technological obstacles -- FBI director Robert Mueller has called it the "Going Dark" problem -- that police face when attempting to conduct court-authorized surveillance on non-traditional forms of communication.
When Apple's iMessage was announced in mid-2011, Cupertino said it would use "secure end-to-end encryption." It quickly became the most popular encrypted chat program in history: Apple CEO Tim Cook said last fall that 300 billion messages have been sent so far, which are transmitted through the Internet rather than as more costly SMS messages carried by wireless providers...
»news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57577···illance/

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA

1 recommendation

Why is it that anyone who values their privacy must be an aspiring criminal or terrorist?

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

...'twas meant tongue in cheek (with a bit of truth).

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

Why is it that anyone who values their privacy must be an aspiring criminal or terrorist?

To be fair, he might just be characterizing those folks as aspiring etc.s.

(No clue how to punctuate the end of that.)

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to haroldo

Yeah for all those "aspiring criminals" I wouldn't expect Apple to hold out on the cops when they show up with a subpoena for your iMessages

That being said, the encryption probably makes it harder for most run of the mill hackers to get your data too and (according to Apple on their website) the servers are stored encrypted on their servers so the likelihood of them being stolen there is minimal too.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Actually, since they are not bound by CALEA, I would be surprised if they would be forthcoming with information. In fact, as they aren't bound by CALEA, they may not actually keep the data in a useful form for law enforcement.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

From what I've read on other sites Apple is more forthcoming than Google is for law enforcement.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

It's not about being forthcoming, it's about whether they designed the system to allow intercept. They advertised iMessage as encrypted. As they weren't required to provide a backdoor it is very possible that they didn't build one in. I had to make changes to my WISP network to comply with CALEA when it was implemented. They were not under any similar requirement to provide a backdoor intercept. From a security standpoint if you don't need the backdoor don't install one because it could be misused especially on a supposedly encrypted, secure link.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

»www.aclu.org/blog/technology-and···artphone

Listen I trust Apple WAY more than I trust Google or MS with my personal data - but no company wants to get on the wrong side of the police.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow
reply to haroldo

The cynical approach would view this as article as wilfull obfuscation. It may be a clever lie that is intended to make the users of this product feel safe.
This will facilitate law-enforcement getting more information from intercepted traffic. It is just a targeted leak with a target audience in mind.
Even non-criminals should be skeptical of a government that claims inflation is almost non-existent! ~ That is more about cheating retirees from a healthy COLA raise and cheating them out of an extra thirty bucks a month. Times many tens of millions of people, every month; that can add up to some crazy money!
• If they cannot even measure accurately what everyone sees everywhere, do you really think they can do complicated things like understanding decryption technology and adhering to Constitutional requirements for search warrants?
It's a lie.
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.